• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Dolphin Netplay "cross-platform"?

JamesConquest

Smash Rookie
I have a friend that owns a mac. I own a PC. He claims that if he gets Netplay, we won't be able to play together, because it's not cross-platform. Is this true?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
As long as you both use dolphin (only way to play netplay...) you should be able to play regardless of the brand of computer you're using. The only thing you'll have to worry about is (according to a friend of mine who uses an apple laptop), installing and setting up Dolphin and the other stuff needed for netplay can be more difficult for Mac users. Not sure on the specifics, but it's probably just the usual hardships apple users have to go through - installing an extra program or two to make windows stuff work properly, etc.

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
There is a version of dolphin for Mac and Linux. I should be about the same. and yes, you can play with your friend if you both set it up correctly.

Synth177

Smash Rookie
As long as you both use dolphin (only way to play netplay...) you should be able to play regardless of the brand of computer you're using. The only thing you'll have to worry about is (according to a friend of mine who uses an apple laptop), installing and setting up Dolphin and the other stuff needed for netplay can be more difficult for Mac users. Not sure on the specifics, but it's probably just the usual hardships apple users have to go through - installing an extra program or two to make windows stuff work properly, etc.
I have a mac and I didn't have to do anything extra like that to get dolphin working and I play with windows people all the time. OP your friend will be find.

Top Bottom