• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is edgehoging and spamming b moves desperate?

D

Deleted member

I play as space animals mainly and if they're open I definitely go for it. I don't camp and roll spam though, that's no fun and makes games longer. I think projectiles just shouldn't knock you back at all, maybe they will do that in the next smash (excluding charged shots like samuses beam of course tho).

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
You're going to get answers from both sides of the pack, but you should understand that there is very little that the competitive Smash community considers "cheap." "Play to win" is a credo here, and the competitive community tends to feel that you can and should use every option at your disposal to win. This isn't really as "dirty" as it sounds. It just means that we like to recognize, understand, and be capable of utilizing every option available to us.

Smash is about more than colossal hits that can't be recovered from. There's as much depth in the strategies and counterstrategies involved with keeping a player off the ledge once he's there as there is in any other aspect of the game.

There is, however, a portion of the casual community that feels such tactics are "cheap," though people "graduate" from the mindset relatively often, as they become involved with the game and get better. Few, if any players, do the opposite--go from believing it's okay to believing it's cheap. Those who do regard it as cheap are usually met with strong opposition, even from within the casual community.

My attitude, and the attitudes of many many players, is that there's no reason to limit your own capabilities. If you can fight to keep a person off the edge, in addition to fighting to get them there, you should do so.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I find roll spam to be more frustrating than spamming(unless it's Pit's arrow spam). Especially when the person who roll spams is still rolling even when you're not even close to them(i.e. rolling back and forth even though they just KOed you).

billywill

Smash Journeyman
spam is annoying but its not desperate
edgehog is completely fine and really feels good when you pull it off perfectly

123aabc

Smash Rookie
Vineland NJ 1v1 or ffa no items. skilled player
i asked this because i know someone who says that its cheap and it means you have no skill....

smashboards has many competitive people instead of just casual players...

I accept advice from you people instead of just some casual player who sucks...

AznHalfCaucasian

Smash Journeyman
I played a couple of people who just spams projectiles left to right with Wolf/Pikachu/Pit/etc. *sigh*

-Shoot, it took me 45 minutes to beat a guy/girl/it/potato who just spams Wolf's laser the whole game with 3 stocks.

Can't stand it, but just.....all well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wolf's lasers? Pit's arrows? Inferior, haha.

Toon Link is an amazing spammer.

But the toughest ever to deal with? It's gotta be Zelda's Din's Fire! xDD

But even then, they are all approachable. I don't get what the whole deal is with projectiles. Powershielding is easy. If anyone has ever parried hadoukens in third strike, predicting when they will hit you is the same thing. Sure, powershielding is harder than actually spamming the projectiles... but get over it peeps.

I ***** a Toon Link with Dedede at my last tournament. Waddle dees stop everything. Waddle dees, however, do not stop Din's Fire.... too good!!!!!

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Spamming moves makes the player predictable, and most times easier to beat.

JNS

Smash Cadet
engehoggin/guarding are completellly legitimate strategies and i don't really get mad when it's used against me

Now spamming while a legitimate strategy is still a ridiculouslly annoying and cheap one that really takes away from the enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom