• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it actually possible?

Suudsu

Smash Rookie
I love Marth and I love doing double fairs, but I've just about given up on doing them to the right with the c-stick. When you short hop facing left, your thumb can sort of naturally knock into the c-stick to get the timing for the double fair, but to the right it seems down right impossible.

I'm an uncompromising type and I hate to think that I'd have to give up some mobility by using the A-button, but I've practiced and practiced and can't ever seem to get a good, clean second fair that reaches all the way out in front of me before ground-cancelling.

So, I'm here to ask if is anyone is able to do it this way? Or should I really just face the music and use the A-button? The asymmetry will bother me to no end, but if I have to use the A-button I will.

Last edited:

djmath

Smash Apprentice
you can use tap to jump with the analog stick and then SHDF to the right with the c stick if you don't want to ever press A. I actually prefer it

Kadano

Magical Express
So, I'm here to ask if is anyone is able to do it this way? Or should I really just face the music and use the A-button? The asymmetry will bother me to no end, but if I have to use the A-button I will.
Yes, I am. I had the same thoughts as you and decided to go for a control stick knob on my C-stickbox and to use thenar grip.

If you are interested in how exactly I do it, just tell me. I can do a stream session where I show it with a 60 fps camera and all. I’d just have to write down notes because I’d obviously want to talk about a lot more interesting, weird, complicated and useful stuff at once.

townes

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to rub salt in the wound here, but that's easy for me. I use Cstick for all SHDF movements and I can do them right or left facing in place, advancing retreating, or slight variations. If you use A, you will sacrifice the ability to do certain movements with SHDF, most notably a true all the way retreating SHDF. I would not recommend using tap jump for this. Fox's trying to SHDL would laugh at our plight. I have two suggestions. 1. Realize that when you hit someone or their shield, the timing is different, so I would try doing it on cpu bowser or 20XX infinite shield and seeing if that helps. 2. Once your finger is on the c-stick, you definitely have time to just wait and press it one more time, so your problem is more than likely being able to get down to the c stick in time for the first fair. SO, I recommend practicing doing a SH rising fair (the first part of the SHDF) facing to the right with the c stick as fast as you can. Don't get all butthurt and start spamming it in place, honestly try to get it as fast as you can. If it's not working move around a little and try again. This isn't an easy marth tec, but I would be SHOCKED if you weren't better at it after 60 minutes of concentrated practice or proficient at it after 10 hours of practice. For what you were saying about giving up and not being satisfied using A, I don't see why hardcore practice would bother you. Just go practice it all lot dude. Day by day, you'll get better at it. SHDF to the right is hard. If all else fails, you can't practice meaningfully, and you still want to SHDF, just run past the opponent to the right side of the stage so you face left. Problem solved

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
something I never see anyone do is a Fair, and then a Bair, Nair, or Uair. probably because Fair is the safest option and you get the most out of it.

Shredagaze

Smash Rookie
For me it depends what i'm going for. if i'm doing it in a combo i use "y" and quickly slide down to "a". For stationary though i usually use tap jump then right on the C-stick. This takes a little more time getting used to (for me anyway) but, it's just as effective.

Top Bottom