• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U is it just me or are cpu's WAY cheaper in the wii u version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's tough enough trying to beat a single level 7+ CPU in Smash 3DS. Smash Wii U simply adds insult to injury with the 8-player battles.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's tough enough trying to beat a single level 7+ CPU in Smash 3DS. Smash Wii U simply adds insult to injury with the 8-player battles.
Yeah I feel like the guy in the wombo combo video when ever there's more than 3 computer players in the match

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
Level 7s in Brawl were harder to contend with than Level 9s in this game in 1v1 matches with no items.

But you throw items into the mix and watch out, those guys make a b-line to the closest item that can be used to ruin you. Outside of the obvious Pokeballs, Smash Balls, and Assist Trophies, they make hard charges at Cuccos (the chickens), Beehives, Boss Galagas, Ore Clubs, Hammers, the POW block, the Home Run Bat, and Warp Stars.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For some reason, the computers T-bag me when I die.

Ven158

Smash Rookie
The 8 player FFAs aren't that bad since most of the CPU will try to kill each other. Team Battles on the other can be a nightmare since your teammates usually end up dying first. Leaving you to defend from 2 to 4 other CPUs.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
The 8 player FFAs aren't that bad since most of the CPU will try to kill each other. Team Battles on the other can be a nightmare since your teammates usually end up dying first. Leaving you to defend from 2 to 4 other CPUs.
Normally, they kill each other trying to get to me. 6 FFA is what gets me. Team battles aren't so bad, so long as you have a human teammate.

Last edited:

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Did you mean: Amiibo? XD

But seriously, I find the CPUs a lot harder than the 3DS version but easier than Brawl and Melee's CPUs. As for Wii U's classic mode, it is DIFFICULT. I was able to complete it on 9.0 but only with Custom Rosaluma with high defense and a healer item that healed 2% randomly when I hit something. Even with that though, it took me several tries. Its not easy at all...

Also just a piece of advice for those doing 9.0 (or any difficult above 7.5) AVOID 8 PLAYER SMASH unless forced. I always get trolled and thrown in the middle of it which ends up being a cluster***k. I try to stick to 2-3 players. Also Idk if its just me but classic mode REALLY likes Melee's Yoshi's Island. It tends to pick that even when doing 1v1s for some reason.
What is your signature from?

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
I've had no problem with 9.0 no customizations and Hard Modes on the 3DS version. Even Cruel Smash was easy this time around.

The only thing hard about the Master Forms was the tedium of having to repeat Classic if you screwed up once and not getting as much practice with them on the highest difficulty. Same with Boss Battles on Intense. Event matches are probably tricky but you can at least keep doing the important part of those immediately again if you mess up without having tons of bull**** beforehand.

All-Star and other modes in Brawl/Melee weren't that hard on the higher difficulties by virtue of the fact that you had a bunch of continues because you would have tons of coins at that point.

I've heard the AI seems to have a few more combos this time around but can anyone in the same boat as me confirm if they're actually harder? I've heard the Master Forms are faster and deal more damage.

SSJ Kirby

Smash Apprentice
You just have to play like a **** to the ai. I only have trouble in the cluster****s if it's a stage wherein I'm prone to suiciding. Y'know a really stupid stage for 8 players. As far as event matches go, I haven't had an issue. Master Fortress is a disgusting little **** though. I've gotten to it with two lives and still failed. Master Core itself ain't **** on level 9 compared to the great Dedede. Super defense Bowser is such a tank that the ai doesn't know the license plate of the hunk that smashed their brains in. Between customization and stage creation, I think it overshadows the cheap ai.

Really though. A story mode like Brawl's would had been nice. :|

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ TopSecretZone TopSecretZone : Regarding Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core, they do move faster than normal on intensity level 9.0, even in Smash 3DS. That makes it really tough to avoid their attacks without good reflexes.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Something that makes me mad in both versions is when they spam air dodge.

I mean, I'm ok with air dodging, but just the fact that a CPU has a 0.0000000001 second reaction time unlike people... Makes it unfair when you try and meteor and juggle in air.

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
@ TopSecretZone TopSecretZone : Regarding Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core, they do move faster than normal on intensity level 9.0, even in Smash 3DS. That makes it really tough to avoid their attacks without good reflexes.
Alright, cool. Thanks for letting me know. I was asking because I was wondering if this was just something people were imagining or if maybe the 3DS version was going to get a patch that upped the AI difficulty.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Alright, cool. Thanks for letting me know. I was asking because I was wondering if this was just something people were imagining or if maybe the 3DS version was going to get a patch that upped the AI difficulty.
Basically, there's a reason for why 9.0 is more brutal than 8.0, and that's partially because Master Core is faster in 9.0 than on the lower intensity levels.

Amusingly, on intensity level 0.0, Master Hand is ridiculously easy, as he's slower on that intensity level than on the standard 2.0.

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
Something that makes me mad in both versions is when they spam air dodge.

I mean, I'm ok with air dodging, but just the fact that a CPU has a 0.0000000001 second reaction time unlike people... Makes it unfair when you try and meteor and juggle in air.
This pisses me off to no end, not even the Lvl 9 super dodgers in Brawl did that.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Good AI is supposed to hide the fact that they read inputs, in the wii u version it really feels like sakurai stacked the odds against the player in solo modes, not only in classic mode will you get a team battle with AI that reads 90% of your inputs , you don't get that AI partner you get at best a level 3 srcub who gets killed 20 seconds in the match. I really don't know what's the point in the amiibo feature if I can't even use it in single player modes, god forbid I actually have my $13 help me with a game I purchased

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Guess I'm the minority here, but I've found the Wii U lvl 9s way less aggravating than the 3DS ones. Unlike the 3DS ones, they don't constantly piss me off by doing nothing other than dodging and perfect shielding. Yeah, they have ludicrous reaction time, but they still seem to leave themselves open more.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
This is particularily horrendous on the Event Matches that require you to beat 7 of the Newcomers, I can't get past Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer without losing a stock with any character, they wombo combo you somehow, Rosalina throws you into Wii Fit Trainer's vicegrip NAir all the time, it's honestly a bunch of bull****, they're ridiculously cheap, or maybe I just suck, but it's honestly very depressing when you can't get past the first two characters of a challenge that requires beating 7 of them.
Oh man, those were un-fun. I've managed every event match that allows character choice with standard ZSS, but I'm having a hard time with the very last one, "The final FINAL battle." The computers seem to react to any aerial input and will dodge when you make an input. Not before, not after.

Interestingly, my quest to do all the challenges without custom characters has lead to an interesting finding with these AI characters. They don't seem to be able to handle landing hitboxes. Like... at all. For ZSS, this means... line them up, and dair. Over and over. They just get hit!

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
The 8-player FFA's are complete bs. It's a 1v7. Everytime I'm knocked off the CPUs just clump together at the edge, not attacking each other, and wait for me to recover so they can gang bang me again.

Smashfan61

Smash Cadet
Honestly I kind of agree, but here's my thing. Smash Wii U judges the player based on their skills. In past games (especially Melee) the AI were always outwitted and predictable. No matter how bad the player the Cpus could be beaten at any level. Now in Smash 4 you're judged because of how you play the game, if you are not skilled in the slightest or not competitive then you will not beat the level 9 Cpus.
You pretty much have to fight low leveled Cpus. The thing is I know players who actually felt bad about how the game judges them like that, when in past games the Cpus "Difficulty" was set on the actual set of the Cpus. In Smash 4 its based on skill level.
I personally don't mind it since I'm training and plan on getting better anyways, but when I got the game I experienced this. I can't tell you how many times I swore at Palutena spamming for spamming her Counter, really?! She also never shuts up. I can't stand that. And don't even get me started on Rosalina. The only Cpu who can easily be beaten is Gannondorf, due to his pathetic speed. You can't practice with them. To practice you either have to fight level 5 or below Cpus (or maybe 7 a below haven't checked) Basically Training mode is the only option there.
I'm not gonna say "Oh they're overpowered" When that's the player's fault. But I agree the Cpus in this game are just plain unfair, especially every one who uses a Counter.

Last edited:

Smashfan61

Smash Cadet
The AI was weirdly designed. They show you how to fight by doing the cheap moves, and expecting to do the same. Rolling, grappling when they miss attacks, and using use neutral A moves are extremely problematic for them. Well timed shots, prediction, leading, and aerials are rarely as effective as spamming your neutral A for the CPU to roll into.

It leads to a very annoying fight where I am not free to experiment or try different moves. The level 1 CPUs get close to you then wait a moment. If you do not manage to get them out of range or anything, they will do some level 9 combos. The smash tour AI is evil because it will do annoying things like reduce your stamina health to 50hp with a item, and then clear a path so someone can chase you with a one hit KO hammer.

Though I am enjoying the evil Amiibo AI, the rival multiman smash (only fun one in my opinion), target blast, and such. Spectating people and betting money was fun (cheering against the shirtless shulks is always fun). I have yet to explore things like the screenshots, master pieces, and custom map making. Everything is pretty good, except the CPU AI. Would of preferred any other generation of AI.
Smash Wii U judges the player based on their skills. In past games (especially Melee) the AI were always outwitted and predictable. No matter how bad the player the Cpus could be beaten at any level. Now in Smash 4 you're judged because of how you play the game, if you are not skilled in the slightest or not competitive then you will not beat the level 9 Cpus.
You pretty much have to fight low leveled Cpus. The thing is I know players who actually felt bad about how the game judges them like that, when in past games the Cpus "Difficulty" was set on the actual set of the Cpus. In Smash 4 its based on skill level.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
I play against level 8 cpus regularly and it's incredibly difficult to do follow up moves because they constantly spam air dodge and counter.

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I had a hard time playing against Wii U lvl 9 CPU's. They were no problem on my 3DS, but I've played that version a lot more. I think that there isn't a big difference in them.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
The 8-player FFA's are complete bs. It's a 1v7. Everytime I'm knocked off the CPUs just clump together at the edge, not attacking each other, and wait for me to recover so they can gang bang me again.
Yeah, this is unforgivable. The forced 8 player matches in Classic mode wouldn't be so terrible if the CPU actually made a genuine attempt to fight each other and not just dance around, faux-battling until they can move to completely molest me.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
Smash Wii U judges the player based on their skills. In past games (especially Melee) the AI were always outwitted and predictable. No matter how bad the player the Cpus could be beaten at any level. Now in Smash 4 you're judged because of how you play the game, if you are not skilled in the slightest or not competitive then you will not beat the level 9 Cpus.
I am not a competitive player and I am winning fights against the level 9 CPU. I would like to see your source for this, as the same tricks always seem to work against the level 9 CPUs I fight. Also, adjusting the difficulty without making the player aware or in control is a terrible game mechanic.

Smashfan61

Smash Cadet
I am not a competitive player and I am winning fights against the level 9 CPU. I would like to see your source for this, as the same tricks always seem to work against the level 9 CPUs I fight. Also, adjusting the difficulty without making the player aware or in control is a terrible game mechanic.
I must apologize. I kind of rushed my anger there. I've been battling with Cpus for a while now. I have notice a difference between levels 8 and 9.
I will say, I do think the AI in this game is unnecessary annoying. I won't say they're difficult, they just do the most annoying things that half of the time you're lucky just to shake them off. I can handle them myself as well, and I'm not compeititive, I'm training.

I will say not all are annoying, but some pisses me off to no end. Like Sheik for example. They all seem to follow this set idea they have.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've seen how tough the 8.0 intensity was when I played it yesterday. Dark Pit flawlessly countered Rosalina's Star Bits, and I had a hard time landing even a hit on him to start out. Of course, since Dark Pit was my rival, it was to be expected that he'd be set to a very hard skill level.

Robin and Dedede were less troubling, as they didn't have any reflecting moves. Also, Gravitational Pull countered most of Dedede's Gordos.

Obviously, some CPUs are tougher than others to beat up.

Darkwing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-1864-0196
I only ever really have a problem with Lvl 9 Marth and Lucina. They just love to spam counters. I hate it.

chib-SAMUS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spamus
I still can't beat 9.0. the AI on it is too cheap. also i noticed that when you 1 v 1 an AI in classic, their models start to flicker back and forth , like they're gliching out or something.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
This is the first smash game that has had a challenging single player mode.

I love and hate it

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Personally, I think some of the Amiibo AI code is used in the Wii U version for the CPUs during the higher level attempts through Classic. The AI is supposed to ramp up as you continue to play, much like a traditional challenge tower from older fighting games and the only way to make a lvl 9 smarter is to us code that is above a lvl 9. I don't see the CPUs as being cheap as much as being really good at advanced techs. As others have mentioned, I've seen perfect pivots and jab-cancels out of CPUs as well as some great plays that almost feel like I'm fighting a human.

I also noticed that since the patch that activated Amiibos on the 3DS, that the AI on the 3DS has gotten smarter as well. Not as smart as the Wii U version, but enough where I can train at work on my lunch break and actually have to try to read the patterns they are using (Yeah, they now have patterns!) to punish reads.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
As somewhat speculated by a fellow contributor at SmashWiki, it should be quite clear that here's one thing to take note of:

Lv. 9 CPU's themselves aren't a pure-impossible pain to deal with; it's due to the Classic Mode setting that makes it a complete ***** due to their attacks having increased knockback scaling/growth; just a bit of damage around 50-to-70% is enough to have their knockback scale on you quite a bit so they can insta-kill you in anyway possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom