• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to B-stick zap jump towards the stage for recovery?

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Why not just zap jump facing the stage and tether? It's possible to recover from almost everywhere using that method without PK Thunder.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Relying on Zap Jumping probably isn't the best idea unless it's your only option. Unless your timing is absolutely perfect every time, the slightest error will result in a simple PK fire and your resulting loss of stock.

On most level stages, it's usually real easy to recover using PK Thunder. It goes REALLY far, and Lucas has some good horizontal maneuvering afterwards.

One very important aspect of zap jumping you need to remember is that Lucas's second jump is required for it to work. You cannot use your second jump and then attempt to zap jump; it will not work. So really you'd need to time the zap jump as soon as you're able to regain control of your character when you're sent flying.

Personally, I'm just sticking with PK Thunder.

Levitas

the moon
Relying on Zap Jumping probably isn't the best idea unless it's your only option. Unless your timing is absolutely perfect every time, the slightest error will result in a simple PK fire and your resulting loss of stock.

On most level stages, it's usually real easy to recover using PK Thunder. It goes REALLY far, and Lucas has some good horizontal maneuvering afterwards.

One very important aspect of zap jumping you need to remember is that Lucas's second jump is required for it to work. You cannot use your second jump and then attempt to zap jump; it will not work. So really you'd need to time the zap jump as soon as you're able to regain control of your character when you're sent flying.

Personally, I'm just sticking with PK Thunder.
Honestly, I've only been zap jumping to show off. He's absolutely right, this is a last resort recovery.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
The way I see it is zap jumping is almost always a better option.

Using PK Thunder for recovery has five foreseeable outcomes, four bad and one only slightly good:
1. You aim high to get on the stage. Easily punished.
2. They hit you before you hit yourself.
3. They ledgehog you and you ricochet to your death.
4. They hit you while you're sent flying.
5. You hit them off the ledge and switch places.

Simply falling and zap jumping at the bottom of the screen has many more viable options.
1. You can grab the ledge.
2a. If being edgehogged, you can fake a missed ledgegrab and just wait for a tether as they roll or jump off.
2b. Or you could just use an attack to knock them off the ledge and grab it yourself.
3. You can aim over the ledge and still be capable of attacking.
4. You can hit the enemy with a PK Fire and recover from there.
5. If all else fails you can still PK Thunder.

If you expect them to be waiting for a zap jump to try to catch you in mid-flight and punish, just don't do it. Double jump and tether or PK Thunder. Or if you want to get sneaky you can fake a missed zap jump and hope they lay off pressure.

But then again you should always want to mix it up a bit and not always rely on zap jumping from the bottom of the screen.

And no, zap jumping is not hard at all if you give it some time to practice. Worst case scenario if you miss a zap jump is you PK Fire and fall. As soon as you're free to move again just try it again or simply doublejump and PK Thunder.

Levitas

the moon
You only have to use PKT2 to recover if you're out of the range of the double jump plus rope snake recovery (which means you were hit hard low). So that means you're far away. The charge time on teh PKT2 is much faster than ness's in melee, so scenario 2 is unlikely.

Scenario 1 is a problem, but only if they're already on the stage. Meaning the ledge is open, so go for it.

Scenario 3 is when you go above the stage, and spacing dependant they'll get a weak hit (alternatively, you can aim for above the edge and watch them get up, then go back to the edge without landing to get rid of lag implications.

4 is rare, I don't think it's happened to me when I've recovered, just when I'm being aggressive w/ pkt2 (which is a bad idea)

5 is ideal.

Although, yeah, zap jump recovering is really good.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
It's not very hard to run out and hug the ledge when you see that PK Thunder come out. I'd imagine that if they just hug the ledge and then tap forward, you're screwed no matter what. Invincibility frames guarantee you won't grab the ledge and if you aimed high you're headed straight for a smash.

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
hey guys thx for the pros n cons about zap jumping but i was talking about the B-stick zap jump (not the normal zap jump) where you get pushed diagonally instead of vertically. i was wondering if its possible to do the b-stick zap jump towards the stage...

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
If they hug the edge then you will have to zap jump. If they don't then pkt2 is the best option. Usually the zap jump is only used for showing off, mind games, or just to mess with the opponent. That last one is all of the above.

You have to go back to the source when they hit you off the edge. just don't get hit (easier said than done)

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I refer you to post #5. PKT2 really only seems like a viable recovery move if you can't otherwise sweetspot with a jump or tether. I refer you to Ness' position in the tier list in Melee.

GofG

Smash Champion
RazeveX, what about those times when your opponent has the ability to eat your PKT? Or what if you want to get all of the vertical distance, but retain your control afterwards, incase they have some complicated edgeguard that requires precision to avoid? Or what if they're Marth or Ike and they can easily counter your PKT2?

Zapjumping is useful in that you retain control, and also has incredible vertical distance. Just because PKT2 will serve all of your needs does not mean that Zap Jumping is useless.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I might also point out that the advent of all characters being able to instant edgehog also makes PKT2 much less useful for recovering. They see or hear it come out, they can just run and take the edge. They see you coming towards the ledge, they can roll and you're dead. They see you aiming high, they can either just stay there and make you fall to your death if you don't make it onto to the stage or they can just stand up and grab or smash you.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I refer you to post #5. PKT2 really only seems like a viable recovery move if you can't otherwise sweetspot with a jump or tether. I refer you to Ness' position in the tier list in Melee.
I would just like to point out that Lucas's PKT2 not only launches himself a longer distance (longer than Ness or his own tether), but can't be stolen simply by jumping into it. It's a lot more viable than Ness's recovery in Melee, which hardly changed in Brawl anyway.

That's not to say Zap Jumping for recovery doesn't have its uses, namely for the reasons the last couple posters mentioned. Hell, combine it with our new PSI Magnet-flying tech and it gets even better.

Top Bottom