• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me?

mallow45

Smash Rookie
NNID
mallow45
3DS FC
0318-9181-5130
I went to my first tourney today and got 6th out of 24 entrants. As far as competitive smash 4 goes, this was my first offline experience. My timing was really off on a lot of moves, and I think too much online play with no offline practice may be the problem for that. Not trying to make excuses as to why I didn't win the whole thing, (I didn't expect to win considering it was my first tournament) but did anyone else have this problem in his/her first tourney?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I went to my first tourney today and got 6th out of 24 entrants. As far as competitive smash 4 goes, this was my first offline experience. My timing was really off on a lot of moves, and I think too much online play with no offline practice may be the problem for that. Not trying to make excuses as to why I didn't win the whole thing, (I didn't expect to win considering it was my first tournament) but did anyone else have this problem in his/her first tourney?
You should always have some offline practice before actually doing a tournament, even minimal input lag will shift your timing way too much.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Yeah definitely.

It can go both ways. Either you practice online then go offline for tourney, or Play offline then participate an Online one. There really is a noticeable difference which you should consider. Just brush up Offline every now and then.

Temkin

BUSTER
I started off with PM when I first started playing in the community. I did terrible for months. Either way should start being more active in your local scene and play more friendlies. Offline play is way better than online play.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Practicing online is a great way to gain practice for match-ups, approaching, neutral game, etc... but as others have said, you desperately need to practice offline for an offline tournament. Timing and inputs are something you can't get used to online or it will mess you up offline. Sounds like you are learning though, so good luck next tournament!

Campoq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Campoq
Probably just the nerves getting at you for your first tourney. Go to more Smash fest and have offline practice with people in your community. It has defiantly helped me out so something to consider

Top Bottom