• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Charizard a possible Olimar counter?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I'm not an Olimar main myself. However, my friend played a rather good Olimar while we were first getting used to the game. After we'd adjusted to the physics and playing style of Brawl, his Olimar had evolved into the super-annoying campy sort who threw Pikmin to control the opponent's movement and used lots of shield grabs and Fsmashes to keep at range.

One thing I can't stand about Olimar is how short and simple his animations are. It is sooooo hard to read his moves because they're all so fast and short, consisting of nothing more than a squirm of the body or a flop of his arm.

I found Olimar posed a threat to most of the characters I played as, but then I randomly chose Pokemon Trainer and found that Charizard did surprisingly well against Olimar.

His rock smash keeps him safe from lots of Pikmin attacks, and his Fsmash seems to go right through them. He has a lot of moves that effect a lot of space around him and he runs really fast so is able to keep up with campy Olimars.

Just wondering, but does anyone on these boards have problems with Charizard, or is it just me?

keeper

Smash Champion
Charizard is easy to combo via a down throw. That and the Red Pikmin destroy a lot of Charizard's stuff.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Charizard is easy to combo via a down throw. That and the Red Pikmin destroy a lot of Charizard's stuff.
How so? Red Pikmin are only really good against fire attacks, and Charizard uses about 3 or 4 of those. Everything else that he has seems to just go right through the Pikmin

Although by combo and down throw, do you mean an actual chain grab or just an attack string?

keeper

Smash Champion
How so? Red Pikmin are only really good against fire attacks, and Charizard uses about 3 or 4 of those. Everything else that he has seems to just go right through the Pikmin

Although by combo and down throw, do you mean an actual chain grab or just an attack string?
Attack string. His weight makes it very easy. Down throw, running Usmash, Jump then either Fair, Uair, or Bair, then you can do one of those again or the pikmin chain.

The Red Pikmin make him easy to camp in some sense. Charizard is easy to camp.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
But what makes the red Pikmin so special? He gets rid of them with a down smash, rock smash or Fsmash quite easy. None of his fire moves except for his up B would really be a move that you'd use to get Pikmin off you, or interrupt ones that are coming out from smash attacks, etc.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Personally, I believe Charizard is one of the easiest match-ups against Olimar. Charizard is such a big character. He's very easy to juggle in the air with Olimar's up-airs. It's also very easy to latch Pikmin onto him. I never, ever have any troubles against Charizard. Actually, I think OLIMAR may be a counter to Charizard.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I disagree. I think there are a few people here who have not played any really good Charizard players to know how deadly Charizard is. I know that he is good but I still say Olimar has a semi dificult time with him because of his forward air. The little fire Gust may seem harmless but when you are off the edge and you get hit, even with the whistle and an extra jump I got pushed just out of range of tethering. So I urge everyone to reconsider these arguments.

Don't just defend one side.

Please that is why forums are fail on teh intertubes.

People need to see both sides of the argument and have experience before they say one thing or another. Don't simply say that Olimar can grab combo the character. It's no different than saying "well Charizard can hog the edge."

I hope that small rant made some sense. And please play a PT player, the match is fun for the most part and informative, since few people play him, I have only one friend who is good with him.

TheLake

Smash Master
Nothing can counter olimar. The guys a freakin beast (look at his down taunt and you'll know **** well what im talking about). However we over at the PT section mostly agree that charizard can rock olimars socks off from time to time. Down tilt and flamthrower **** <_<

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
Oilmar can destroy charizard. Im an oli main and i have yet to find a problem with fighting charizard, he's easy to gimp. And easy to juggle. Squirtle on the other is annoying to fight. Ivy is another challenge too, but charizard is a piece of cake. If anyone is a good charizard player, by all means PM so we can test out this theory.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Don't just defend one side.
I'm not deliberately trying to defend one side. I explicitly stated that these were my personal opinions, and not set-in-stone facts. If people have different opinions, then go right ahead and post them. Isn't that what a forum is for? To share thoughts with one another?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I'm not deliberately trying to defend one side. I explicitly stated that these were my personal opinions, and not set-in-stone facts. If people have different opinions, then go right ahead and post them. Isn't that what a forum is for? To share thoughts with one another?
I'm not disagreeing with you. I saw a few post above you before you and I posted and I felt that some people need to see how both characters play before they cast judgment.

Nothing can counter olimar. The guys a freakin beast (look at his down taunt and you'll know **** well what im talking about). However we over at the PT section mostly agree that charizard can rock olimars socks off from time to time. Down tilt and flamthrower **** <_<
^^^
This stuff is what I'm talking about. Although he pretty much makes light of both sides.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Oh okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

I think out of the three in Pokemon Trainer, Ivysaur is the most challenging to deal with.

TheLake

Smash Master
Whooa didnt mean to offend. Lets have ourselves a PT and Olimar showdown then show we and see how the issue stands *nods* then we can discuss. HOHO420....PM if you wanna dance (;

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
im gonna say that charizard does have some moves that make great counters to some of olimars moves, but overall, charizard is a big character that's kinda slow in the air and that's olimar's specialty.(tho most characters are good against the big ones, i'd say olimar has an easier time as compared to a jigglypuff or metaknight)

As mentioned earlier, charizard's rock smash, and fair pretty much eliminate a couple moves from oli's move set. He can be dangerous in the right hands(wrong hands in my case :)) if u were to compare him to a bowser or an ike.

On the other hand, olimar should be able to juggle the big guy w/out a problem. Charizard's big body should be an easy target to latch pikmen onto, and staying at a range shouldn't be much of a problem.

I think out of the three in Pokemon Trainer, Ivysaur is the most challenging to deal with.
I totally agree with gaz on this one. If i were the pt i'd try and take advantage of ivysaur's ranged moves rather than take a chance w/ Charizard. Ivy's main moves in this battle would be razor leaf that cuts right through the pikmen,his long grabs that put him less at a disadvantage against olimar, and some of his also long range aerials.

In my opinion pt would be better off playing as squirtle or ivysaur.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
I have fought an amazing PT user.

Ivysaur is the hardest for me to take on thanks to that ****ing Razor Leaf.

Squirtle knocks you into the air, and then can just keep you there and kill you, as Olimar does not have the gratest Air game.

Charizard: Once you get a D-throw in you can U-smash, and combo many times with Fairs...

He is really easy to counter for me.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
I've kicked every Charizard's *** that I've come across as Olimar, but maybe it's just the skill level of the other player. I haven't met anyone who's best fighter was the Pokémon Trainer.

Top Bottom