• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is Event Mode Lazy?

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I CAN"T be the only person who noticed during the event mode section of the 50 fact video there were a lot of... familiar looking windows. It seems like they recycled a good amount of events directly from brawl. I recognized two kings and a zelda event for sure, and there are likely plenty more. Of course, there were some new events on display, but in general I feel like this was a late add and they got lazy with event creation.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Would it even matter?
Event mode is a quick way to burn off some time.
And if they recycle some from Brawl, WHO CARES?
If you don't like the event, don't play it.

Looks can be deceiving. We'll know for certain upon the game's official release.
I agree, don't judge a book by it's cover.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Don't know what your talking about. None of those looked the same. Please be more specific.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
While we didn't see very many of them, I was cautiously optimistic during the video noticing that the few that were revealed looked much more creative than Brawl's.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
It's not wrong or lazy for events to be similar to ones from the past. Some are just classic, traditional ideas that are awesome no matter how many times we see them, especially because the little changes they come with make it fresh.
Others are just ideas you can't NOT have just because you used it before, such as an idea central to a certain video game franchise or such that will always be unique or fun.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
OP do you have any examples? It does seem a bit too early to call off on that now, but we'll see.

Would it even matter?
Event mode is a quick way to burn off some time.
And if they recycle some from Brawl, WHO CARES?
If you don't like the event, don't play it.
Good for you. you're not everybody.

I care because Event Match is my favorite single player mode and I would be disappointed if there's a lot of rehashed content. No need to act like a major jerk about it and disregard any possible reasonable criticism (if it turns out to be true).

But as long as many event matches are original and creative, it's great. Brawl's event matches sort of felt... just there due to it not being very interesting.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The challenges were mostly the same of Brawl, and the events will probably be too.
It's also said they're mostly simply themed matches with no specific particular gimmick or different rule.
I created a bunch of fanmade events and they have so much potential... It's a pity.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
The one clearly shown in the video had you using Pac-Man's final smash to eat a bunch of characters to get a high score combo. That's a perfect example of the game using a unique mechanic to create a unique win condition, something which was common among Melee's events but lacking in Brawl's. You can't say that that's not creative.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
We don't know everything about them for sure as of now.

I'd like a co-op event match (if they do become DLC as well) where you play as Ganondorf and Mewtwo and go up against Ness, Shulk, Lucina, and Link in an All-Star-esque battle. Or just as Ganondorf.

"THIS IS ALL WRITTEN!"

the8thark

Smash Lord
It looks rather similar to Hyrule Warriors Adventure Mode where you unlock more map squares as you progress further on. It sure beats the linear 1-51 of Melee and the total mess that was event mode in brawl. The catch is how good are the individual event mode matches. If they are good then this will be a fun mode.

Luigi789

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luigi789
It looks rather similar to Hyrule Warriors Adventure Mode where you unlock more map squares as you progress further on. It sure beats the linear 1-51 of Melee and the total mess that was event mode in brawl. The catch is how good are the individual event mode matches. If they are good then this will be a fun mode.
yea it kinda does now when i think about it XD

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Did we get a new King for Trouble King 3?

I'd like to see Trouble Prince starring Marth and Bowser Jr

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Did we get a new King for Trouble King 3?

I'd like to see Trouble Prince starring Marth and Bowser Jr
If King K. Rool gets in as DLC we can finally have Three Trouble Kings.

Trouble Prince would be a great idea actually as a substitute.

Sergiomonty

Smash Rookie
Does anyone even remember the events from Brawl? Just put me a challenge and I'll be up to beat it, that's the only thing that matters about Event mode. Recycling... pfff.

Naoshi

Does anyone even remember the events from Brawl? Just put me a challenge and I'll be up to beat it, that's the only thing that matters about Event mode. Recycling... pfff.
Barely, but I sure as hell remember Melee's event matches. Brawl's were not really memorable or too interesting. Maybe they don't matter to you, but it matters to those that feels differently. I have no issues with very few recycled ones though, as some are actually pretty traditional and worth recycling.

Can't believe some of the responses in the thread. It's like we're not allowed to want creative and memorable modes. jfc

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
As someone who likes Brawl miles more than Melee, I have to agree that Melee's event matches were way bette . They were memorable, fun, and the way to actually unlock stuff including characters . It was great

Last edited:

Dan_sika13

Smash Rookie
Let's just wait until the freaking game is out to cal it lazy.

geez, let's discuss interesting stuff for once.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Let's just wait until the freaking game is out to cal it lazy.

geez, let's discuss interesting stuff for once.
Coates... There are plenty of "more interesting" threads around, you don't need to insult this one, yo. On an SSB flavored forum everything is an interesting topic to many SSB fans.

Naoshi

As someone who likes Brawl miles more than Melee, I have to agree that Melee's event matches were way bette . They were memorable, fun, and the way to actually unlock stuff including characters . It was great
And the event matches where your reward are trophies... you actually fight on them! That was way too cool!

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
well the idea might be the same but the programming was still made from the ground up so = not that lazy

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
How cool would it be to have an event match that is a completely new boss battle at the end? We need to at least have one that lets you face off against 9.0 Master core and master fortress.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
What's wrong with some Event Matches coming back? Some are iconic and should come back, like Link vs. Dark Link.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
How cool would it be to have an event match that is a completely new boss battle at the end? We need to at least have one that lets you face off against 9.0 Master core and master fortress.
This. I can clear classic 9.0 no issue until Master Core. I wish I could train against it because otherwise I'm having to go all the way through classic again

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Isn't it unfair to call Event Mode lazy when we essentially have no knowledge of the matches within it? (Aside from the various ones shown from gameplay, of course.)

Event matches are where we get to play very interesting Smash battles under themed conditions, I lorve them very much~

With incoming Mewtwo, I hope there will be a DLC Event where we get the return of Event 51 (hopefully with a real Giga Koopa).

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
The only "recycled" ideas we saw were the first even match, being Two Heavyweights (Bowser and DK) and for 2-player, something about Bowser and Bowser Jr. And those are more traditional in the sense that the first event match in each game related to a main villain, being Bowser usually.

the8thark

Smash Lord
DK or Ganondorf could be the third Trouble King. Ganon is King of Evil and DK is King of the Jungle.
Ganondorf, DK, Dedede. All 3 are kings of their respective areas.
This. I can clear classic 9.0 no issue until Master Core. I wish I could train against it because otherwise I'm having to go all the way through classic again
I am sure you've done this on the WiiU before.
/sarcasm

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I think it's too soon to say yet,you should wait for the game to come out before you say is it lazy or not we don't have enough info yet.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would love for the event matches in SSB4 to reference Brawl's and Melee's.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I'll tell you this, with experience, game developers are (nearly) never lazy. It's a poor choice of words to describe your feelings about content that appears easy to produce, and appears unnecessarily hostile towards the Smash dev team.

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't look that lazy to me. I wouldn't mind a throwback to previous Event Matches from Melee and Brawl, since some of them were pretty fun, especially Event 51: The Showdown. I'm curious if they are going to make an event match with Master Core in it.

Top Bottom