• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is "For Glory" a competitive scene?

SuperArtCancel

Smash Rookie
NNID
shoryukens
3DS FC
1607-2675-9297
Well it's definitely better than having to practice against the CPU that's for sure. It also helps me get out of my bad habits so it makes for a great practice tool. I usually just play single matches until I find someone that's better than me and then continue to rematch that player until one of us gets tired. I can tell that 4G has made me a better player (still a scrub) so no complaints from me.

Aeggoh

Smash Rookie
I agree with some of the above posts. For Glory is a good means to improve your gameplay, not really competitive.

If your win rate was somehow visible to others, I feel like the mode would be more competitive. But since you are the only one who can directly see your Smash stats, the appeal to have good stats is pretty meh.

DH1125

Smash Rookie
NNID
DH1125
3DS FC
0688-6071-1761
It's competitive to a certain extent. As far as stages and communication goes it isnt but like others have said, I think 4G is a great practice tool. Unlike brawl, the connection overall is pretty decent (I'd say about 70% feels close to lag free, 20% are good enough or at least bearable, and 10% are either annoying or just terrible to the point where you can't even play your character right). That alone can produce higher level matches. Having said that, only a 1/3 of the ppl I find are decent / good enough to know what they are kind of doing, with 1/4 of ppl i find being really good...the rest either are predictable or just terrible lol. But when playing those who are good who also have good connections, it does give you the opportunity to not only learn a character's matchup better but also improve your game as well. If the person either lags, camps to living hell, or just sucks, I usually leave..but when you find someone who is good, it can be pretty fun if yall can get a good amount of matches in. I aint the best by any means but 4G has helped me learn how to play some characters better. I'm a lil more of a casual player compared to others here but do play competitively when in mood since i prefer just to do 1v1's, so it's nice to have as it acts as a quick way to find a match. It's a mode I see myself using a good amount on the wii u version, especially if your able to add ppl you have had good matches with afterwards.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Of course playing in FG can improve your play. Just don't develop bad habits against bad players and strive to get beaten by better players so you can figure out why you're losing. It might not prepare you for tournament level play, but it will at least push you in the right direction; adapting to different people's playstyles and figuring out what works in which match ups, generally getting more experienced overall.

FAN XD

Smash Rookie
NNID
kawoXD
3DS FC
4270-0874-1848
one thing i like about the For Glory records is that they keep track win rate % of the last 10, 50 and 100. If you want to grind for experience and not worry about win rate you can, but if you want to test to see how high you can get your win rate you can keep track for the next 50 or 100 etc.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Not really. It has everything set up to be competitive but the lack of communication stops it from becoming a "scene." I would definitely call it a competitive matchmaking, however.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
I don't consider it to be a "competitive scene". It's where I go to practice. A ladder would really help though. I wonder if there is a way for someone to create a report based third party ladder system though. That would be kind of cool if its was possible.

プロト

Smash Rookie
Most of the players participating on the mode certainly take it competitively. I see it more as a warm up as from experience most of the players are not very competent. Although I do understand controls can pose as a problem for people. All & all I dont really see it as a truly competitive mode. That could change on the WiiU version but I would not get my hopes up on that.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
My theory is that it is going to end up working like a filter system over time. Eventually the scale will begin to tip as more and more players will be discouraged from playing FG due to the number 'competent' players actively playing, leaving behind those who are thirsty and/or skilled/competent. As the competition on FG begins to rise, the number of new players who dont really know what theyre doing will reduce, and more and more competent competition will arise.

Ziem'sPit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darklink2nd
3DS FC
0602-6753-0653
Ehhhh...not really. I use it to get better with my mains and learn characters I don't really know. Fighting humans > Fighting Lvl9 Bots (Damn things only know when you're going to attack and how to dodge them) Besides the way the matchmaking is set up doesn't really lend itself to competition either. So competitive scene? No. For friends is the definitive Online multiplayer experience for Smash bros. imo.

SuperDynasty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4270-2874-8095
I just joined this site hoping that i would find some people to play with and i think i hit the jackpot. This whole time i have been doing FG for 659 matches, looking for good opponents. Anyone want to add FC's and play?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I'd have to say no, considering that offline I'd never mess up Pikachu's recovery and kill myself when it should have been an easy recovery. The timing of your recovery moves, techs and attacks are changed by even the slightest bit of lag.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would say it is competitive to a point.

This pretty much sums up the For Glory mode in SSB4:

Clbull

Smash Rookie
No, and to call it a competitive mode is laughable at best. You cannot play on any map other than Final Destination (or about 20+ various reskins of FD) so that already throws the concept of map balance out of the park and the game suffers from some of the worst input lag and poor netcode I've ever seen since trying to play Age of Empires II HD online.

The worrying thing is that For Glory could become the SSB4 competitive standard, so no custom movesets, no Mii Fighters, 2-stock and FD only. We'd basically be going back to SSB64's Japanese competitive scene where Dream Land is the only stage played.

It's making me seriously concerned for the Wii U version.

Ziem'sPit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darklink2nd
3DS FC
0602-6753-0653
No, and to call it a competitive mode is laughable at best. You cannot play on any map other than Final Destination (or about 20+ various reskins of FD) so that already throws the concept of map balance out of the park
There are only 3 legal stages that aren't FD/Omega. The game would literally be Yoshi's Island, Tomodachi Life and Battlefield.
You're gonna have to deal with that.

Clbull

Smash Rookie
The prob is the SSB4 competitive scene is quick to ban any stage that isn't just a banal, boring-as-crap set of platforms. There are undeniably a lot of unsuitable maps in SSB43DS but there's a few which are quite well-designed and would work well, possibly even as a counter-pick.
  • Prism Tower isn't a bad map, aside from the walkoff at the start of the stage which probably got the stage banned in the first place. Other than that, unlike most of the SSB4 stages, there aren't random neutral hazards that will screw players around.
  • Arena Ferox should be allowed because it is basically Pokémon Stadium (A neutral stage in competitive SSBM Doubles and a Counter Pick stage in SSBM Singles) with a different layout.
  • The 3DS version of Mute City is quite good. The only real hazard is platforms slowly moving left/right as if simulating a F Zero race, and vehicles leaving the play area (which is warned well in advance by a huge Check sign.)
The other stages? Yeah, I think there's very good reason for keeping them banned. Jungle Japes has some serious balance issues when it comes to the river, Streetpass Quest had potential until you realized just how bad the NPC boss monster is, Unova Pokémon League could have been good if you could disable all the background hazards and Rainbow Road really didn't have to be a SSBM Mute City clone.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Input lag changes basic gameplay too much to really be considered competitive, IMO. Lots of general spacing tactics become outright unsafe. Players on For Glory tend to (ab)use the lag and/or be pretty bad. The vast majority of opponents I've played have been Greninja, Sonic, Lucario, and Sheik, characters that benefit a great deal from the lag.

I've played about 200 matches, jumping out immediately after at least 90% of them, and I can count the number of people who I could say, "Hey, this guy has a solid handle on the neutral game" on one hand (and one of them was Boss!). I would recommend trying not to take your For Glory win rate seriously, especially if you want to transfer that ability to offline events. Experimentation is key.

Cook

Smash Master
I don't consider it to be a "competitive scene". It's where I go to practice. A ladder would really help though. I wonder if there is a way for someone to create a report based third party ladder system though. That would be kind of cool if its was possible.
Allisbrawl.com

Last edited:

Element_Demon

Smash Cadet
I agree with a few other posters on here. It's more of a mode then scene scene. Skill level varies, and you can rack up easy wins on not so good players. I do use For Glory though to practice with characters I've never used before. Nintendojo is the place to be if you want to face skilled players on a ranking.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
this thread in a nutshell: everyone in 4glory is horrible noob except me, im a pretty good guy who doesn't afraid of no lil' mac

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
What happened to that Tournament feature Sakurai was going to add along with the Miiverse stage? I think that could definitely lead to a better competitive online system. Make a lobby/"Tournament" that consists of neutral/counterpick stages, no items, standard stock/time rules etc.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
It's a step in the right direction for the series, but on it's own it doesn't make a great competitive scene. The matchmaking being completely random gives you a very inconsistent playing experience.

However, I started playing FG real late at night (2:00-5:00 AM) and I get matched with a lot of Japanese players. A lot of them are very good.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's a nice practice setting, but like many players say, it doesn't truly matter because of lag conditions in a game supporting local play.

It's still competitive, though.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
The input lag prevents a lot of combos and caters to rolling. The flat stage caters heavily to projectiles, which are already op since your dodge on landing is cancelled. I would not recommend FG for anything other than dumping time. You get better games against amiibos in matches that move faster and enable precise combos.

Top Bottom