• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is brawl closer to ssb64 or melee?

goldfinger

Smash Rookie
I'm legitimately curious. See, I played smash bro's 64 for a long, long time. When melee came out, I basically rejected it for a few key reasons.

1. Charge-up smash attacks. Like, I want my smashes to come right now. Not .5 seconds from now, ya know? Also, it seemed too much of a way to pigeonhole somoene on the edge.
2. General feel. Somehow, melee came off as less responsive, but seizure inducingly fast. It felt like the speed on the vertical was turned way up, and the horizontal was turned way down.
3. New grab system. Not a big fan of people jumping out of my throws before they are through, and I am staunchly against the crappy dashing grab that was instituted. Like, the recoil involved with it was idiotic. I preferred in 64, where you can scream up to someone and then grab them, coming to a dead stop.

There is actually alot more, but I'll stop at that. Now, I have decided either way to pack up my complaints and pick up brawl, even if it is a melee clone with new charecters, but I am kind of curious, what should I expect? Is it completely different, or is it similar to one or the other?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
1. you werent forced to charge smash attacks, use the c-stick
2. basically you didn't feel like practicing to get comfortable with the new speed of the game. its not a problem to most people
3. we learned a tech called jump cancelled grabs that makes dash grabs have the same lag as standing grabs.

as for brawl, its no more like one than the other. it has simliarities with both, but its its own game.

B J

Smash Cadet
From what ive seen so far, i would say it is a lot more like melee. The only resemblance i see between Brawl and 64 is the "slow down".

180OP

Smash Journeyman
1. you dont have to charge it up if you dont want to.
2. you get used to the speed after like 5 games. im not sure about less responsiveness...never occured to me. you might have ****ty controllers.
3. what?

brawl is more like ssb64 physics wise. but there are elements of Melee still in it. Like charge up smash attacks and now chargeable B attacks which you dont have to charge up if you dont want to.

grab animations look similar as well.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
From what ive seen so far, i would say it is a lot more like melee. The only resemblance i see between Brawl and 64 is the "slow down".
similarity to Melee:
charged smash attacks
some character play in a similar way, like marth or peach or kirby

similarity to 64:
no wavedashing
slower pace than melee

disimilarity to both:

edgeguarding is difficult
no lag cancelling
tripping
momentum airdoge
swimming
etc

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Brawl is the third game...not a remake

64 was a lot different then Melee (same concept but different game play)

goldfinger

Smash Rookie
Brawl is deffinetly more like melee.

Sorry to everyone who only plays 64 because they are stuck in the past.
*raises hand*

I'm glad to hear that the physics are more like 64. Also glad to hear about that edgeguarding routine being more difficult. I do legitimately think that 64 was a better game. The timing was better to me. Also I feel as if they nerfed kirby. That dashing fireball attack of his was the ****s, god forbid I could preform it without going screaming off of the edge.

I could boil my reasoning for enjoying smash brothers 64 to this. It felt like it was a simpler game on the surface, but more depth was available. 64 was a set of general moves which had a bazillion permutations. melee seemed more constrictive, despite having more. It was more shallow, yet more complicated somehow.

But what it moreso boils down to is that I played smash brothers against one other person in the end, and both him and I had gotten so rediculously good at 64 that starting all over with melee was simply not an option. smash brothers 64 remained the competitive mainstay. I don't care anymore, however, as my 64 controllers are now basically trash and brawl is a must have for me regardless.

Top Bottom