• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else hoping that characters like Bowser, Donkey Kong and King Dedede get their usual voices?

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I was never a fan of how these characters sounded "realistic" in the Smash Bros. games. I did kind fit Brawl since that game was gritty and tried to be more realistic, but I think it's just out of place in Smash 4, with how they (in my opinion thankfully) made the game more colourful and vibrant. Looking at the trailer for the Inklings it strongly seems like they will keep this artstyle so there might be a chance they'll use their canon voices this time around.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Absolutely. It sort of fit in Brawl because that game was trying to be “realistic” looking, despite still being a dubious choice. I didn’t play much Smash 4 but I was extremely disappointed to find that despite the visual changes they still sounded like real animals.

Kenny James does such an incredible job as Bowser that it’s a missed opportunity not having him showing off Bowser’s arrogant attitude. DK I have less of an opinion on but I absolutely prefer his goofy monkey noises to the realistic gorilla ones. Same with Diddy.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I doubt we'll ever get the legendary anime Dedede to return, but Bowser, Diddy, and DK's characters all fit their usual voices so much better that I have no idea why they haven't made the switch (pardon the pun). Yoshi isn't out here roaring like he's from Jurassic Park.

Same goes for turning Mario into a stoically serious character. I'd rather see him happy like in Melee and 64, or at the very least, a more expressive kind of angry like in Mario Tennis Aces. Charles Martinet's voice clips sound so lifeless in Brawl and 4.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I hear a lot of people say that. I honestly prefer what we have now.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Man I really hope so.

It’s literally so damn obvious for them to have their game voices, I can get Melee/Brawl for having realistic sounds but why the hell didn’t Sm4sh take this chance to actually have voices?

Apparently “animal noises make sense”, by that logic Sonic should have realistic hedgehog noises or Falco squawking non-stop instead being cocky.

It’s even more absurd when Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have proper voices but not Bowser.

And to be honest, I’d love to have Ted Lewis (Foghorn Right Back At Ya) voice DDD.

So yeah, we need their proper voices but not as long as Sakurai’s around.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser should get back their Mario series voice clips. Most notably, the voice clips made by Takashi Nagasako (Donkey Kong), Katsumi Suzuki (Diddy Kong), and Kenny James (Bowser).

Giga Bowser, however, would not work well with Kenny James's voice clips, so he'd still keep the deeper animal roars.

As for King Dedede, he's probably better off using Sakurai's voice portrayal of him. It's not like Dedede has much, if any voice clips in the mainstream Kirby titles, and his TV series voice wouldn't feel right.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Wouldn't King Dedede's true voice be Sakurai's since Superstar Ultra?

Think I might be the lone Kirby fan who doesn't really like Texan 4Kidz Dedede. Such an awkward fit, like pretty much all of their casting direction.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Think I might be the lone Kirby fan who doesn't really like Texan 4Kidz Dedede. Such an awkward fit, like pretty much all of their casting direction.
Foghorn DeDeDe is fun BECAUSE it’s a weird casting choice. I’m pretty sure nobody involved has any interest in Kirby, so they just looked at the characters and gave them voices based on what they thought they’d sound like.

King DeDeDe basically became an entirely new character in the anime, both because he basically was a different character, and because his voice was so out of left field you’d never expect it. I love Foghorn DeDeDe (and Leghorn, too) but I don’t really see the goofy, selfish but good hearted DeDeDe we see in Kirby games as the same character. Like how Ash and Red aren’t the same character.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
Kenny James does such an incredible job as Bowser that it’s a missed opportunity not having him showing off Bowser’s arrogant attitude. DK I have less of an opinion on but I absolutely prefer his goofy monkey noises to the realistic gorilla ones. Same with Diddy.
100% agreed. Kenny James does such an amazing job as Bowser, it's a shame we didn't get it before. I even went out of my way to mod his voice into Smash 4 (complete with the Showtime-Voice Clip from M&LBiS at the start of a battle). What you say about DK and Diddy also perfectly applies to me.

Giga Bowser, however, would not work well with Kenny James's voice clips, so he'd still keep the deeper animal roars.
No objection there, the roars do fit him quite well.

Sakurai left HAL after Kirby Air Ride, so Dedede's voice in Superstar Ultra wasn't him. He did voice him in Kirby 64 though.
Shinya Kumazaki, the director of every Kirby game since Superstar Ultra has been the voice ever since, and he's the one I'd want to voice Dedede in Smash 4.

I also find Texan Dedede entertaining as hell, but Like UltimateWario said, they're sort of two different characters. I would have him over how Sakurai speaks him in Smash 4 but if I was the one in charge, I'd certainly get Kumazaki to do it.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I'm not really a fan of their realistic voices, either. Hopefully their voices get changed to their main series voices this time around. It would give them some personality and help them be more...I don't know...expressive? I think if Bowser and Donkey Kong had their main voices it'd make them more enjoyable characters in Smash. I mean, I like Bowser as the big, bad and tough "King of Awesome" instead of the more beast-like Bowser that we have in Smash.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Yes, give Zelda her botw voice actress too

(Also a new moveset cause the old one is garbage, like ganondorf's, but that's off topic)

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I was never a fan of how these characters sounded "realistic" in the Smash Bros. games. I did kind fit Brawl since that game was gritty and tried to be more realistic, but I think it's just out of place in Smash 4, with how they (in my opinion thankfully) made the game more colourful and vibrant. Looking at the trailer for the Inklings it strongly seems like they will keep this artstyle so there might be a chance they'll use their canon voices this time around.
Totally agree, them having the voices they have in Smash doesn't feel like the characters are being done justice.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Same goes for turning Mario into a stoically serious character. I'd rather see him happy like in Melee and 64, or at the very least, a more expressive kind of angry like in Mario Tennis Aces. Charles Martinet's voice clips sound so lifeless in Brawl and 4.
I'm glad i wasn't the only one to notice this, i really hate Mario's voice clips in Brawl/Smash4, it almost sounds like Charles Martinet was sick when recording? it's "raspy" sounding, unlike games that came out after like Galaxy, 3D World, Odyssey, etc. where he sounds much lively and better.

