• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it even possible to seriously main with Bowser?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe it's just me but I find it impossible to adapt to Bowser's fighting style. His attacks and movements are way too slow and he's a perfect punching bag since pretty much every other character is faster.

What do you guys think?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NaIYFnVgY

You can get quite good with Bowser, it's just ridiculously, ridiculously hard and chances are you will not see much improvement in results after a certain time because he's just that limited.
Yeah, there's something about DJN's Bowser that makes him almost A-S tier. Props to that guy. He made a seemingly crappy character to a god tier character.

In general though, your not going to find a lot of Bowser main's due to him being hard to play as well as being slow.

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
You certainly can main Bowser, but only use him on occasion. His speed is a real issue when fighting characters like Fox or Sheik. I have seen great Bowser-users but it's not something I recommend, just because he's so dang slow.

Uncivilized Elk

Smash Rookie
How a player plays a character should not alter that character's tier position... he is still in the bottom tier, no matter who is playing him.

Is it possible to main him seriously? Of course. Is it possible to win EVO or APEX or national whatevs? Nah.

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
Seriously boozer cute maybe.

But no.

Gimpy had a great post as to why he played bowser/low tiers that pretty much summed it up.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I main bowser and i get by pretty well. I don't see the big deal.
It's just the fact that he's one of the hardest characters to main and that he's not ideal for tournament play unless you really mastered his moveset.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
the challenge is the enjoyable part for me. if he was easy to play, i wouldn't be playing him.
Same here.

I don't like it when people only use S and A tier characters when playing competitively. That's why I mained with Young Link and I use Roy and Ganondorf as my secondaries just to spite the pro-tier people.

Star Child

Smash Rookie
I feel like Bowser hasn't been fully explored yet as a character ( as with most of the cast). For as long as the game has been out, it's still evolving and the 'lower tier' characters are starting to be developed a little more than they used to be. He is very difficult to play (but so much goddamn fun) yet I feel that there is more that can be done with him to see tournament improvement

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
Hey I see you guys live in Ontario. You should come to the tournament in Montreal March 1st. I'd love to play some low tiers.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I feel like Bowser hasn't been fully explored yet as a character ( as with most of the cast). For as long as the game has been out, it's still evolving and the 'lower tier' characters are starting to be developed a little more than they used to be. He is very difficult to play (but so much goddamn fun) yet I feel that there is more that can be done with him to see tournament improvement
He defiantly has potential for sure. Just look at Yoshi. Many considered him to be low tier but then aMSa bursted on to the scene and proved everyone wrong.

@ Cheebs Cheebs

I really wish I could travel that far lol.

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
It's not that far, I know some friends and smashers that are coming down from Ontario for the tourny. And also, Vman was going to work with Yoshi before aMSa

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's not that far, I know some friends and smashers that are coming down from Ontario for the tourny. And also, Vman was going to work with Yoshi before aMSa
It's like a 5-6 hour drive from where I am but I don't think my dad would let me travel that for a tournament unfortunately.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think any of the bottom tiers are beyond horrible. They just have holes that make them horrifically exploited by certain base strategies like chain grabs, dash dance games, broken grabs, lasers, shielding, or other nonsense.

For Bowser he's mostly just shut down by Sheik's CGs, ICs's grabs, Falcon combos, and competent ground games that convert to juggling. But against lower range characters who can fall into his counterattack games or be outprioritized by his large pokes... well, he's not playing solitaire. He's got some real stuff there.

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Great responses, David. It's nice to see non-Bowser players saying something other than "Bowser sucks" like some zombie. I agree entirely with what you've said. Koopa Klaw is pretty devastating when used effectively, and I feel like it hasn't been just yet.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Same here.

I don't like it when people only use S and A tier characters when playing competitively. That's why I mained with Young Link and I use Roy and Ganondorf as my secondaries just to spite the pro-tier people.
If you mean by your friends you casually play with then yeah. You're not spiting any pro's if you're not placing high in tourney, lol.

Shök

Smash Champion
a great man once said "don't lose at the character selection screen"
Good quote.

I think it's possible to main a low tier (since I main Bowser myself), but there are times where you can be limited in ways, like some people already mentioned.

I also love playing Bowser because he's my favorite character of all time, so that drives me to do better with him as a character. Ha ha.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Good quote.

I think it's possible to main a low tier (since I main Bowser myself), but there are times where you can be limited in ways, like some people already mentioned.

I also love playing Bowser because he's my favorite character of all time, so that drives me to do better with him as a character. Ha ha.
whoa, you've been around since 07 and you main bowser?! do you have facebook? where are you from? you should come to EVO!

Shök

Smash Champion
whoa, you've been around since 07 and you main bowser?! do you have facebook? where are you from? you should come to EVO!
Located in Houston, Texas. Ha ha. I don't have a FB, but I have Twitter. I was thinking of going to MLG and EVO, but I don't have enough funds at the moment. X)

Top Bottom