• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it better to practice in For Glory or against level 9 bots?

Is it better to practice in For Glory or against Level 9 bots?

• Total voters

Jabawalkie

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering! I like level 9 bots for the lag-less environment and plenty of stages, but should I be practicing against people?

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Level Nines are way too unrealistic to train against you'd be better off training against level eights or sevens. But In my opinion, For Glory is a better place to train.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Lvl 9s are too perfect. Playing FG is better since it opens your mind to situations that will occur in a match.
For training with your main character, lvl 3s work best since they act like a dummy for practice.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I would say neither. I would recommend just practicsing combos and small tricks in training mode and then test them out against your friends or in tournements.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I would say neither. I would recommend just practicsing combos and small tricks in training mode and then test them out against your friends or in tournements.
Combos and tricks won't make him better consisently. Fundamentals is best and you'll learn that by playing people more, which means online play or offline tournaments.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
Combos and tricks won't make him better consisently. Fundamentals is best and you'll learn that by playing people more, which means online play or offline tournaments.
Online is not good for practice since you cant play your 100% Since there is always little lag. And I said tournements aswell...

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Online is not good for practice since you cant play your 100% Since there is always little lag. And I said tournements aswell...
Minimal amounts of lag isn't going to invalidate all the situations you'll encounter. Sure, there are some bad experiences on online, but there are some very good experiences to show you what will happen of you play smart or dumb.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
For Glory, or just being able to face other people in general (such as friends, local tournaments, etc) will help more than CPU's.

CPU's can be good if you're just starting out because they can help you get the fundamentals down, plus you can always control their difficulty to your liking which will allow you to practice specific things. Whether if you're trying out certain combos you've read up on/seen via videos, or perhaps you're trying to focus on preforming tilts and short hops CPU's can always be your guinea pigs.

However; CPU's are vastly different from actual players...

What may work on a CPU may not work against an actual player, so playing against a real person will further improve your skill. For instance, you got the combo down that you've been working on against a CPU but now you're against a real person who may know the exact combo and has developed ways to avoid it. You now have to adapt more and focus on perfecting it even further. In the end they both can be good for you depending on what you're doing, but a real player is where you'll gain the most experience.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Training against level 9 computers will make you play worse - playing solidly will get you wrecked, while playing stupidly will grant you an easy win. Low level computers are at least useful for learning the ranges on your attacks and the extent of your mobility.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
You won't learn anything from either. Bots aren't humans, and FG is only FD and has lag meaning that you will just get frustrated before you learn something if anything.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Bots are nothing like humans. You won't learn much from cpus perfect sheilding and air dodging too much.

FG isn't all that that either, while it may be better than level 9 cpu, I haven't bumped into many skilled players at all. I mostly bump into spammers and people who pretty much knows the basic at least, not many people who will bring lots of mind games and combos into the table. Also the lag is another downside. It may not be horrible for most matches, but the lag is there and you will not preform at your best.

Either have a friend that knows what to do, or if you don't have any smasher friends then I guess amiibo would he your best bet. They at least can play differently from lv9 cpus except perfect sheilding and they can punish your predictable moves, meaning you got to come up with different ways to attack and even punish the amiibo which is something a lv9 cpu doesn't do.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
You won't learn anything from either. Bots aren't humans, and FG is only FD and has lag meaning that you will just get frustrated before you learn something if anything.
low level CPUs are good for practicing execution and fluidity with your character not to mention a good warm-up.
IF FG is just filled to the brim with lag and unplayable(it won't be all the time consistently), just buy an amiibo and don't give it equipment. Not the best practice, but it's better than nothing.
EDIT:this sounds like I'm trying to give you advice >__> sorry man, I'm trying to give a counter argument.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Quite honestly, neither. For Glory has lag, and level 9s have other issues.

If you don't have access to human players, your best bet is probably actually an Amiibo. The gradual AI adjustments make it a bit unique compared to a level 9, and the stat gains can help make up for the fact that it's just a predictable AI.

Of course, those cost money and aren't full-roster available yet. But if you've got some money and a particular character you want to practice against, probably a decent pick.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Smashladder.com, a lot of good smashers are on there and it's like tournament play. You could also play for glory(reminder that 50% of the players are pretty bad). Amiibo is also an option like Raijinken said but I don't do that personally but it can reveal your flaws or you can exchange friend codes. So, if you get anything from me, just remember to fight a verity of players in skill and discover their flaws.

Ruff

Smash Rookie
If you haven't met someone to pratice with offline, then for glory is good. I just can't handle their rolls. Is like a bakery out there.

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
Honestly I hate For Glory and CPUs. I've got a few friends that I play with, but I don't feel like I'm getting much better fighting the same people over and over.
I hear that things like Smash Ladder are good for practice so I might try that.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Both CPUs and For Glory are annoying to me. Training offline is the preferred method I use, but practicing combos in training mode has helped me a little bit, too (though it's not as beneficial as playing with an opponent). Smash Ladder is good, too.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
For Glory definitely. Mainly because CPUs don't adapt.

It's much better to practice against other players in person but FG is also fine. People often exaggerate the effects lag has on the great learning experiences you can get on FG.

Personally I got SOOO much better playing FG. I trained pretty much strictly for glory since the game came out, having never played a smash game before and I've gotten way better than I was. I've placed pretty well in both local tourneys I've played in so far.

Also on FG, if you run into someone that is way below your skill level drop after the match after it becomes apparent and switch to someone else. Playing against players much worse than you is satisfying to your ego but doesn't make you better and often makes you worse because you can get away with stuff you wouldn't with good players and can create bad habits.

The way you really get better is by getting wrecked by better players repeatedly and learning from it. If you run into someone that's wrecking you, play them as long as possible. Save the replays, figure out what you are doing wrong. Post replays on the forums here and get other opinions.

And send better players who aren't on a laggy connection that you meet on FG a friend request and a message so you can ask them to meet up online sometime for some more matches. Don't worry about your FG winrate, which will plummet if you drop against bad players and play good players repeatedly. The sooner you stop caring about it the better. I cared about it at one point and found myself playing bad players all the time just to improve it...which didn't help me get better at all.

Last edited:

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I found that amiibos are Pretty adaptative. I find fighthing a lvl 50 amiiboto be a rather stressful event because even if they are cpu, they will be unpredictable and can pull off Pretty amazing strings of attack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom