• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is brawl going to be slower?

fearednerd

Smash Cadet
i heard that brawl will be at slower speed than melee. i was wondering if this is a rumor or is the speeds of the characters going to be normalize or slower. i really hope they keep it the same :dizzy:

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Judging by the trailers, it's slower, but closer to Melee's speed than 64's.

Pima

Smash Journeyman
It can't be confirmed, but I think it'll be just a tad bit slower, based on the trailers

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The trailers tell us nothing really about the speed of the game, because theyre designed to show off the flashier aspects of the game, but not real gameplay.

Look at super smash melee's trailer, it looks slower than a fat guy climbing stairs, then watch ken vs Pc chris in the mlg finals, its like 10 x or more faster.

Melee has a really good pace, I don't see why they felt inclined to change it, but from what I saw in the trailers it doesn't look too slow, and I'm sure we'll all be able to speed up our game with whatever techniques we'll have.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, the trailers arent being played at pro level. I will bet that if a player from here mastered the game as it is in the trailer and played it would be going a whole lot faster.

I personally think the slower bit wont be as real as people think it will be...

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I personally think the slower bit wont be as real as people think it will be...
I agree, judging from the trailer compared to melee's trailer, even if it is slower than melee it will still be a fast paced game... looks fast paced in the trailer (how fast the moves happen)

The only thing im worried about is the increased hit lag.. I just hope it doesn't overpower drill attacks like in classic... I hope with the increased hitlag there will still be ways to escape drill attacks.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I was actually worried a bit about that too at first, but when people started showing the old Melee trailers which showcased a lot of freeze frames, I was relieved.

Since Melee has nowhere near that much hitlag, I think maybe Sakurai put those in the trailers again to make the attacks look more flashy and powerful... It sure makes some of the combos used in those trailers (Peach's dair into side B lol) more impressive than they really are...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It WILL be slower.

1. Online play benefits immensely from it. Do you think the insanely fast command issuing of two players playing as Marth and Fox would work over a broadband connection from across the world?

2. Sakurai mentioned that he thought Melee strayed too much from the original, especially in terms of how approachable it was. Nintendo just sold 2-3 million Wiis to non-gamers. While I doubt they'd make SSBB into a non-game, I could see them changing the pacing a bit so it doesn't require insane amounts of reflex to compete in the game.

I'm not saying that SSBB won't be deep enough to appeal to expert players, just that the insane reflexes we have now likely won't be as big of a part of the game as they were in Melee (of which they were 100%).

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Honestly, if all the advanced techniques are still there and it's just a tad slower, I might be happier, I would possibly be able to go back to Fox, who I mained until I learned about techs and saw how hard it would be to learn that. I didn't want to spend a few hours learning to shorthop so hopefully now i'll have a few more frames :/ .

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
I agree that any slowdown in the pace of Brawl will be a result of the online factor. The DS game Jump Super Stars, which has a very similar play style to smash, was a very fast paced game. The sequal, Jump Ultimate Stars, had online play. The pace was slowed down noticably. This was to help prevent lag. In the end JUS was a much more balanced game overall. I'm not too worried about Brawl slowing down. It may be weird at first, as it was with JUS, but once you get used to it there's really no problem. And you'll appreciate the online play that will be available.

taylorb9113

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't like it to slow-down, but I am sure (hoping) it will be a decent game anyway. It would probably take a lot of getting used too, though. As Jump mentioned, it woud probably help prevent some online lag.
Still, I like the speed the way it is now :D

Superstar

Smash Champion
It WILL be slower.

1. Online play benefits immensely from it. Do you think the insanely fast command issuing of two players playing as Marth and Fox would work over a broadband connection from across the world?
Sounds true, also, I think they will also change the FPS [frames per second] for online as well, maybe from 60 to 30. Of course, that's not that bad, 1 frame lag [its the lag from the connection I am afraid about].

Hopefully, they will learn from PBR and MKDS, and make Brawl have as little lag and be as fun online as possible. :)

Oh, and they said moderated, means some slower, some faster. I think the stuff that are more of a hassle online will be slowed down, from what you said. Attack speed does not seem like it will lag TOO much, so maybe they kept it the same.

Dylan_Tnga said:
The only thing im worried about is the increased hit lag.. I just hope it doesn't overpower drill attacks like in classic... I hope with the increased hitlag there will still be ways to escape drill attacks.
Oh, Dylan, I hope they do improve drill attacks, but not to the degree of classic. Mario's tornado is virtually useless in Melee, only barely for recovery.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... If this game has to start making concessions just to go online, then I hope it doesn't. I hope the game stays the same overall speed, or even gets a little faster. Slowing down the game would only serve to narrow the gap between the noob and the pro, and anything that does that is a bad idea.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
There was always a way to escape drills... D.I.

I hope they do change the way drills and multi-hit attacks work so that they combo properly like in SSB. The only drill that worked in SSBM was fox's and it was only half decent. :/

By the looks of the trailer it seems that they may be improving the way multi-hit attacks work (from mario's tornado).

Razgriz, SSB was basically a lot slower than melee, but there is still a HUGE gap between noobs and pros. Look how Isai (Malva) plays compared to..... well anybody else in the world.

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
theres no way to till until u play it. Look at the trailers. Then again when i saw trailers for Melee, i didnt expect it to be as fast as it was. So maybe the trailers just look a little slower

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
The way it is now is fine, but slowing it down to somewhere between Melees and N64 speed won't bother me at all, at first I thought Melee was really fast the first time I played it, but after a while I got used to it, so I'm sure I'll do the same to brawl, besides it won't be much slower, a little maby but definitly not alot.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
There's trailers, you know, if you want to watch them.

There's a few seconds of real gameplay every once in a while. It might be a tad slower-- because it's a whole new game-- but I highly doubt it'll make you break out into primal rage.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I was actually just watchin the trailer for the heck of it. It seems to be slower to a point, the combos heavier too. But (idk if anyone saw this) the characters seem a lot lighter. o.0 I noticed theres no shields too. (this has prolly been said a million times, I dont come here often so stfu)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well these are just trailers, sure you can't expect uber tactics and shffling... The trailers of Melee where nothing special either, noone would think it would become the game it is nowadays so really... We just have to wait and see. I myself am pretty excited for this "more freedom in aerial combat" so I'm hoping for the best.

Sure a Melee 2 would be great, but I'd be more satisfied with a completely diffrent game. Makes it more fun to master it don't you think? ;)

SWORDMASTER66

Smash Cadet
As some people already mentioned, Brawl might be slowing down to reduce lag online, but I liked how fast Melee was compared to the original it made the game more fun to play for me. But then I didn't like how drills and multi-hit attacks didn't really help because you landed 2 out of 5 or 6 hits, the only multi-hit moves I found useful were Kirby's drill, Fox's drill, Peach's d-smash, and Yoshi's d-air. So i'm glad they are reinforcing multi-hit combos.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd prefer Brawl to be slower because then my friends who aren't as avid gamers as I am would be more inclined to play it with me.

We used to play SSB all the time, but SSBM just moves too quickly and they wind up never wanting to play it because they know I'll just stomp them at it.

Another reason why I want online play so badly.

Zenkusa

Smash Rookie
Well, even if they do slow it down, I don't think they'd do it so much as to ruin the game. According to Sakurai, his team has played huge amounts of SSBM ... so I think we can assume that they know what they're doing.

(but I still don't like it--the game's speed is fine as it is)

Mosk

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping the speed can be changed in the same menu as the rest of the rules. To me the current speed is actually just a little to slow, 1.2x speed of melees default would be perfect.

Banks

Smash Hero
are you guys ********, melee is fast as **** as it is. as for brawl there is no way to know unless you live next door to Hal lab. go play lightning melee tho, im sure itll help your skillz pro playaz

Mosk

Smash Cadet
are you guys ********, melee is fast as **** as it is. as for brawl there is no way to know unless you live next door to Hal lab. go play lightning melee tho, im sure itll help your skillz pro playaz
Actually lightning melee does happen to help your skills catch up if you're lacking basic control of character movement and mindgames compared to your friends.

But I know where you're coming from hell I used to get pissed at CPU's for their retardedly perfect reactions and my inability to keep up with simple **** they do all the time like jabs. You might not think melee is fast as **** already if you decided to get used to lightning for a month and afterwards decided to go back to regular. Once you get used to melee again it's **** enjoyable especially when you're tipping fox's recoveries with more success then the pros you watch on youtube. It's actually weird to see pros like ken still throwing out an attempted edgegaurd attack much later then it should have been, as if their actions are more based on memory than actual reflexes.

Oh ya, videos on youtube are usually much faster then actual gameplay. It's a youtube/quality thing 'cause I have some matches on my computer in wmv format and the difference in speeds is clearly discernable when compared to the same matches on youtube.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Actually lightning melee does happen to help your skills catch up if you're lacking basic control of character movement and mindgames compared to your friends.

But I know where you're coming from hell I used to get pissed at CPU's for their retardedly perfect reactions and my inability to keep up with simple **** they do all the time like jabs. You might not think melee is fast as **** already if you decided to get used to lightning for a month and afterwards decided to go back to regular. Once you get used to melee again it's **** enjoyable especially when you're tipping fox's recoveries with more success then the pros you watch on youtube. It's actually weird to see pros like ken still throwing out an attempted edgegaurd attack much later then it should have been, as if their actions are more based on memory than actual reflexes.

Oh ya, videos on youtube are usually much faster then actual gameplay. It's a youtube/quality thing 'cause I have some matches on my computer in wmv format and the difference in speeds is clearly discernable when compared to the same matches on youtube.
I haven't ever seen a faster-than-normal vid in youtube, and I have watched hundreds, if not thousands of pro vids. And it's not memory or reflexes, it's mindgames.

GuyverProxy

Smash Rookie
It seems like it'll be slower due to online play capabilities, but I've also heard they're going to fix the glicthes from melee. I've been told that wave dashing might be taken out. It doesn't really bug me b/c I don't use it much depending who I play, but it would turn alot of the experts off.

Top Bottom