• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is brawl going to be slower?

GuyverProxy

Smash Rookie
The first game is slow as hell compared to Melee. I would assume Brawl would be the midpoint.

Actually lightning melee does happen to help your skills catch up if you're lacking basic control of character movement and mindgames compared to your friends.

But I know where you're coming from hell I used to get pissed at CPU's for their retardedly perfect reactions and my inability to keep up with simple **** they do all the time like jabs. You might not think melee is fast as **** already if you decided to get used to lightning for a month and afterwards decided to go back to regular. Once you get used to melee again it's **** enjoyable especially when you're tipping fox's recoveries with more success then the pros you watch on youtube. It's actually weird to see pros like ken still throwing out an attempted edgegaurd attack much later then it should have been, as if their actions are more based on memory than actual reflexes.

Oh ya, videos on youtube are usually much faster then actual gameplay. It's a youtube/quality thing 'cause I have some matches on my computer in wmv format and the difference in speeds is clearly discernable when compared to the same matches on youtube.

wow man, you have no idea what you are talking about.
ken would more then tipper your friends recoveries. wow.
its different when you are playing pros who can 0-death you if you dont DI.
Forward just recently came by my house and we played for about a good 4 hours.
If you dont DI, he will 0-death you. Same with pros like Ken and M2K. I hear if M2ks marth grabs you, you will die. When you play people like this, you need something called mind games...

shazbot

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the speed won't depend all that heavily on how the game developers intend to make it. the reason why SSBM was so much faster than the first one is the discovery of all the advanced techniques, which is more or less another name for useful glitches. Nintendo didn't plan on making melee at the breakneck pace that the pros have set it at from mastery of the little bugs in the game. IF Sakurai says the speed will be moderated, that could mean that they see the advanced techniques as bugs and intend on taking them out. I think that the speed of the game will mostly be a combination of the advanced techniques left in the game along with the new ones found in Brawl.

PS if it slows down online, i'd rather play 2 player with my friends

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Guys relax! The trailers we saw these past months are nothing compared with the real deal! I bet when Brawl comes out it will be just as fast paced as melee if not EVEN faster! In trailers they want us to see how things and new moves are done and stuff like that! Thousands of fans are waiting for Brawl to come out, do you actually believe its gonna disappoint us instead of making us feel proud about Nintendo?

Mosk

Smash Cadet
wow man, you have no idea what you are talking about.
ken would more then tipper your friends recoveries. wow.
its different when you are playing pros who can 0-death you if you dont DI.
Forward just recently came by my house and we played for about a good 4 hours.
If you dont DI, he will 0-death you. Same with pros like Ken and M2K. I hear if M2ks marth grabs you, you will die. When you play people like this, you need something called mind games...
Starting to notice all the stuck-upness around these boards, I've seen more, but still, this **** isn't cool.

Go to 1:22 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_ca1yOD0o
M2K had choice A: shoot right above the ledge and into Ken or B: angle the recovery for a ledgegrab. Ken crouches to make M2K opt for choice B and plans to hit with the coming f-smash.
M2K whiffed the plan and went for choice A.
At 1:36 there's another jumbled mess for Ken as he waits for M2K to choose his position for a recovery move. The sickness that M2K is quickly chooses the recovery that leaves Ken little flexibility for edgegaurd options.

I'm aware of all the little details that happens in these recorded professional matches, so you can trust that I know when a situation comes and there is little need for 'mindgames' and all the player needed was a keen eye and ready fingers.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
ok. I live in NB Canada, and SSBB will have online play...
The frame-rate could be 2 FRAMES a SECOND and it would still rock for me! lol

but seriously, If they slow down the speed for whatever reason, I doubt that it'll affect the quality of the game. Sure it might take a little getting used to, but it's not just an extension of melee, it's a new game; slightly different gameplay is to be expected.

Furthermore, I don't think we can accurately judge the speed of gameplay from the trailers, even if they do have scenes of "actual gameplay." so you never know, the speed could end up being very close if not the same as melee.

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
Aw, if they slow down Brawl then I lose all of my skill cause my main advantage is that I have 'mastered' all of the advanced techs and stuff. But if the games slower than everybodys going to be as good as I am... Then I'll have to find other ways to win. Oh well, hopefully they'll have other stuff that'll require fast fingers.

Top Bottom