• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Isai really screwed at G3?

Is Isai screwed at G3 or not? What do you think?

• Isai will win G3

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Isai will not win.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
I slightly agreed with the home page's article on Isai. It had it's convincing points such as him playing DK, a low tier character as Isai has only won one tourney using a low tier character, jigglypuff but even then Jiggpuff is placed higher on the tier list than DK. Isai also has new opponents who can't and will not stand by for his friendly and honorable play style. Isai has also lost his greenhouse combo now with Hyrule Castle being banned.

(Greenhouse Combo)​
Isai has been in retirement for quite some time as well and the lack of play against professionals will get to him at the tourney. I have feeling Isai will lose but we don't not know yet and I don't want to lose hope in the Smash64 God, Isai.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going off of what I've been told, if any person has been in "retirement" from a game for so long, and then thinks they can come back and just win the biggest event then I'm inclined to say they will have a rude awakening come showtime. I can really only hope that I'm wrong, and I hope to see an amazing display from the person that's called 64's best. I never got to play 64 competitively, and all the names are unfamiliar to me. I'm hoping for nothing less than a show I won't forget this entire weekend.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
I'm just going off of what I've been told, if any person has been in "retirement" from a game for so long, and then thinks they can come back and just win the biggest event then I'm inclined to say they will have a rude awakening come showtime. I can really only hope that I'm wrong, and I hope to see an amazing display from the person that's called 64's best. I never got to play 64 competitively, and all the names are unfamiliar to me. I'm hoping for nothing less than a show I won't forget this entire weekend.
Considering the players now Isai may not be considered the 64 God anymore. Superboomfan and wizzrobe are pretty good and meet Isai's level of play now.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Considering the players now Isai may not be considered the 64 God anymore. Superboomfan and wizzrobe are pretty good and meet Isai's level of play now.
Exactly. I'm just hoping for the fans that he pulls something amazing out here. I am honestly very unfamiliar with 64 as a competitive entity. apparently DK is garbage. but isai, apparently, is good enough for that to not matter? Im just going wait and watch.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
Exactly. I'm just hoping for the fans that he pulls something amazing out here. I am honestly very unfamiliar with 64 as a competitive entity. apparently DK is garbage. but isai, apparently, is good enough for that to not matter? Im just going wait and watch.
He might be playing Mario now, which is a B tier character, and not to mention he has placed second at APEX 2013 with Mario before.

Compatible

Smash Cadet
Debating whether a player who has continuously said he plays for his enjoyment of the game is going to win, is simply silly. Whoever wrote those articles needs to find better things to be doing...

Good luck, safe travels to those attending, and have fun.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
Debating whether a player who has continuously said he plays for his enjoyment of the game is going to win, is simply silly. Whoever wrote those articles needs to find better things to be doing...

Good luck, safe travels to those attending, and have fun.
That was actually one of the points, point "7: Isai's Honor And Playing For Fun". This point referred to the match against Kikoushi where he refused to go to any other stage than dreamland cause dreamland is the only legal stage in Japan. He didn't want Kikoushi to feel as if he was at a disadvantage, this cause Isai to place second next to Kikoushi at Apex 2013.

Last edited:

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
Given the smash 64 meta, I'd say there's no reason to write Isai off just because he's using a low tier character. All he needs to do is get a combo going, as I'm sure everyone here is all too familiar with.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
Given the smash 64 meta, I'd say there's no reason to write Isai off just because he's using a low tier character. All he needs to do is get a combo going, as I'm sure everyone here is all too familiar with.
But what about low tier characters failing him before?

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
We all make mistakes.
Honestly though him losing with Mario against Kikoushi isn't the fact he played mario, I believe its his honor system and not wanting to leave dreamland cause its the only tournament legal stage in Japan. So mark that "low tier" failure off the list.

Shears

Smash Master
Honestly though him losing with Mario against Kikoushi isn't the fact he played mario, I believe its his honor system and not wanting to leave dreamland cause its the only tournament legal stage in Japan. So mark that "low tier" failure off the list.
Dreamland is the only tournament legal stage in the US.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
Dreamland is the only tournament legal stage in the US.
With the counter-picks of peach's castle and congo jungle plus rules state "Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it."

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
No, Dreamland is the only tournament legal stage in the US.

See SSC, ODS, Hitstun 3, Genesis 3, White Rose, SFS, Xanadu.
I'm talking about Apex 2013, my friend. Apex 2013 is when Isai and Kikoushi have a match against each other.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
Yes, but now its Dreamland only in the US so its another reason why expectations for Isai might be lower. He couldn't counter pick even if he wanted to.
But technically that is good, if you are rooting for Isai, because he doesn't have to worry about his honor system of counter-picking.

Shears

Smash Master
That doesn't really matter. Counterpicks>Stress from thinking about counterpicks. Isai will do fine, most of the article and discussion is to generate views and raise awareness of the community, its rulesets, and its players. I actually wrote almost the entire miom article, its not that isai is expected to lose its more about heres why 64 isn't isai only and things you may not know about it.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
That doesn't really matter. Counterpicks>Stress from thinking about counterpicks. Isai will do fine, most of the article and discussion is to generate views and raise awareness of the community, its rulesets, and its players. I actually wrote almost the entire miom article, its not that isai is expected to lose its more about heres why 64 isn't isai only and things you may not know about it.
Honestly, I can understand the "raising awareness" that is what this thread is to me. I am mostly talented in smash64 and knowledge of smash64 so I enjoy starting threads here when I can even if it is some rehashed crap. I like Isai and I enjoy talking about him cause he is an interesting player to me. Smash64 is seemingly dying, not as fast as PM though, and I want to enjoy it while I can.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I can't believe this thread is real. OP you may be mostly talented in smash64 but that doesn't mean you have broad spectrum on how Smash64 works. I just skimmed over your thread but if you think anyone is a threat to isai despite any character he uses or how rusty he is then you obviously don't know about smash64 as much as you think you do.

When you get to a certain level of awareness and understanding of the game, it doesn't really matter how long you haven't played or what character you use or what matchup you're in. Smash64 isn't melee, brawl, or new kid ****, It's a fundamental N64 game that relies heavily on players ability to literally do things rather than how hard someone can try to win. Even in hard counter picks like Luigi on jiggly isai will still win versus anyone in the community. He's literally better than everyone's best gameplay, he's played for over a decade and has done just about every possible thing in smash64 from every pixel of the screen.

The smash64 community is TERRIBLE, top 10 apex, top 3 apex, "top players" around the world, nobody not a single person, is as good as isai is with all characters with any character. That's a fact that has not changed, the guy has simply put too much work into this game for anyone to actually be better overall. Maybe in 20 years from now if smash64 is still a thing and cuddlytoys played every single day maybe he could be. But that probably wont happen. Nobody is going to be as good as isai, at most the few players who can tryhard like boomfan can beat him a few times but they aren't going to ever win a 12 character battle or a battle royal. It's simply not plausible. If you actually think or believe anything relating to the community being relatively good in comparison to isai then you're just delusional and have a lot to learn about smash64 if you want to get good.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
I can't believe this thread is real. OP you may be mostly talented in smash64 but that doesn't mean you have broad spectrum on how Smash64 works. I just skimmed over your thread but if you think anyone is a threat to isai despite any character he uses or how rusty he is then you obviously don't know about smash64 as much as you think you do.

When you get to a certain level of awareness and understanding of the game, it doesn't really matter how long you haven't played or what character you use or what matchup you're in. Smash64 isn't melee, brawl, or new kid ****, It's a fundamental N64 game that relies heavily on players ability to literally do things rather than how hard someone can try to win. Even in hard counter picks like Luigi on jiggly isai will still win versus anyone in the community. He's literally better than everyone's best gameplay, he's played for over a decade and has done just about every possible thing in smash64 from every pixel of the screen.

The smash64 community is TERRIBLE, top 10 apex, top 3 apex, "top players" around the world, nobody not a single person, is as good as isai is with all characters with any character. That's a fact that has not changed, the guy has simply put too much work into this game for anyone to actually be better overall. Maybe in 20 years from now if smash64 is still a thing and cuddlytoys played every single day maybe he could be. But that probably wont happen. Nobody is going to be as good as isai, at most the few players who can tryhard like boomfan can beat him a few times but they aren't going to ever win a 12 character battle or a battle royal. It's simply not plausible. If you actually think or believe anything relating to the community being relatively good in comparison to isai then you're just delusional and have a lot to learn about smash64 if you want to get good.
I'm glad you have this opinion on smash64 and Isai but this thread was simply a rehash of the following article, http://smashboards.com/threads/17-reasons-isai-may-not-win-genesis-3.428334/, to discuss what they think of the article. If you really want to yell at someone with negative comments then please do it to the author of the article we are simply discussing.

