• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Fox considered lame?

Nero_

Smash Rookie
My friend always tells me that fox is lame saying that his entire combo game is stale and boring. Even saying that people only play him because he is a high tier "ez" character and all they want to do is win.

I really want to set him straight and show him that fox is not a lame character and actually fun to play.

I would also like to hear from people that think the same way so they can give legitimate reasons.

Defyler

Smash Cadet
First of all Fox is the exact opposite of an "ez" character. He requires tons of technical skill and requires daily practice to be good with him, but once you master him he is very, very good and this is why he is considered top tier by many. In fact I'd say he's one of the hardest characters to use in the game. I wouldn't say that Fox is the most exciting to watch but he is, to many very fun to play as and that is why most people use him, not because he is top tier. Most people I know don't main Fox because he is the "best" but because they just genuinely enjoy playing as him. This is because he has seemingly infinite options and you can really see an improvement after spending hours of practice with him.

Your friend is probably just butthurt

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Actual lame characters - Puff, Sheik

Safe, non-technical, easy to pick up.

Spacies definitely aren't; especially considering recovery, you have to know shortens and angles very well or you will die early A LOT. After you get good with them they can seem lame, it's clear they were given the most options and tools out of the whole cast.

divekicked

Smash Cadet
Depends on the player really, you can be really offensive and have heavy pressure. Or you can platform camp and laser the entire game.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The only people that don't like watching spacies and think they're boring are those who don't understand what's going on tbh

Rachman

be water my friend
It's a common theme for lower level players to find spacies, Fox specifically, less "hype" than many other characters. It's likely because, as the above poster said, they simply don't grasp what's going on. Spacies are the most aggressive characters in the game and it's laughable remembering when I used to think Fox was lame.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I think Fox is pretty lame. Being able to convert so many situations so easily into a large combo or a KO to me is pretty lame. He's just so good. With that said, he's not exactly easy to play. At a pretty casual level, though, Fox is pretty good at being lame, really good, and easy to play.

Last edited:
Its funny though since Fox can be an easy to pick-up as a character if you keep it simple.

Maybe not as simple as Sheik though. But, you can play an effective fox without having to go super deep into the more complex things about fox.

D

Deleted member

Not at all, high level fox play is awesome to watch.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It gets lame when they are everywhere and everyone plays them.

It gets old fast when a lot of the love of them is there raw power over the cast and not really with a playstyle.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Coming from a Puff main, Fox is incredibly lame.

It feels like every single fox I've played for the past 2 years has done exactly the same thing with varying levels of ability.

If Fox wasn't in the game, we wouldn't have nearly as many stage bans and a lot of lower tier characters would suddenly become tournament viable.

Narpas_sword

He's just butthurt, Fox is easily one of the hardest characters in the game.
It's a strange concept really.

He may have a lot of tech requirements. but in doing so, you end up with a high ability character.
The Difficulty to Reward Ratio is quite even.

Then you take someone like Bowser, who hasn't got an abundance of tech requirement. but you get nothing from it.

Who is really the harder one to play as?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
It's a strange concept really.

He may have a lot of tech requirements. but in doing so, you end up with a high ability character.
The Difficulty to Reward Ratio is quite even.

Then you take someone like Bowser, who hasn't got an abundance of tech requirement. but you get nothing from it.

Who is really the harder one to play as?
I mean, that's true, while it is a lot harder to get VERY good as Bowser, there's a lot more competition as a Fox.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Please explain on what you mean by 'there's a lot more competition as fox'?
I think he meant there's just way more representation.

At any rate without even practicing tech skill Fox has HUGE advantages even on a "BORP" level of play.

He's so fast vertically and horizontally, fast high damage aerials and smashes, fast jump, amazing jab, perfect traction that allows sliding JC grabs & sliding U/D smashes, shine, stupidly small land lag on Up B, super easy KO setups and combos.

His recovery angles and shorten are the only thing you have to practice initially and after a few weeks you can be dominating.

Last edited:

Arctic_

Smash Rookie

It feels like every single fox I've played for the past 2 years has done exactly the same thing with varying levels of ability.

If Fox wasn't in the game, we wouldn't have nearly as many stage bans and a lot of lower tier characters would suddenly become tournament viable.
i don't know

i get the stage bans think cause waveshine rofl but who likes walk offs anyway.

and on the lower teir characters note, that's more of a sheik thing than fox. it's not fox who beats bowser 100:0 it's sheik lol, generally she's the low teir killah, and marth get killed by a lot of mid teirs like link and pikachu cause pika is like a **** fox that marth can't combo as hard. if you wanna blame anyone for low teirs being low it's sheik

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
fox is definitely not considered lame by anyone that understands how high you can go with him (figuratively speaking, not in tournament standings, although that too). fox has more potential for movement options in general than any other character (maybe falcon comes close?) in my opinion and that means it takes more out of the player to bring it out of him.

that's not to say he doesn't have lame tactics that just work a lot of the time, like most characters, and there are cheesy ways to play him. and who knows if you even need to play fox at full potential to be the objectively best character in the game?

i am sort of a noob in competitive smash, so take these words with a grain of salt, but that's my perception of fox.

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
Although the spacies are some of the hardest characters to play as effectively, once you can do so they're exceedingly versatile. Fox is no Diddy Kong. I think the only reason he would be perceived as lame is because so many people play him now, that he's become somewhat mainstream.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik all body low tiers about the same extent. It doesn't matter if Sheik 75-25's Pichu and Fox only goes 70-30 -- it's a huge disadvantage and they're going to lose either way.

Last edited:

BigBr0123

Smash Rookie
:039:I think fox is the lamest character because every fox main can't beat my jigglypuff. My jigggly has never been beaten in a set against a lame fox main (one has taken a game off my samus though)

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I think fox is boring but not lame, if that makes sense. I don't see myself having fun playing him at all.

Nyxx

Smash Rookie
Fox is a braindead character with 3 different options that will work in any situation. He has the best movement, the single best tool in the game, the ability to put on suffocating pressure or runaway and camp. If you aren't dumb as rocks, you should be able to have a good but of success with him. That being said, he does require a bit of execution. This is just my perspective as a fox main.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord

Yup...

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
I think Fox is pretty broken, and he should have definitely been nerfed, since he doesn't have any real weakness. I would love to see him banned from some tournaments (or at least make PAL the universal tournament game), but that will probably never happen so other character mains will just have to deal with him. That being said, we all love Melee and the fact the game is not perfect does not affect my love for it or willingness to keep playing it. Fox will always be a part of the game, and Fox mains will always have the drawback of knowing their opponents will have fought Fox more than any other character. The ease of punishing Fox back is at least some small consolation for his lameness, and as bad as Fox is he still isn't broken enough to drive me to Sm4sh.

Delta Chae

The Observer
I think Fox is pretty broken, and he should have definitely been nerfed, since he doesn't have any real weakness. I would love to see him banned from some tournaments (or at least make PAL the universal tournament game), but that will probably never happen so other character mains will just have to deal with him. That being said, we all love Melee and the fact the game is not perfect does not affect my love for it or willingness to keep playing it. Fox will always be a part of the game, and Fox mains will always have the drawback of knowing their opponents will have fought Fox more than any other character. The ease of punishing Fox back is at least some small consolation for his lameness, and as bad as Fox is he still isn't broken enough to drive me to Sm4sh.
I really think people need to stop throwing the term "broken" around. Sure, Fox has several options that allow him to be prepared for just about any situation but being the 3rd or 4th lightest character in the game (PAL and NTSC respectively), he dies fairly quickly and his recovery, while not as predictable as say: Marth's or Falcon's, is still linear in nature and not that hard to edge guard especially for Marth players. Additionally because he falls so fast, it's not that hard to combo or chain grab him, especially on FD. Granted, his pros do outweigh his cons to most people, but this alone is not enough to consider a character "broken". Fox still has even matchups against other top tier characters.

I think the only characters that you can argue are/were "broken" in the Smash series are Meta Knight in Brawl and Diddy Kong in Smash 4 (Pre-1.0.6), and I'm not even going to say these characters are/were broken, just that you could make a case that they are/were.

Top Bottom