• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me or does Fox's fair seem nerfed?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it's just not paying attention or whatever, but Fox's fair no longer seems to connect as frequently as it did. Is it just me going crazy, or did they change something about him in 1.03?

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
I've felt a few of his moves do less hit stun as well. The game barely came out why start changing balance already. It's hard to get used to characters if they are going to change them. I hope they do not constantly change things for no reason if this is the case.

RPK

Smash Lord
His fair was nerfed pretty hard but it did kinda deserve it...It did 23%, combo'd big characters, combo'd into itself up to 3 times, combo'd into kill moves, can be combo'd into from d-throw, can easily shield poke big characters, and would hit them through their shield 100% of the time even if it was full as long as it wasn't tilted correctly. And it of course can also be used to help out his recovery immensely. I do say that only 7% for fair now is pretty ****ty :/

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
His fair was nerfed pretty hard but it did kinda deserve it...It did 23%, combo'd big characters, combo'd into itself up to 3 times, combo'd into kill moves, can be combo'd into from d-throw, can easily shield poke big characters, and would hit them through their shield 100% of the time even if it was full as long as it wasn't tilted correctly. And it of course can also be used to help out his recovery immensely. I do say that only 7% for fair now is pretty ****ty :/
How is fair leading into two more fairs when fox only has two jumps lmao

Also none of those actually comboed. The shield pressure was situational.

RPK

Smash Lord
How is fair leading into two more fairs when fox only has two jumps lmao

Also none of those actually comboed. The shield pressure was situational.
Sh auto canceled Fair, land, Full jump Fair, Double jump fair. I've landed it multiple times in tournament and it gave me 0-68% combos for practically no effort...It was a great combo honestly, and like I said before, Fair to Uair was also a great combo. Also they did combo...I've had people try to airdodge out of it in brawl which was the fastest option and they havent been able to even when buffering. And if you read, the shield pressure was only in that situation which I stated so of course its situational. The characters have to be big in order for sh fair to apply pressure. For example, Ganondorf is unable to block Sh fair unless he tilts his shield up.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Lemme put it this way: EVEN WITH +400 ATTACK THE MOVE IS STILL WORSE THAN IT WAS BEFORE.

in more civil senses: They thirded the damage, took away it's ability to land easily or combo into anything, made it do weak vertical knockback with thankfully high-but-still-lowered scaling.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
You can fast fall it from SH catching an airborne enemy and if they don't tech you can up smash immediately after, go test it on a jumping cpu in training, it's not hard. At certain % you can also Utilt into the SH. Just make sure you're landing this or you're getting punishable lag. if you do this near the edge you can also semi meteor but that's a lot more situational. Transferred this info from my D3 Uair tech to fox lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EwZk3zLXkM
same idea applies.

Not the same damage, but not useless.

Last edited:

Infamous_Prime

Smash Cadet
I feel like it has more combo setup potential. Like...before since it shot you so far up, a good player could SDI down out of it. It really was best for recovery in my opinion, and sh fairing put up a good wall if your opponent approached, so retreating sh fairs were good. The damage was good, and it could kill off the top, so in most aspects it was indeed nerfed. But now that it doesnt go as high, i feel like it has more of a chance with connecting all of its hits, and then possibly string in to more combos. This is just from what I have seen from like zero and nakat though, im not actually sure, as i dont have a 3ds. So ill find out in a couple of weeks ha.

jr22

Smash Apprentice
^ This.

Fox fair kinda deserved the nerf. It did 23%, It can combo itself 3 times, a kill move, set up for a u-air kill, can help him recover, can shield poke the big characters.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
All multihit moves now carry characters to combo into the next move: in other words,
- If you are moving up while F-airing, and the first hit connects, said hit will carry the opponent up with your jump.
- Likewise, if you Fast-fall F-air and connect the first hit, said hit will carry the opponent down into the next hit (it will "spike" the opponent down with you)

If you take the second point, you can use this property in many ways: for example, you can control your movement to only have the first, second or third connect: this means your opponent will be sent down towards the stage. Your opponent can still tech when they hit the ground, but if they don't, it can be useful for setting up F-tilt locks, D-smashes or U-smashes. If they do, you can still follow their tech and punish.

The same properties apply to Dedede's Up-air (shown in the above video a couple posts before), Meta Knight's F-air, etc.
(EDIT: apparently MK's f-air doesn't do this anymore, 1.0.4 took it away. Lawl, y Samurai, y u nerf him even more?)

While it's probably not Brawl good, it's still a pretty good move.

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
And, of course, if you are just above the very edge of the stage, and they are ahead of you offstage, you can land before the fourth hit to meteor them into the bottom blast zone.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
The F-air might be nerfed, but it's still ridiculously useful. I think it was just plain overpowered before. D-throw into F-air is my usual go-to when I approach enemies, and it works almost every time if I can get the grab. Even better if you can get it twice with a second jump.

LieSander

Smash Rookie
- Likewise, if you Fast-fall F-air and connect the first hit, said hit will carry the opponent down into the next hit (it will "spike" the opponent down with you)
This alone is enough reason for me to like fair, sure it's not so godly anymore but now you can do things like up tilt > ff fair > repeat for cool looking combos (though teching will get them out of it ofc)

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
In doubles, I get my team mate to shoot me after the second hit while offstage, to ensure the spike. It doesn't always work, but when it does it's awesome.

Top Bottom