• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is brawl gonna be the highest rated game ever?

pwning_pit

Smash Rookie
well to start with, i got my copy of Nintendo Power and Nintendo power gave brawl a 10/10! woot! and right now, its got 6, yeah, i mean 6 10/10! so do you think itll go all the way? (i dont mean all 10/10.. i mean, the highest rated game ever) =)

DarthBrittinias

Smash Apprentice
I find it unlikely. Fighting games (even unconventional ones like Smash) are usually very underrated by the media and critics. For some reason gaming journalists are much harder on fighting games and never seem to review them with the criteria that they should.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Isn't Metroid Prime the official highest rated game ever at 9.8? I am not sure about that at all, but I saw it somewhere.

Edit: Guess not. Apparently it's number 4 with 9.6 [/edit]

You can't really take the six perfect scores and compare them to anything because they are just that: six scores. There will be an awful lot more scores from popular magazines and sites that could have a strong influence on the overall rating. It seems IGN is going to mark some points off on SSE, and maybe a few other areas of the game, and if Gamespot gives Brawl a 10/10 then I don't know what I'd do... considering they don't even give games they are fanboys of 10/10 typically.

In the end though, I do think it will get generally high ratings. Nothing totally astounding though.

pwning_pit

Smash Rookie
oh, fyi guys, Legend of Zelda: Ocarin of Time is the highest rated game with 9.8 =)

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Though I don't think it'll be the highest rated game ever, i do think it'll average over 9.5 with most reviewers.

Game reviewers play alot of games, so the sense of nostalgia and uniting of franchises appeals to them just as much as you and me.

I heard Melee got around 9.4, and as brawl is an improvement upon the previous title, thats why i expect a higher score.

Five

Smash Rookie
There's no way that Brawl is going to be the highest rated game ever. It's a fighting game, and can't be appreciated by as many people as Ocarina of Time can.

But i'm still going to be reading the opinion of the IGN reviewer, everyone has their own point of view.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
Over all consoles the highest rated game of all time was
1. 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3' On PS2
2. 'Crono Cross' on Playstation
3. 'Soul Calibre' on DreamCast
4. 'Zelda - Ocarina of Time' Nintendo64

They all got perfect scores, and highest ratings.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
finalark get off the internet NOW!

But yea most competent games start out with perfect scores, then they all get lower and lower as time goes on.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Brawl is not a game that will appeal to enough gamers to get a perfect score from everyone.
I can see game reviewers nitpicking about the most trivial details and saying "it's just like Melee" or some other bs.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
I'm more than certain Brawl will be rated higher than Melee, but highest rated game of all time? Not too sure about that, while Brawl is overflowing with that trademark Nintendo magic wherever you look, it's still a game that won't directly appeal to everyone, especially since it's a fighter of sorts. There is nothing that can be done about that, though.

It would be quite an achievement to get perfect scores all around, since critics are meant to be critics, and there will always be something they can complain about... if they want to, that is. So you know, you'd better hope everyone reviewing Brawl is in a good mood, huh? :p

pirkid

Smash Lord
The only reason is because Smash is a kind of game that can't be enjoyed by EVERYONE.

Sure, we all know that Brawl is most epic kick-arse cobell game evar, but game reviers don't think like that.

We're fanboys (and girls). They're not. They look at it from a point of view that's completly different.

:034:

Smash Hero
Ocarina of Time is the most overrated highest rated game to date.

Followed shortly after by Final Fantasy VII.
Quoted for truth. ULTIMATE truth.

No, Brawl will not get perfect. If Super Mario Galaxy can't, I honestly don't know what can.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
1Up will give it a 7/10, then be hypocrites and say how it does nothing new for the series, unlike the ZOMG REVOLTUIONARY HALO 3! Which they compare EVERY GAME EVER MADE to.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
yeeeeeeeeeeeeees???

The best games rated are...

Super mario galazy > OcarinaoTime > FF7

So...

SSBB > All others

^_^

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I think that IGN and GameSpot and others probably will not give it a high score.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
After IGN's podcast I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it 8, solely because the story mode wasn't great.

They clearly forget what makes Brawl a Smash Bros game anyway.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i think its gonna take my top spot as best game ever over final fantasy vii. the devs really went above and beyond for this game with all the game modes, story, and content

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Me thinks that the English review sites will give Brawl okay to slightly high scores. Why?

"Too much of the same game..."
"Fighting feels slower..."
"General complaining about characters/stages/music or SOMETHING..."
"Biased opinions, and nothing brutally honest..."

What? I'm serious. :urg:

Hopefully Destructoid will give good reviews. Metacritic will probably show how right I am though.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Me thinks that the English review sites will give Brawl okay to slightly high scores. Why?

"Not Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, or Gears of War, or Mario Galaxy, or Ocarina of Time"

Hopefully Destructoid will give good reviews. Metacritic will probably show how right I am though.
Fixed

10charizard

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Oh right.

"Not Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, or Gears of War, or Mario Galaxy, or Ocarina of Time"
"Final Fantasy VII is the first Final Fantasy game, what? There were FFs I -> VI too? What the HELL are you talking about?! They probably SUCK"

There, properly fixed now.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
It won't be the highest rated game ever because:

1. the Super Smash Bros. series already is an overrated series.
2. this game ISN'T the best game, period.
3. there are always ****tards (*cough*gamespot*cough*) who give this game a lower score because they don't "get" the game.

Mama

Smash Ace
Fixed

10charizard
Lol well I thought Assassin's Creed deserved every high score. I loved the game.

I think Brawl may get universally high scores but I dunno about best ever. But it does seem possible. Its very noob friendly and the SSE is probably enough to keep it from getting anything less than a 9 or 9.5 imo. We'll see though. Ratings don't really matter to me anyway.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Mario Galaxy is the highest rated game of all time. It beat OOT after a 10 year reign.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Its Legend of Zelda, idiot.

Brawl won't be the highest, but it will certainly have a high score, I mean comon. Custom Stages, Snake, Online... Not a single Beat'em up has ever offered that.

I reckon it'll get around 9.5-9.9 by most NON-BIAST critics. Famitsu is Japanese, so obviously their going to suck Brawl's ****, whilst Nintendo Magazine is official, so its only right they give it a 10/10 if they wanna stay in a job.

Most first time Smashers will give it a high rating, only critising the non-communicative online play.
Whilst Veteran Smashers will give it a high rating, only critising the clones, mainly Fox X3.

Overall, it will be a high rated game, but won't exactly surpass Halo 3, media wise, or surpass Zelda in terms of epicness.

Top Bottom