• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else really disappointed by Toon Link's reveal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I personally wish that they gave this thing the boot, so now all I can do is hope he stays out of my way. Then again, he is another target for me to practice on with Falchion.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I suppose I shouldn't be that hard on him, he does have a fan base after all. I just really hope he'll be completely different than Link in SSB4.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A little since two playable links doesn't really sit right with me.

Having said that, Wind Waker is by far my favourite and most memorable legend of zelda experience... so if the second link has to exist I'm glad it's toon link.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty disappointed with brawl's selection of zelda characters and am with the LoZ reveals for SSB4 so far (apart from link who looks awesome). In brawl we had 2 original characters (3 if you include sheik) and 2 clone characters (cpt. falcon clone and link clone). For one of nintendo's biggest franchises, I thought this was really disappointing seen as most other series seemed to make a step up in to brawl from melee and the zelda series just took a side-step or even a step-down if you consider how slow 3 of the characters (Link, zelda & ganondorf) were made to be in brawl. The zelda series has so much potential for cool, unique characters like ghirahim, impa, skull kid, vaati and midna (not tingle, tingle sucks) and instead Sakurai just chooses to chug out boring clones each time. If toon link was made a unique character, I wouldn't mind so much (ie. he was given his own completely unique moveset) given the significance of the toon universe in LoZ but given how his screenshots look, that seems unlikely. As far as I'm concerned, stages, items and potentially an assist trophy are enough to represent the toon LoZ universe rather than having clone characters. I'd hate to have ANOTHER LoZ clone in 'toon zelda' or a recloned ganondorf to add insult to what has already been a pretty disappointing cast of zelda characters so far. Having Tetra as a transformation would at least be a little bit unique but I personally think other LoZ characters would be much more interesting than Tetra. Basically, with the exception of Luigi, who's basically iconic to Nintendo, I think that a smash bros game with unique characters instead of clone characters would be a better smash bros game.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Nup. Not at all. He was my secondary in brawl (main is wolf) so I Definetly didn't want him to go.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I was pretty disappointed with brawl's selection of zelda characters and am with the LoZ reveals for SSB4 so far (apart from link who looks awesome). In brawl we had 2 original characters (3 if you include sheik) and 2 clone characters (cpt. falcon clone and link clone). For one of nintendo's biggest franchises, I thought this was really disappointing seen as most other series seemed to make a step up in to brawl from melee and the zelda series just took a side-step or even a step-down if you consider how slow 3 of the characters (Link, zelda & ganondorf) were made to be in brawl. The zelda series has so much potential for cool, unique characters like ghirahim, impa, skull kid, vaati and midna (not tingle, tingle sucks) and instead Sakurai just chooses to chug out boring clones each time. If toon link was made a unique character, I wouldn't mind so much (ie. he was given his own completely unique moveset) given the significance of the toon universe in LoZ but given how his screenshots look, that seems unlikely. As far as I'm concerned, stages, items and potentially an assist trophy are enough to represent the toon LoZ universe rather than having clone characters. I'd hate to have ANOTHER LoZ clone in 'toon zelda' or a recloned ganondorf to add insult to what has already been a pretty disappointing cast of zelda characters so far. Having Tetra as a transformation would at least be a little bit unique but I personally think other LoZ characters would be much more interesting than Tetra. Basically, with the exception of Luigi, who's basically iconic to Nintendo, I think that a smash bros game with unique characters instead of clone characters would be a better smash bros game.
People who say Luigi's a clone have never played as him or Mario. But I agree with everything else.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm still disapointed.

How the hell is THAT character being reveled BEFORE Yoshi?
What are you planing Sakurai?

Seriously now,I believe Toon Link deserves a spot on SSB4(but he didn't and don't deserve to be revealed before Yoshi,that's just doesn't make sense.)
Just wait till yarn yoshi/yoshi's new island are released

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
For me, having these two playable Links doesn't really bother me as, say, having both OoT Link and OoT Young Link, who are the same person, or Mario and Dr. Mario. These two Links are actually two separate people, being different reincarnations of the Hero of Time separated by centuries in Hyrule's history, as well as existing along different timelines.

If anything, I'm a little more disappointed Toon Link hasn't been differentiated more from Link. I mean, just giving TL something as simple as the Deku Leaf to give his jump a glide would solidify their differences, and I'd appreciate another Wind Waker nod.

Even then, I'm nit picking. The two different Links are still quite different in play styles, and have plenty of different moves to differentiate them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree whole heartedly, OP. We don't have two Marios in Brawl, or so far in SSB4, and he has far more versions than Link, and a game count that must be quadruple Zelda and then some.

Nearly all arguments I see for his inclusion are flawed; certainly if Toon Link had not been added, the thought would not be on very many minds. This of course does not mean he is not then retrospectively seen in a positive light, but I think it absurd for so many to say that he is a given, bearing in mind... no, he definitely was not seen to be such.

As far as this being his most prominent style.... what? I believe he was most prominently displayed in a limited pixel count.

I guess when they add in Paper Mario I will find him more justified. Yet even then him having the same move pool when Link has many options only counters the argument of him being added representation, because if he is supposed to represent another side of Link, it is certainly flawed in this sense by the redundant moves. The fact that he is quicker and more swift is pretty irrelevant to the games as well, he certainly is not faster as a Toon. Sure, many character changes are not based on the characters in game.... but really, this all points to the fact that he is a lazy clone who represents absolutely nothing new in the Zelda franchise except a spiffy new hair-do.

Last edited:

DimpsyVS

Smash Apprentice
I was kinda pissed when Sakurai revealed that Toon Link was returning, but we'll have to see how he plays in the final game... if he's not just a stupid clone like Sakurai promised wouldn't be a thing...

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Definetly not! He was my main in brawl and he was way better than Link (which is why I ended up choosing him and we all know how broken brawl was *cough*). Anyway I may main someone else this time though because there is some amazing variety with these new characters!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I don't see why anybody should be disappointed whenever a returning veteran is revealed. If you don't particularly care for that character, you could at least be happy for the fans who are glad to see them return. I was very happy when I saw Toon Link returning because he's my favorite character to play as. When I saw Ike revealed not too long ago, I was excited to let my friend know because he loves playing as that character, even if I don't.

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
but he is a clone like lucas and ness
Pretty bad comparison considering Mario doesn't have the spin jump(anymore) or the missile while Ness and Lucas have the same concept on all of their specials , but back on topic Toon Link was my secondary in Brawl so I'm glad to see him return , even if he doesn't use the Deku Leaf or Skull Hammer

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah it's not Toon Link himself, it's the fact that he's still a clone.

And no, he's not a clone like Lucas and Ness. Those two have way more differences between them than Link and Toon Link have. In fact, Link and Toon Link are the most similar out of all the "clones".

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For me, it upsets me that Toon Link seemed to be included more as 'wind waker link' rather than another addition as a Link, just a temporal passing and not even of a new game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heh, it's probably a bit selfish to say but I'm kinda happy that there are more and bigger clones confirmed now. Toon Link fans now no longer need to get this headache of how he's the "cloniest of clones" and solely take all the hate for everything and whatnot, and thanks to some of the changes they've made to both him and Link he's more or less a semi-clone now alongside Ganondorf and Falco.

Anyway, will be locking this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom