• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diddy easy to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Well, I've been playing Project M almost nonstop for the last few months now, and I've become the best among my group of friends with the 8 characters I use: Bowser, Sheik, Marth, Roy, Ike, Link, Ganondorf, and Falco. I can win against my friends with any of those characters and I'm currently working on Donkey Kong at the moment.

But, one of my friends is being…for lack of better words, a bit salty/in denial.

He recently started using Diddy Kong and we played a set of two out of three. The first two games I used Falco and I lost the first one because he kept gimping me by spamming Diddy's peanut gun.

I managed to win the second game, but the third game I switched to Link because I wasn't gonna lose due to being gimped by spamming.

I told him he won that first match fair and square, but I also said it was partially because Diddy Kong is very easy to use, in my personal opinion, since he's basically the same as he is in Smash 4, right?

He just flat out denies it and thinks he's amazing with Diddy Kong because he as a player is good, which I don't really think is true, since his strategy is as follows: dash attack, dash attack, dash attack, down smash, peanut gun. Or if you get launched, he throws out aerials. I shield it all, and I can land the combos and beat him, it's just kind of annoying since he goes right through the shield every time with his dash attack and he spams the Hell out of that peanut gun.

He just doesn't believe Diddy is easy to use. He just thinks he's awesome with him. I've been thinking of playing him with Diddy (who I've used in maybe 4 matches total) to show him how simple he is to use to prove a point.

Does anyone else think Diddy is as easy to use if not easier than Mario? Or am I just crazy?

I know he was nerfed in 3.5, but he doesn't really seem much worse outside of a shortened recovery.

Last edited:

Bellioes

Smash Lord
It sounds like your friend is beating you without even using bananas if his strategy is as you said it is...

Learn your out of shields options and his "strategy" wont work anymore. Diddy isnt nearly as broken as in 3.0 and you're wrong saying hes the same as Smash4. For one, Dthrow follow-ups are no longer even guaranteed in 3.5 so...

to answer your question though, Diddy is not at all a simple character. Spamming peanuts and dash attack shouldnt work... Youre not doing something right if it does to put it bluntly.

Last edited:

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
It sounds like your friend is beating you without even using bananas if his strategy is as you said it is...

Learn your out of shields options and his "strategy" wont work anymore. Diddy isnt nearly as broken as in 3.0 and you're wrong saying hes the same as Smash4. For one, Dthrow follow-ups are no longer even guaranteed in 3.5 so...

to answer your question though, Diddy is not at all a simple character. Spamming peanuts and dash attack shouldnt work... Youre not doing something right if it does to put it bluntly.
I forgot to mention, but yes, he does use bananas. Maybe I'm just not used to playing Diddy Kong, but the out of shield options I have are usually enough to deal with him. It's just that because the dash attack goes straight through me, it's more difficult to punish him for it and I have to find some way to exploit it. The question is how. Wavedash backwards maybe?

And the peanut spamming is only an annoyance onstage. Offstage is when it's a problem because if he hits me with one of them, then it hits me too far away to recover sometimes.

Last edited:

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
I forgot to mention, but yes, he does use bananas. Maybe I'm just not used to playing Diddy Kong, but the out of shield options I have are usually enough to deal with him. It's just that because the dash attack goes straight through me, it's more difficult to punish him for it and I have to find some way to exploit it. The question is how. Wavedash backwards maybe?
uhh.. Shield Grab. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bellioes

Smash Lord

And the peanut spamming is only an annoyance onstage. Offstage is when it's a problem because if he hits me with one of them, then it hits me too far away to recover sometimes.
First of all, Diddys dash attack has horrible priority. Half of the characters you play as have swords and I would say all of them have options to easily beat out diddys DA. You dont have to sit in shield when he charges at you ti dash attack. If ever you are stuck in shield, wavedash out of shield is good. Or just punish the end lag with a short hop aerial. If your using Diddy too, Usmash outve shield is good too cause it hits behind him.

Im assuming you need help when he ends up behind you so shield grabs wont work of course.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Well, it's that, but I'd also like some advice on how to deal with Diddy while playing as Falco. The problem is that Falco's Up B has a lot of start up lag, which gives Diddy's peanut gun plenty of time to just hit me and gimp me. Couple this with the fact that Falco's recovery is incredibly short, and it's a recipe for disaster if I get knocked off the stage.

I could win easily with the 4 sword users I play. But I'd like to have a little variety in being able to win consistently without needing an advantage like that and then have someone complain that I can't win without using someone with a sword.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Then thats a question for the Falco boards. Id say just mix it up between sideB and upB when recovering and his phantasm goes a lot further it seems to me so thats probably even preferable. but youll probably get a more complete answer over there.

Edit: on a side note, its pretty difficult to have so many characters and be able to play at an equally proficient level with all of them. If you plan to play just casually with friends its cool but when you want to get more competitive, focusing your time on 1,2 or 3 at the most is important to improve.

Last edited:

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
he's basically the same as he is in Smash 4, right?
Well I don't really think that's a comparison one can make considering the enormous differences between the games. The amount of techniques diddy must be able to use with the banana in pm raises his skill level astronomically alone. It seems like you and your friend are a little upset and are focusing more on the balance and ease of individual characters instead of just getting better. Just ignore it and practice practice practice. Once you're way better than them because while they were complaining about balance and you were improving it won't matter anymore.

Also no Johns

Last edited:

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
Well I don't really think that's a comparison one can make considering the enormous differences between the games. The amount of techniques diddy must be able to use with the banana in pm raises his skill level astronomically alone. It seems like you and your friend are a little upset and are focusing more on the balance and ease of individual characters instead of just getting better. Just ignore it and practice practice practice. Once you're way better than them because while they were complaining about balance and you were improving it won't matter anymore.

Also no Johns
Yeah, I realized soon after I wrote this post I was being kind of whiny.

Now I'm so much better than them that sometimes they don't even wanna play me in 1v1s so I started going to tournaments just last week. Naturally, I got wrecked lol but I didn't do too badly, especially considering I was so nervous I didn't even try wave dashing or L canceling, which probably screwed me over.

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I realized soon after I wrote this post I was being kind of whiny.

Now I'm so much better than them that sometimes they don't even wanna play me in 1v1s so I started going to tournaments just last week. Naturally, I got wrecked lol but I didn't do too badly, especially considering I was so nervous I didn't even try wave dashing or L canceling, which probably screwed me over.
Good for you man. Getting your ass handed to you at tourneys is one of the best ways to improve. From my experience people at tourneys are extmely willing to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom