• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Isai really screwed at G3?

Is Isai screwed at G3 or not? What do you think?

• Isai will win G3

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Isai will not win.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Cool dude.
Each smash game is played with analyzing your player and finding their habits rather than actually learning tech and getting good with a character. You can know the basics of a character and still be extremely good cause you are able to find your opponents flaws and mistakes, habits things they continue to do that you can counter in a smash match.
That's a given, real smash is when you understand all of this already and have played with every character so you know what to your knowledge and others you've seen that you can do in whatever situation. Smash64 isn't as simple as melee or any other smash game because it's much more fundamental, much more spacing and connecting combos, it's the core of what smash bro games competitively are suppose to be.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I can name at least two (2) people who can beat isai as he is right now.
MATTS! and Smasherx74 already beat him a few weeks or months ago. But I'd like to hear who you think can beat him as he is now? Because he was pretty good last time I seen him, still better than 99% of the community that is.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
That's a given, real smash is when you understand all of this already and have played with every character so you know what to your knowledge and others you've seen that you can do in whatever situation. Smash64 isn't as simple as melee or any other smash game because it's much more fundamental, much more spacing and connecting combos, it's the core of what smash bro games competitively are suppose to be.
Its honestly an opinion. Smash64 is just being recognized for the fact that it is either more or just as deep as melee. 64, just like melee, is just now being deconstructed by player and they are realizing how deep the game actually is. That is the only thing I can see eye to eye on with you, is the fact that 64 is much deeper than the party game it is thought to be.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Gav and the one Mexican dude, SeñiorHeñior, come to mind.
LOL ty I agree gav top 10 apex gav could easily beat isai considering how bad he is (which is a reflection of the community).

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Its honestly an opinion. Smash64 is just being recognized for the fact that it is either more or just as deep as melee. 64, just like melee, is just now being deconstructed by player and they are realizing how deep the game actually is. That is the only thing I can see eye to eye on with you, is the fact that 64 is much deeper than the party game it is thought to be.
Smash64 is about technique and combos, it's as simple as that it doesn't even matter if you win or lose as long as you can execute attacks on time and do things people don't know how to do or haven't seen before. Most people never learn anything you can play them all day long and let them try to figure things out but they never will. These type of people will never be good or will have to forcefully try hard to be good like LD. They will always be far lesser than the generally better players like Isai even if they have a counterpick matchup like Falcon on Link on Dreamland. Just like speedrunning techniques there is a lot of in game on the spot frame perfect things you have to do in order to play the game right. Just going for the same gimps or approaching the same way even when it doesn't work anymore so you just essentially camp is proof of how bad players are, even ones who can preform everything perfectly and know how to defend and approach everything even somewhat perfectly are bad when they get caught up in trying to win this way. It's far too obvious how and why boomfan loses the way he does, just like it's obvious why the smash64 community is so bad.

Seeing melee stuff on this site and how the IRC players played it's more than obvious smash64 community despite how much seemingly easier the game is, are much less good at being able to competitively play the game based on it's mechanics rather than mindlessly becoming frame perfect with imperfect play. I suppose you could compare it to playing a shooter and always camping your spawn instead of going out and learning the map and where people go, where they will hide, etc.. This is due to the lack of players who are genuinely good at the game in all aspects and with all characters. This is why I regard this smash64 as trash,

smashfool

Smash Rookie
Warning Received!
LOL ty I agree gav top 10 apex gav could easily beat isai considering how bad he is (which is a reflection of the community).
smasher, you arent good at this game and never were. as a matter of fact you dont even play smash anymore because of how bad you are. u just sit on the server all day waiting for certain people to log on so you can attempt to troll them, sad life kid

Last edited:

LimeSoda

Smash Cadet
Dreamland is the only tournament legal stage in the US.
I think you got this after, but he was claiming that Isai's loss at Apex 2013 "doesn't count" because he refused to counterpick Kikoushi (ironically he CP's Moyashi to win the following year, but whatever).

This is the most untrue thing I've ever read. 64 is bigger now than it ever was before. Genesis 3 (this weekend) is the biggest 64 tournament ever. There are more 64 tournaments now and more active players than there ever was before. 64 is growing and its growing fast.
Very true. It's a misconception I often point out when people say "64's dying", etc. I think your article was very helpful in providing content for the community. Yeah, Isai plays for fun, but it's still not a bad thing to speculate how he'll do--people are interested in predictions in all competitive competitions.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
I think you got this after, but he was claiming that Isai's loss at Apex 2013 "doesn't count" because he refused to counterpick Kikoushi (ironically he CP's Moyashi to win the following year, but whatever).

Very true. It's a misconception I often point out when people say "64's dying", etc. I think your article was very helpful in providing content for the community. Yeah, Isai plays for fun, but it's still not a bad thing to speculate how he'll do--people are interested in predictions in all competitive competitions.
I was saying Isai is at a disadvantage cause he has an honor system. I wasn't saying it didn't count.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I was saying Isai is at a disadvantage cause he has an honor system. I wasn't saying it didn't count.
Lol what honor system? How good people think he is or how good he really is? IT doesn't matter how rusty you are at a game you understand how to play, you get that feel of the game back very quickly and the rest of things come easy as you play more. Not sure how far you intend to take these misconceptions of isai.

Last edited:

LimeSoda

Smash Cadet
Lol what honor system? How good people think he is or how good he really is? IT doesn't matter how rusty you are at a game you understand how to play, you get that feel of the game back very quickly and the rest of things come easy as you play more. Not sure how far you intend to take these misconceptions of isai.
Did you even read? The honor system in 2013 where he did not counterpick the Japanese. He most definitely was at a disadvantage as a result. It doesn't invalidate his loss IMO cause that was on him, however.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Did you even read? The honor system in 2013 where he did not counterpick the Japanese. He most definitely was at a disadvantage as a result. It doesn't invalidate his loss IMO cause that was on him, however.
It doesn't matter who he picks, even if he loses he's still 100x better and it's obvious so I don't see the point in bringing up who or how he lost or won, all that matters is he can do more than anyone else and is the funnest smash64 player to play in the world.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
smasher ain't wrong tbh
Only really good players from NA is isai and boom. Everyone else still makes mistakes, whether technical or mental. Mariguas might be the closest we have to actually playing at their level but that's only really with Pikachu. NA 64 scene for the most part sucks.

Kyler

Smash Cadet
I'm just going off of what I've been told, if any person has been in "retirement" from a game for so long, and then thinks they can come back and just win the biggest event then I'm inclined to say they will have a rude awakening come showtime. I can really only hope that I'm wrong, and I hope to see an amazing display from the person that's called 64's best. I never got to play 64 competitively, and all the names are unfamiliar to me. I'm hoping for nothing less than a show I won't forget this entire weekend.

doesnt isai just play for fun though and doesnt really expect to win? i think its more of his fans that claim hes still the best and can come back at any moment and beat anybody, prob a lot of pressure on him tbh but i dont think hes ever said anything before a tournament saying that hes going to win (correct me if im wrong)

Uair

Banned via Warnings
doesnt isai just play for fun though and doesnt really expect to win? i think its more of his fans that claim hes still the best and can come back at any moment and beat anybody, prob a lot of pressure on him tbh but i dont think hes ever said anything before a tournament saying that hes going to win (correct me if im wrong)
This isn't melee, there isn't really any pressure for him to feel. Isai can win if he tried like everyone else is trying to win. He does play for fun and that's why he's so good while everyone else playing to win is so bad. I'm glad you're able to realize that.

Nick Mang

Smash Rookie
This isn't melee, there isn't really any pressure for him to feel. Isai can win if he tried like everyone else is trying to win. He does play for fun and that's why he's so good while everyone else playing to win is so bad. I'm glad you're able to realize that.
Lol who got 4th?????

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Super Smash Bros. 64 — Results

1. G3|Wario (Pikachu)
2. SuperBoomFan (Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Kirby)
3. Wangera (Jigglypuff)
4. Isai (Fox, Mario, Pikachu)
5. Koroshiyo|KeroKeroppi (Pikachu, Captain Falcon)
5. LAS|Mariguas (Pikachu, Captain Falcon)
7. COG|Wizzrobe (Yoshi)
7. Tacos (Yoshi, Captain Falcon)

9. TR3G|LD (Fox)
9. SF|Dext3r (Pikachu)
9. Koroshiyo|Stranded (Yoshi)
9. SSBM-T|TR3G The Z (Pikachu)
13. GVS|Fireblaster (Yoshi)
13. DASH|Banze (Pikachu)
13. LAS|HeroPie (Pikachu)
13. GODS|Revan (Kirby)

source

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't know. I'd hope he enjoys it as much as what I'd seen this weekend. He seemed to be really happy with either outcome of all his matches.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't know. I'd hope he enjoys it as much as what I'd seen this weekend. He seemed to be really happy with either outcome of all his matches.
it is over already. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Yeah it is. And I've never seen someone actually seem to be relatively happy no matter the outcome of a game all the way up until they lost in a big top 8. It's really something.
it's hard to tell what they feel on the inside though. could be the exact opposite.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
it's hard to tell what they feel on the inside though. could be the exact opposite.
Completely true. But, either way, a display he should be none the less proud of in my honest opinion. Top 8 at Genesis, wow man. I struggle to stay in top 8 at locals if I ever get there x)

D

Deleted member

Completely true. But, either way, a display he should be none the less proud of in my honest opinion. Top 8 at Genesis, wow man. I struggle to stay in top 8 at locals if I ever get there x)
Lucky you have locals by you. :c

Top Bottom