And yes i agree DK, Diddy, and Bowser need their modern voices too.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm glad i wasn't the only one to notice this, i really hate Mario's voice clips in Brawl/Smash4, it almost sounds like Charles Martinet was sick when recording? it's "raspy" sounding, unlike games that came out after like Galaxy, 3D World, Odyssey, etc. where he sounds much lively and better.

And yes i agree DK, Diddy, and Bowser need their modern voices too.
Yeah, he likely wasn't used to the voice direction they were taking. Even when he made Mario angry, he was still allowed to be expressive about it, but this was completely different. The fact that it remained in Smash 4's colorful art style is so jarring.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I fully agree with you, it’s quite jarring going from a regular Mario game then playing Smash. Why is Bowser a generic Kaiju? Why isn’t DK a goofy gorilla? and why is Mario so pissed off?

But I doubt it’ll ever happen while Sakurai is still in charge. He obviously prefers portraying these characters that way for whatever reason.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I don't mind Dedede being voiced by Sakurai. I consider that 4kids voice non canon. But Donkey Kong and Bowser better sound like themselves!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
DeDeDe DOES have his natural voice, but yes please so much for Bowser's modern voice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sadly, it appears that Donkey Kong and Bowser still don't have their typical Mario series voice clips. Let's just pray that as the game's development process continues, we'd receive the option to change voice clips for certain fighters. Marth may speak English now, but maybe players could get the option to switch to his Japanese voice as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d like to see Steve Burton back as Cloud, at least.

Steeev

Smash Rookie
NNID
StevenMac05
3DS FC
2294-9464-9481
I can understand Dedede using distorted voice clips of who I can only assume is Sakurai, sorry if I'm wrong, because the RBAY voice wouldn't really fit his representation in Smash, but Bowser and DK can definitely use a change

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Well since they gave Marth(and I assume Roy) an English voice maybe they’ll give DK, Diddy and Bowser they’re correct voices too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well since they gave Marth(and I assume Roy) an English voice maybe they’ll give DK, Diddy and Bowser they’re correct voices too.
If the E3 build has anything to say, it's looks quite doubtful that Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser will get their usual Mario series voices.

I fully agree with you, it’s quite jarring going from a regular Mario game then playing Smash. Why is Bowser a generic Kaiju? Why isn’t DK a goofy gorilla? and why is Mario so pissed off?

But I doubt it’ll ever happen while Sakurai is still in charge. He obviously prefers portraying these characters that way for whatever reason.
X_X I like angry Mario, okay?

On the topic at hand, though, I'm still waiting every day for Bowser to get new voice clips. Maybe if I'm a good enough boy this year, my wish will be granted...

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I can understand Dedede using distorted voice clips of who I can only assume is Sakurai, sorry if I'm wrong, because the RBAY voice wouldn't really fit his representation in Smash, but Bowser and DK can definitely use a change
Why does everyone seemingly overlook the voice Kumazaki gives Dedede in the modern Kirby games since RtDL?

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I'd like everyone who's not Kirby, Marth, Ness, King Dedede to get new voice clips.

I'd like everyone who's not Kirby, Marth, Ness, King Dedede to get new voice clips.
Uhhh...... May I ask why everyone except for the 4 you just mentioned? I mean, I really can't picture some other characters (especially characters like, Captain Falcon, Peach, Toon Link, etc) with any other voice than what they currently have, and I really don't see the point in changing some other character's voices.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I'd rather our current monster DK than goofy Scooby Doo DK. Smash gets DK's fun, goofy side through animations. But his feral roars keep him looking and sounding like a monster, which is how it should he, since he is one. He's like Nintendo's Hulk

It's crazy to me that so many want DK's awful voice

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd rather our current monster DK than goofy Scooby Doo DK. Smash gets DK's fun, goofy side through animations. But his feral roars keep him looking and sounding like a monster, which is how it should he, since he is one. He's like Nintendo's Hulk

Maybe it's because sounding like a real world gorilla now feels way out of place for Donkey Kong and his cartoonish expressions. He may have gotten away with it in Brawl, thanks to its more realistic art style, but Smash 3DS / Wii U and Smash Ultimate are more cartoonish in nature, especially when you look at the following screenshot.

Also, when you look at Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, they were able to keep their typical voice clips from the Super Mario series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I honestly prefer the Scooby-Doo voice. It's funny, and DK's always been a more comical character to me.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Uhhh...... May I ask why everyone except for the 4 you just mentioned? I mean, I really can't picture some other characters (especially characters like, Captain Falcon, Peach, Toon Link, etc) with any other voice than what they currently have, and I really don't see the point in changing some other character's voices.
Sorry poor wording. The aforementioned characters already have new clips, and I just want everyone else to get the same treatment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom