• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falco truly one of the worst characters to play when n beginning to learn the game?

gapw

Smash Cadet
I've mained Falcon for a few weeks but recently tried learning basic Falco tech and trying him out on my friends that also play Melee somewhat competitively. I found it really satisfying and fun to play as Falco. At first I got bodied, but when I started to actually play a bit carefully and think a bit more I was able to get pretty good results with the character. But I've also heard that Falco is braindead at lower levels because of how easy his combos are and how you don't even need to really learn the neutral at lower levels, which can screw you over once you start playing better people.

So if I'm worried about playing a braindead character and hampering my understanding of the game, is Falco a bad character to learn? Should I just stick with Falcon?

AirFair

Marth tho
Are you the guy who was on Sfat's stream with this question?

Well, because he has lasers, his neutral is drastically different from that of falcon or fox. If you enjoy Falco, it would be worth learning him, but maybe you would want to learn more about spacing and the neutral first. Falcon and Marth are good characters to start that with, but whether or not you stay with them that's up to you.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Kinda like AirFair said, Marth or Falcon are really good to start out with. You'll learn a lot about spacing moves and how to effectively look for openings for your best tools. Mid to higher levels, however, you can learn a lot about the game from playing spacies, Fox or Falco. Personally, I picked up Falco to be silly one day and see what I could learn and well now I'm dual maining him with Marth. He's so fun

cWebSmash

Smash Rookie
Just start out as whoever you enjoy to play. It will be much easier to become good at the game if your enjoying the character your play. Falcos a blast.

AirFair

Marth tho
Just start out as whoever you enjoy to play. It will be much easier to become good at the game if your enjoying the character your play. Falcos a blast.
There is merit to your statement, but it's hard for a new player to understand laser theory right off the bat. My advice would be to stay with Falcon, but ONLY UNTIL you learn how his neutral works, and then start learning Falco tech.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
There is merit to your statement, but it's hard for a new player to understand laser theory right off the bat. My advice would be to stay with Falcon, but ONLY UNTIL you learn how his neutral works, and then start learning Falco tech.
The funny thing is, I have a mildly successful Falco without the use of lasers. It's a bit of an odd strategy, but basically I don't use lasers because my Falco just wants to put as much pressure on you as quickly as possible. It's like 4000% offensive.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Maybe, but I'm trying not to be laser dependent. A lot of poeple are working on their powershields and I don't want to get wrecked because I don't know how to work without lasers. I'll use anti-recovery lasers and to set up a wall sometimes. For example, when fighting Falcon I'll place varied lasers sometimes when I'm thinking about what I feel like doing next. I just mix up placement so he's got not ground or aerial route. I know how to use lasers, but they're generally not a part of my strategy because I'm working on some more intricate Falco stuff.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
The biggest problem with working on Marth is that for months I've only had my bro's sheik and very rarely my friends Falcon to practice against. I'll be the first to say that my Marth definitely has improvement left in neutral and combo games, but until I start going to tourneys regularly I can't really improve him too much more. Also, Falco provides me a second option if my Marth gets bodied.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Whatever works for you. Feel like since you are kind of new, you should be focusing on Marth tho
Why would a new falco main have to learn marth first. I mean marth is cool sure but the best character for learning falco really is falco.

AirFair

Marth tho
You can improve with shadwoboxing and working on dashdance and movement. And 20XX cpu is great for punish game and combo/techchase practice.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I can't get 20XX, unfortunately. And honestly my movement doesn't need too much improvement at this level. With the exception of accidental full jumps because I need to work on nerves when I'm fighting. I've got a tourney in a few weeks and hopefully biweeklies after that, so I'll probably start putting in way more work on my Marth once that happens. Honestly the biggest issue is that my parents won't let me play on weekdays unless it's after school on a Friday. So much potential practice time wasted. :glare:

AirFair

Marth tho
I am in the same boat, but at least try for 10 15 minutes to move your character. Just turning on the game and moving around a stage for 15 minutes is more than enough during the school year

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
Starting with Falco's fine. Just don't be that guy who has no laser mixups, no techskill, and goes for nothing other than shine->full hop dair when comboing.

AirFair

Marth tho
You might be right. I haven't done anything like this since I stuck to Marth only lol so I'm just making inferences.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Falco is a great character to start with. Definitely stick with Falco and you won't regret it.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
i know this is off topic but where did you make your youtube/twitter/twitch tag thing?
Welcome to the boards, this would be better to discuss in a private conversation, but for the sake of time and effort, I made it in Photoshop along with my avatar.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I am in the same boat, but at least try for 10 15 minutes to move your character. Just turning on the game and moving around a stage for 15 minutes is more than enough during the school year
Well, I can definitely manage more than 10-15 minutes of Marth practice a day. That, at least, I know won't bore me. Typically when I shadowbox I practice movement on YS because I can gauge my accuracy there (shoutouts to PPU for his "How I Train On My Own" video). Besides that I'll also practice chaingrabbing spacies on FD (lvl1 and 4 CPUs). Falco shadowboxing is mostly practicing spacing and SHFFL approaches.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people talk about learning stuff like it magically happens by playing the game....and it does to a certain extent.....but it happens very slowly. If ur worried ur lacking something in ur game b/c ur relying too much on lasers and easy punishes, then make a concerted effort to learn new things. Friendlies mean NOTHING, so try something new in every one. Try to extend punishes by testing a completely new tree, try to implement a new move into neutral by using it in place of other moves, and most importantly, try ALL the new tech u practice during matches. Every character can and will stunt ur growth as a player if u abuse braindead strategies, its not a falco problem.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
That's really true. If you have something that you know is a bad idea, intentionally avoid using it. For example, I used to abuse Fsmash with Marth, so I made a really conscious effort to not use it at all for a few weeks, and now it's slowly making a reappearance where it is useful. Just make sure you're doing everything intentionally.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Its interesting as I posed this question to myself coming back to melee after having not touched it essentially since release. I looked at it a couple of ways, and just essentially just made my mind up based on experience.

So ultimately if you want to play Falco you are at some stage going to need to learn him. Now you could learn a character that is "easier" to pick up in terms of fundamentals and tech, but in reality everything will have a learning curve, and presenting a challenge later of transferring might ultimately not be worth it.

As I say I looked at this when moving to melee - I knew I wanted to play Falco, but upon entry the tech demands seem daunting - but ultimately if I wanted to hit my goals (which are not competitive, my competitive days are years behind me, however, even when I am "casual" I want to do things the most optimal way, I actually find it relaxing) - I'd have to just suck it up and learn it at some stage. Initially I picked marth - but ultimately I knew I wanted to play Falco, I'd have to eventually learn him - so why stall it.

Being average, good or great, it all will take practice and time - no matter who you pick - it honestly is best to start on the road that ultimately leads you to where you need to go - there will be lots of information that you will pick up during that experience. @ FE_Hector FE_Hector mentions his fsmash on Marth - those little things being learned along the route saves time later (if you were to transfer over to Falco at a later date).

Not to mention, the earlier you start committing tougher tech or character specific skill to muscle memory - the more it becomes a habit - again saving time and "relearning" or "unlearning" later.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I completely agree with @ Bullys Bullys . A lot of people actually complain about Marth being high tier without being technical, but it's just a slightly different form of technical. Marth requires a way more analytical and reaction-based approach. You've got to be able to bait out moves really well with DD, perfect your grab and combo game, and react really fast to situations. Despite that, he's not as technical as far as button presses go as, for example, everybody's favorite bird is. Trust me, I'm a Marth main. For however good he is, it takes a lot of effort to get good with him. The difference is that a lot of the learning curve for Falco is at lower levels because of how complex some of his techs are. Marth, however, starts encountering roadblocks (and really huge ones) higher up. Stick with who you love, just don't go braindead.

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
Just be conscious of what you are doing as you're learning, don't make the wrong habits... Simple.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Just be conscious of what you are doing as you're learning, don't make the wrong habits... Simple.
It may be simple conceptually, but it is easier said than done. "Combos" that work on no DI (shadowboxing) rarely work on other people. Also, things that work against a lower-level training partner probably won't work on good players. Make optimal choices, not just the ones that work.

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
It may be simple conceptually, but it is easier said than done. "Combos" that work on no DI (shadowboxing) rarely work on other people. Also, things that work against a lower-level training partner probably won't work on good players. Make optimal choices, not just the ones that work.
Falco can combo pretty much any DI on any character that's not Luigi or Samus. Puff is tricky, too.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah but there's differences between lower and higher level DI in terms of survivability and techskill, so what you think is a combo very well may not be.

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
Yeah but there's differences between lower and higher level DI in terms of survivability and techskill, so what you think is a combo very well may not be.
Lots of punishes are juggle strings or reactionary techchases, yes. But Falco has the most true combos out of anyone in the game.

Top Bottom