• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else interested in pay to download costume and map DLC?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Characters? Definitely. Stages? Probably. Costumes, songs, etc.? Not unless it's packaged with the aforementioned.

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
This would be pretty great if Wii U got maybe a Protoman skin for Megaman and some 3ds stages like Corneria.
That would be cool if they made a "dixie kong" skin for diddy like they have a female skin for robin.

FistOfSyn

Smash Rookie
I would def. pay for maps and new characters (a map pack with maps from the 3ds version would be cool) and the skins should be included with the packs ( like Aninymouse said)

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I really want just packs in general. Think Mario Kart 8 with 3 new characters, 4 stages, and maybe 3 or 4 skins. I would pay some good money for that. Not more than $15 but definitely somewhere in the $7 to $15 range.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I was actually surprised that they never went the extra mile and gave characters costume-changing elements as well.

I mean, there's TONS of potential there...

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd back this. But for now, the waiting game.

But seriously Magicant and Mute City 3DS please. Cfalc and Ness deserve to have new stages on the U version.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
It all depends on the price in my opinion. If the DLC were to be released in bundles like Mario Kart 8 did, I'd definitely buy it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Characters: no question

Stages :very likely

Costumes and music: no

All of the above (aka packages): no question getting packages (especially if it saves money)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I will more than likely buy any DLC for this game, even if the price feels too much. It's Smash, so I have to have it.

That being said, I wouldn't mind paying 99c for costumes, or €2.99 for a bundle with a bunch of costumes for different characters.

And stages there is no question about, as that is some pretty substantial content.

Last edited:

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
i'd only get costume dlc if its something so amazing/extravagant that I had to have it (which i seriously doubt would ever happen). as far as stages go i'd have no problem dishing out some cash for em

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I will more than likely buy any DLC for this game, even if the price feels too much. It's Smash, so I have to have it.
This. I didn't think I'd buy too many Amiibos when I first heard about them... I now have 9 with 2 more pre-ordered.

I will gladly pay all the money for DLC characters (though I honestly don't expect there to many, if any at all after Mewtwo), or for stages. I would even pay for stages from the 3DS or previous versions to be ported over to the Wii U version.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
As someone who loves LittleBigPlanet, this is exactly in my DLC range.

My poor wallet will certainly be in objection, though.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I would gladly pay for a skin or extra stage. (Besides, i've always loved the pac man stage from the 3DS version and I think it would make great DLC.)

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm pretty cheap but will definitely pay for Character DLC and most likely stages if they had a separate DLC package for that, but I can see just one complete package with a few characters, stages, and costumes all included. I probably wouldn't pay for just costumes.

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Would definitely buy characters and stages. Costumes...eh. Maybe.

Ah, who am I kidding. It's Smash. Of course I'd buy it.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Me personally, I would prefer the League of Legends approach, where costumes could be purchased and additional game content would be free.

koen_happy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4639-8990-5213
Yep going to buy those if it is at the right price point. It will be cool if they handle the DLC like how they handle the DLC in Mario Kart 8

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
i personally would buy any DLC for Smash 4, whatever it is, whatever the price is (unless it's not more expensive than the game lol).

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I think Mewtwo is the only DLC we'll get, no more new characters, stages or modes :laugh:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
As amiibos have shown, I have a problem.

If Smash wants my money and released a costume and map dlc pack... they would have my money.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Characters: Yes.

Stages:Yes.

Music: If it's cheap.

Costumes: If it's VERY cheap.

Khao

Smash Lord
Characters? Definitely. Stages? Probably. Costumes, songs, etc.? Not unless it's packaged with the aforementioned.
Ya, this.

I want new content.

But I wouldn't pay for minor aesthetical changes (like a costume) even if it costed a single cent. If they ever offer this things, I hope it's on a big pack/season pass thingy rather than sold on its own.

Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors already did that, so I'm guessing that's what would happen anyway.

Me personally, I would prefer the League of Legends approach, where costumes could be purchased and additional game content would be free.
So worthwhile content would be free, while we would have to pay for things that add nothing to the game?

Man, I really hope that doesn't happen. It really seems extremely backwards.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
How do tournaments handle dlc characters? It's not too big a deal I guess if the pricing isn't bad, but to pay more just to be able to have certain fighters and know certain matchups kinda sucks. It's different from Mario Kart too because most of the characters are very similar - they serve more to distinguish the players than offer something completely different.

With that in mind, stages and costumes seems more fair. Would definitely pay for all three though.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
All of my yes, especially stages and music.

Where are the following music tracks:

Pokemon Battle Trozei - Boss
Kid Icarus Uprising - Dog's Theme & Little Girl's Theme
Kid Icarus Uprising - Chapter 11 - Midstage - Reset Bomb Forest
Kid Icarus Uprising: Chaos Kin/Chaos Island
Kid Icarus Uprising - Destroyed Skyworld (original)
Pokemon XY Gym Battle
Pokemon Black and White - Wild Battle
Pokemon Black and White - Gym Battle
Pokemon XY - Vs Kanto Wild Pokemon
Kid Icarus Uprising - The First Town
M&L Partners in Time - Boss Battle
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror - Candy Constellation
Kirby's Air Ride - Checker Knights
Wario Land Shake it! - Savannah Valley
Animal Crossing Wild World - 8PM
Animal Crossing - 5PM and 7PM mixed.

