• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else sad that 3D doesn't have his back kick?

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but this one is one of my most used killing moves, and fair is now a similar spacing tool as well as the Gordo's so I'm ok with the change.

Though I'll miss the cute Waddle Dee's walking around on stage :(

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
The lack of the back kick turned me off D3 off the bat this game, but how can you stay away from that personality... I have long forgotten with Nair fast falls and the new back swing does offer an interesting option and when you connect it, it hits like a truck.

Was sad, but that doesn't last long when you're playing one of the most feel good characters in the line up and his new options do him fine.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Was sad, but that doesn't last long when you're playing one of the most feel good characters in the line up and his new options do him fine.
Exactly, that crouch pose is reason enough for me to want to keep playing him, and that new dtilt... easily the best animation in the game, and a pretty nice move on top of that!

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Exactly, that crouch pose is reason enough for me to want to keep playing him, and that new dtilt... easily the best animation in the game, and a pretty nice move on top of that!
The crouch is legendary. It's not fair that a character can push a direction and trump every taunt in the game. OP. I took so many mid game naps and stretches in brawl, floating around and worrying about all these silly dudes trying to knock you out... just chasing the pink menace was bad enough for poor ol D in his own games.

When I saw the new Dtilt making use of the amazing pose I lost it.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I just sorta wish he had a lingering hitbox to replace it. New bair is also pretty amazing in its own right, but if we could run out and hold our fair or something in place for a second longer with a nice lingering, disjointed hit that'd be swell.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Well, every new move he has is so good that I managed to be ok with the lack of his wall of pain. And I'm certain the new Bair will be more useable with C-sticks.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, every new move he has is so good that I managed to be ok with the lack of his wall of pain. And I'm certain the new Bair will be more useable with C-sticks.
The timing is a lot more strict with bair, though, and it doesn't come out very fast.
That's a big thing that really turned me off about this game -- lots of characters don't seem to have fast enough aerials to help combat faster characters, and there's a lot of endlag where I don't feel it's necessary.
That being said, fastfall nair on people who miss an intercept is pretty nice, but my freaking goodness the hitstun distribution is stupid beyond belief; I'd love to chain more of my moves and I attempt to work around the limitations, but the tiniest things snap me out of moves that I thought would have a reasonable amount of priority.

Ranting aside, gordo from above is surprisingly good when you figure out the angle, and if your opponent doesn't have good aerial options, you can chain a nair after the fair (provided they vector high enough).
His new dair is very awkward because of how ridiculously specific the hitboxes are coupled with it taking forever to come out, but I won't deny it's useful and very surprising, especially once you get familiar with the timing and can land it during a spur-of-the-moment fastfall.
His aerials can still poke through the stage from beneath, so there's also that.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I'm slowly growing more frustrated with ddd as I play higher and higher tier characters. I'm slowly realizing how many moves I have to completely avoid and use only as a surprise. Still at a 70% win ratio overall but it's been slowly dropping week to week as I move up the chain. In for glory. Only got 800 matches under my belt but really feeling those extra frame as time goes.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm slowly growing more frustrated with ddd as I play higher and higher tier characters. I'm slowly realizing how many moves I have to completely avoid and use only as a surprise. Still at a 70% win ratio overall but it's been slowly dropping week to week as I move up the chain. In for glory. Only got 800 matches under my belt but really feeling those extra frame as time goes.
I fought a Villager tonight.
Even though he actually told me that I was the better player, it was clear that I had to put up a ridiculous fight to get past his fair wall, not to mention almost everything Villager has is powerful or comes out quickly.
I'm not really sure there's a valid excuse for Dedede to have a sourspot on his usmash when VIllager's utilt KOs with no problem, but that's enough griping about that.

I'm sticking with him because he's a lot of fun and I like him just a little bit more than Kirby, but man, some of the changes they made to characters really don't make sense; for this to be a midground between Brawl and Melee, there are a lot of characters with poor mobility and slow/weak moves.
Some people are putting Dedede in high tier, and while I can see that, hardly anything that I do is a true guaranteed combo.
He has the potential to 0-60 someone, but there really isn't a flowchart for that because anybody can just jump away and reset the neutral, and I think that's where a lot of people struggle.
The sooner they figure out that he's slow and thrives on people trying to play up close and beat out his midrange options, the sooner people will be less surprised and better able to combat him.
Pretty much anyone can effectively fight him, it's all a matter of getting past the player.

Top Bottom