Shears

Smash Master
Smash64 is seemingly dying, not as fast as PM though, and I want to enjoy it while I can.
This is the most untrue thing I've ever read. 64 is bigger now than it ever was before. Genesis 3 (this weekend) is the biggest 64 tournament ever. There are more 64 tournaments now and more active players than there ever was before. 64 is growing and its growing fast.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
This is the most untrue thing I've ever read. 64 is bigger now than it ever was before. Genesis 3 (this weekend) is the biggest 64 tournament ever. There are more 64 tournaments now and more active players than there ever was before. 64 is growing and its growing fast.
I haven't even noticed. It honestly looks like its getting as much hype as it usually does. /shrug oh well I messed up.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman

L M A O
M
A
O
Every statement in this post is laughable.

D

Deleted member

Smasher, stop referencing me in all of your posts. I know you're in awe of my amazing skills, but still... kthanxbai

Last edited by a moderator:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I just want him off the thread. *********** like that shouldn't be allow on SmashBoards especially when they insult the community up front.
It's not an insult to the community it's an actual fact. If you or any one else is offended by my statements then maybe you should just get good like how the melee and fake-smash communities are. They have many top level players who fluctuate skill wise because the community is so large and has gotten so good overall that they are able to have multiple-isais.

But there is also a matter of smash64 simply being a more fundamental game which unless you've played through just about everything then you aren't going to understand or know how to do or that you can do somethings even after years of playing. The top apex players are a prime example of how bad the smash64 community is and always has been. Let's take fireblaster for example, in no way shape or form is he anywhere near being someone who should be "top level" considering how much experience in smash64 he lacks despite him originally starting a long time ago. Look at LD, Wizzrobe, all these players who are suppose to be good or "top level" but they are still so bad at the game compared to how Melee top level players are in comparison to their average players. There is a very real lack of skill factor in smash64 that isn't addressed by many people because they want to believe them selfs to be good at the game. As far as I'm concerned ISAI is still the only good smash64 player in the world. He's the only person who's justified in being considered "top level" or anything like that.

Smash64 is far too complex for majority of the community to grasp. Only very few people I've met actually understand the gap between everyone and that man. Whether he wants to admit it or not he's always going to be the best smash64 player and no one is ever going to give him enough of a run for his money to jv6 stock him even casually. He's been way too pumped up off mango juice for way too many years, you kids got no clue as to why Isai had over a million people named "Isai" put in court and forced to change their names. Isai is too good, smash64 players are too bad.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep
It's not an insult to the community it's an actual fact. If you or any one else is offended by my statements then maybe you should just get good like how the melee and fake-smash communities are. They have many top level players who fluctuate skill wise because the community is so large and has gotten so good overall that they are able to have multiple-isais.

But there is also a matter of smash64 simply being a more fundamental game which unless you've played through just about everything then you aren't going to understand or know how to do or that you can do somethings even after years of playing. The top apex players are a prime example of how bad the smash64 community is and always has been. Let's take fireblaster for example, in no way shape or form is he anywhere near being someone who should be "top level" considering how much experience in smash64 he lacks despite him originally starting a long time ago. Look at LD, Wizzrobe, all these players who are suppose to be good or "top level" but they are still so bad at the game compared to how Melee top level players are in comparison to their average players. There is a very real lack of skill factor in smash64 that isn't addressed by many people because they want to believe them selfs to be good at the game. As far as I'm concerned ISAI is still the only good smash64 player in the world. He's the only person who's justified in being considered "top level" or anything like that.

Smash64 is far too complex for majority of the community to grasp. Only very few people I've met actually understand the gap between everyone and that man. Whether he wants to admit it or not he's always going to be the best smash64 player and no one is ever going to give him enough of a run for his money to jv6 stock him even casually. He's been way too pumped up off mango juice for way too many years, you kids got no clue as to why Isai had over a million people named "Isai" put in court and forced to change their names. Isai is too good, smash64 players are too bad.
Cool dude.

LonerCrisis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sparkyysheep

Each smash game is played with analyzing your player and finding their habits rather than actually learning tech and getting good with a character. You can know the basics of a character and still be extremely good cause you are able to find your opponents flaws and mistakes, habits things they continue to do that you can counter in a smash match.

Top Bottom