• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is below Wolf really a weakness?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Well, it'll always be sort of a "weak spot" but for the most part, Wolf's underside is kind of exposed, he doesn't really have much in the way of hitboxes below him, short of shine, but, like an airdodge, that can be baited and punished.

Now here's the good stuff, as I was watching Candy's awesome Wolf, I noticed he kept on doing the DJ Bair, and he didn't seem to be punished too badly, and what Candy is playing at is a VERY high level of play, not the highest, but certainly way up there. And as I wondered why he wasn't getting punished, be it from lack of Wolf experience in the EC, or something else, I noticed that after he double jumped... he wove back away from his opponent. And then it occurred to me that only like 4 of the cast can actually outpace Wolf in the air (In terms of mobility) 3 of Which you hardly see in tourneys (Jiggz, CF, and Yoshi) And with that... is Wolf's underside a weakness that can be covered up? It would make double jumping a lot less dangerous, and it can actually open up some doors for myself, as I almost never double jump X_X

I dunno, just a thought, if you've already figured this out, too bad.

Discuss.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i've noticed that too then I incorperated it in my metagame but I think its because of the lack of Wolf matchup knowledge.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
If you DJ Bair and DI away, most characters can't pursue you in the air, but they can on the ground. Run and try get underneath/next to you, as you come down.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
some characters have moves that can hit him from below too fast to DI away: GnWs or MArths UpB for example. Idk maybe it isn't so dangerous....

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah but the double jump leaves his downside open. Can he move away fast enough? Certainly on slower characters but on some...I have my doubts

castorpollux

Smash Champion
well actually, i'm not a fan of candy wasting his double jump right away. Usually you can achieve around the same height using a full hop. The only time you're ever realyl gonna get hit from below is when your opponent predicts where you're gonna be when you do your wolf wall. Even then, there's usually enough time for you to airdodge when you see your opponent move under you. Also, if the double jump isnt wasted, you can also double jump with wolf to avoid any attack from below as well

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Shine WILL eat through the MAJORITY of attacks that could possibly come your way under you. However, this gets predictable, and the opponent starts to shield and punish your shine. =) In which case you could probably land and grab them. But keep in mind only 4 characters can outpace Wolf in the air, and if they dash to be under you... then you move the other way? Idk, mindgamez?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
if they dash under you, airdodge (preferrably behind them) while holding A. This will initiate the AAA combo the first frame possible which is among the fastest moves in the game

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Below wolf definately isnt a strength. It isnt THAT bad of a weakness but its pretty bad. If someones below you all you can do really is shine or try to airdodge them. A well timed D-air COULD work but it would be hard to pull off against someone who can see it coming.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
What Sess said. Shine helps out a lot, your aerial mobility does too, along with dair having a decent sized hitbox, but shine gets predictable (so mix it up with airdodges) and dair is slow. There aren't that many that can catch up to you if you DI away after a well spaced attack, just mix up your descent with airdodges and shine, dair if the time is right. Overall it's not too bad, but still wolf's weakest spot in the air.

Top Bottom