And more that I could list. I'd love to see these either re-arranged or taken directly from the game.

Last edited:

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
So worthwhile content would be free, while we would have to pay for things that add nothing to the game?

Man, I really hope that doesn't happen. It really seems extremely backwards.
I think i's a pretty good model.
This way, everyone would have access to the full game.
Barring additional gameplay features with a pay wall really sucks for the person who already found it hard to get the money for a Wii U and Smash 4.
This also complicates tournaments, where some Wii U's would have the DLC and others wouldn't. You'd have to shell out more cash on the spot to get every console up to speed, or ban the DLC if it's too big of a problem. Worst case scenario is that the game is unplayable without it.
Because skins are a superficial thing and don't change the gameplay, it's better to slap a price on them. That way, everyone can still play the full game. If they released a bunch of character costumes for everyone, I'd probably buy some.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I would buy any Smash DLC. Except If the costumes are boring/unamusing.
And even though I like most 3DS stages I would rather they keep them for the 3DS. Give it something special.

OFFTOPIC: When is the Miiverse / Tournament mode patch happening?

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
How do tournaments handle dlc characters? It's not too big a deal I guess if the pricing isn't bad, but to pay more just to be able to have certain fighters and know certain matchups kinda sucks. It's different from Mario Kart too because most of the characters are very similar - they serve more to distinguish the players than offer something completely different.

With that in mind, stages and costumes seems more fair. Would definitely pay for all three though.
I know with other fighting games (Street Fighter, SkullGirls, MVC3) dlc is usually expected for tournaments, or at least those I have been to, although if it were just costumes it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I think paid DLC for costumes would be cool if cheap. However, stages seem more of a pain than anything else.

Dish0ut

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BASI#977
NNID
Yoderman2
3DS FC
0817-4278-1423
Switch FC
SW-6074-4583-8904
If Nintendo even mentioned DLC I'd start throwing money at my Wii U and 3DS. I don't care what it is. I want it.

Okay, I do care what it is. But I'll still buy it no matter what. Roy DLC kthanks

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
If Nintendo even mentioned DLC I'd start throwing money at my Wii U and 3DS. I don't care what it is. I want it.

Okay, I do care what it is. But I'll still buy it no matter what. Roy DLC kthanks
Roy's our boy forever and always :roypm::roypm::roypm::roypm::roypm::roypm::roypm:, like what the heck keeping Marth and Lucina, having Roy instead of one of them would have made more sense.

Khao

Smash Lord
I think i's a pretty good model.
This way, everyone would have access to the full game.
Barring additional gameplay features with a pay wall really sucks for the person who already found it hard to get the money for a Wii U and Smash 4.
This also complicates tournaments, where some Wii U's would have the DLC and others wouldn't. You'd have to shell out more cash on the spot to get every console up to speed, or ban the DLC if it's too big of a problem. Worst case scenario is that the game is unplayable without it.
Because skins are a superficial thing and don't change the gameplay, it's better to slap a price on them. That way, everyone can still play the full game. If they released a bunch of character costumes for everyone, I'd probably buy some.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I just feel the exact opposite way.

I would be more than willing to put some money into a worthwile update that adds new content, more options, and or new ways to enjoy the game like a new character or stage.

But I'm not willing to pay any amount for something that just changes the way a character looks. I know that charging for costumes has been proved to be a successful practice, but it's one that just doesn't feel right to me. If I have to spend money to get content developed after the game's release, it better be something that adds something of worth to the game, and a simple change of appearance is not it.

It's precisely because of how superficial skins are that charging for them feels backwards. If the content doesn't change the game, it just has no value.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
There are very few ways I can see myself not paying for whatever they put out, if nothing else to make sure I've made my monetary mark when Nintendo considers if DLC was a success or not.

The_World

Smash Cadet
I was Mr L in Project M. I want to be Mr L in Smash 4.

In all seriousness, I would definelty pay if the price isn't too high. I feel like some characters could have had better alternate colors. For stages, I would also pay, especially if they come to the 3ds version.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I would definitely buy any new characters and stages they throw at us just so everything is complete.

As for costumes and music, it depends. The most likely scenario will be a Mario Kart 8-like DLC pack where we get a little bit of everything (maybe like 4 new stages, a new character, new music for the new stages and maaaaybe like a handful of costumes) and I would definitely buy that. The only other way I could see them doing costumes is if they had "theme packs", where every character gets a full-on alternate costume and they are all similar to one another. Like a "Melee Costume Pack" where all of the characters that were in Melee get costumes to make themselves resemble their appearances in Melee (like some of the PM costumes) and the Brawl/4 newcomers would get new costumes to match the Melee style. Or they could have like a "Mario Character Pack" or a "Zelda Character Pack" where each character from the respective series gets one or two new costumes. As for music, I'm not sure we'll be getting any new music outside of what would accompany a hypothetical new stage. Buuuut you never know!

And as long as it wasn't crazy expensive or something I would buy pretty much any DLC they throw at us.

Top Bottom