• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl really that 'slow'?

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
Many people have been suggesting that the movement is slower in general compared to melee.

However, i've been watching melee battles for ages and with wave dashing and things that take advantage of the physics flaws make melee more faster than the creators originally intended.

By eliminating glitches (and adding new techniques), maybe brawl presents the speed smash bros should have always been played? so it hasn't really slowed down after all?

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if it was intended or not, wavedashing and all of the other advance techs made the game more deep and interesting. And Brawl has been slowed down due to the overall floatiness of the characters and the lack of some lag reducing moves. I'm sure we will find things to speed up the game though.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Without techs, brawl isn't as slow as people complain about. If you watch good players it's actually pretty well paced.

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
Why does speed decide if the game is good or not? It doesn't make sense. You can still do all of the non-AT things you could do in Melee, its just paced a little slower. I think this is a good thing. It gives you more time to plan ahead, and use those mindgames!

Anything to change the flow of the game from WD > Dodge > WD > Backwards WD > Roll > Hit > WD > WD > *2 minutes later* > Hit > etc. Its so boring.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It does not look different, at least by much, in the videos I see compared to play without advanced techs. Considering I didn't use them in Melee (in fact I didn't even know the existed until the middle of last year) it won't really bother me, and I can work my way up on the new game rather than the old.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
ive noticed the speed but ive seen new strategies being implemented to make up for it.

Like Gimpyfish's videos. Hes more or less a brick wall. Only moving when the opponent leaves a large enough opening for bowser to get in a decent hit with kickback so bowser can recover from the lag.
But when his dmg is high he moves less. He instead plays to avoid getting grab and waits for a chance to shield grab the opponent and punish him from there; tacking on dmg. rinse and repeat.

Fight only when you know you can afford the untimely lag from your attacks.

Also mindgames are starting fresh. A nice example would be lucario. due to hsi very quick dodge recovery time he is able to dodge/roll easiley and counter with a downsmash.

araknophobik

Smash Master
i've played the game (socal is too good)
yes its slower, and the characters are VERY floaty
the removal of dash dancing and such remove any form of mindgame
basically, new mindgames have to be made up. but with the slow pace of the game it limits the possibilities of such

halo 2 released downloadable content to change pistol strength and grenade lengths, im hopeing the game get's patched up to remove automatic sweet spotting (i believe this to be a big factor in smash, because returning to the map shouldn't be this easy and ruins half the fun IMO)

no, melee was not this slow when it was released. even without advance techs, its faster than brawl. if you enjoyed the original smash i guess you'll enjoy this one, but i enjoyed the original smash...until i played melee. so yeah over here in socal we're trying to figure out the competitive standpoints of brawl...and implement them in tourny. so far i haven't experienced any that makes this game that enjoyable competitively. but i guess to play with family/friends/drunk its not bad

D

Deleted member

when you play it first time, you notice that its slower and floatier.But soon you will relaizle how to play it normally and you will begin to play faster.Its still competitive dont worry.

Top Bottom