• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it healthy to claw the controller part of the time?

Token

Smash Rookie
So, personally i hold the controller the standard way, unless i do anything with Jump canceling. Whether it’s jc grab or jc upsmash or whatever, i claw the controller. I can easily switch from standard to clawing very quickly, but a good friend of mine said that possibley could make me just a hair too slow if it comes down to the wire. Should I continue to play a hybrid of standard and claw? Or should i stick to one technique and learn to play fully with that?

Aprox

Smash Rookie
I can easily switch from standard to clawing very quickly, but a good friend of mine said that possibly could make me just a hair too slow if it comes down to the wire.
I think you should play with what feels best for you until you know for 100% certain that you can't possibly hit a jc grab or any jc maneuver with perfect timing. With enough practice you might be able to reach a speed that works just fine and allows you to get the advantage in tight situations. If you find that you are consistently missing jc moves or not doing them as fast as YOU want to do them, switch it up and see what happens. I personally move my thumb to the x button for jc grab alone and you can crouch out of a dash into any smash move so I usually use that instead of jc up-smash.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure M2K does this, if it's viability you're worried about, but I think for him he does it when he's on the ledge. I definitely feel like it could be a bit slow for JC grab/ upsmash. As for for hand health, I used claw "full-time" for a while but I now use a standard grip. I think that claw can be good because it makes a lot of things easier, which can make you less tense, but I think a standard grip is better as long as you practice to be comfortable enough you hold your controller softly.

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
This is honestly how I play. I call it off-claw. Clawing the entire time is probably the most "optimal" way to play. But it is also the least comfortable way to play. Even if you don't have hand pains or issues it can still be a comfort thing. For me in smash it's often character dependent. Like I won't claw at all when I play Marth, I still use my thumb for the Y button on JC grabs. But when I play Peach I'm clawing the entire time to get her instant floats. Not super relevant but in sm4sh with kirby and dedede I'll switch to claw when charging their hammer that way I can still charge the hammer and jump around.
This for me goes beyond smash. I forced myself to learn to play claw for Halo but I found it uncomfortable for long periods of time. So in most FPS games now even though I'm not clawing most of the time I'll still typically claw to hit reload BC it's an infrequent action. I don't know how much this helps you but you aren't the only one that claws part of the time. I've personally found that partial clawing is beneficial for myself, as like you mentioned I too can go from clawing to not clawing instantly to a point where certain times I'm just doing it subconsciously.
I think for me it's very similar to tap jump. I almost always use Y to jump. But sometimes I use tap jump, often with up airs as the flow from being grounded to going for a full hop up air is easy to do with tap jump. I believe it's one of those things like how do you jump? X, Y, Tap? Where it honestly doesn't matter the answer its all preference like vibration on/off. While clawing can save you a frame here or there I think comfort is more important both short term and especially long term. My advice just do what feels natural. You can practice things to make them feel more natural but I wouldn't stress too much about it either way. =)

Guidodinho

Smash Rookie
Personally for jump cancelling into an upshmash i'd reccomend using the tapjump. Not only for comfort 'n all that jazz, but for me, it feels supprisingly sattisfying to just slam those two sticks forward in a one-two-punch movement. Quickly jabbing the cotrollstick with the thumb, for that lil jumpsquat and just ramming that c-stick forward with the palm of your right hand.

Not exactly 'optimal' perhaps. But for me it feels just right ya know.
Try it out if ya think it can work for ya.

WilE04

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GOON#808
Oh that’s cool! I’ve never thought about that! I strongly dislike tap jump but that’s nice!:dkmelee:

Top Bottom