• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is an EMP attack on the U.S. possible?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If you edit your op with links to the article and state a position that can be argued, I'll not lock this, deal?

Braydon

Smash Ace
I don't really see where this is open for debate, it's pretty simple, if we get stronger power sources EMPs will become viable military technology.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I don't really see where this is open for debate, it's pretty simple, if we get stronger power sources EMPs will become viable military technology.
Stronger power sources? As in...?

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
A classmate of mine had actually said the same thing about the amount of power it would take to do so. This also applies to HEMPs right?

Last edited:

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
Well to in the matter of addressing if it's possible to EMP the U.S after two years almost since the last post, yes it is possible that the U.S could suffer from an EMP attack. In spite of many systems that could be locked in place to protect grid failure and prevent an EMP from taking place, factors such as human error, lack of resources, and not having the right idea in how to handle the situation can hinder the chances of coping with or recuperating from an EMP.

It's been said however copper batteries are capable of withstanding an EMP.

As to how the U.S will handle the situation in the event we receive an EMP, we'll have to wait and see.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Well to in the matter of addressing if it's possible to EMP the U.S after two years almost since the last post, yes it is possible that the U.S could suffer from an EMP attack. In spite of many systems that could be locked in place to protect grid failure and prevent an EMP from taking place, factors such as human error, lack of resources, and not having the right idea in how to handle the situation can hinder the chances of coping with or recuperating from an EMP.

It's been said however copper batteries are capable of withstanding an EMP.

As to how the U.S will handle the situation in the event we receive an EMP, we'll have to wait and see.
The real threat from an EMP is that it could be followed by an invasion or nuclear attack while your infrastructure is down. No one will ever just use an EMP to try to conquer a country.

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
It'd be an expensive scare tactic alone plus it would cause a delay in systems and services and set development back all due to the interruption of the grid, but essentially I assumed I wouldn't need to make mention of their being a likely possibility of a follow up after the strike given it'd be ample opportunity. The enemy however would need to be prepared to move swiftly in the follow up before countermeasures could be set and a form of communication set in motion. Since this is a debate topic however assumptions won't get the point thoroughly across especially since our members come from all ages and have different mindsets so that was more my fault for thinking it was safe to assume. Essentially thanks for pointing that out.

Braydon

Smash Ace
It'd be an expensive scare tactic alone plus it would cause a delay in systems and services and set development back all due to the interruption of the grid, but essentially I assumed I wouldn't need to make mention of their being a likely possibility of a follow up after the strike given it'd be ample opportunity. The enemy however would need to be prepared to move swiftly in the follow up before countermeasures could be set and a form of communication set in motion. Since this is a debate topic however assumptions won't get the point thoroughly across especially since our members come from all ages and have different mindsets so that was more my fault for thinking it was safe to assume. Essentially thanks for pointing that out.
Well the thing is you were talking about how it would be hard to recover from the EMP, but it wouldn't just be an EMP, in modern war no one would launch a massive attack like an EMP without being prepared to follow through.

Legitimate Ted

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2470-4924
Ha, that's interesting. As a hobby, I develop world domination plans. Several of them have involved using an EMP in either New York (Primary target: UN building) or Los Angeles (Primary target: The Internet). A few more have involved the use of viruses to wipe out the internet.

Of course it's a weapon. It's effectively a guaranteed SSB4 Disable. Doesn't usually cause problems on its own, but what follows it the real issue.

Braydon

Smash Ace
A few more have involved the use of viruses to wipe out the internet.
:rolleyes: Oh please... A virus? There is absolutely no chance of that working in reality. Weapons do not go through the internet, you'd hardly touch the military with a virus... Then you'd die for being a cyber terrorist.

Legitimate Ted

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2470-4924
:rolleyes: Oh please... A virus? There is absolutely no chance of that working in reality. Weapons do not go through the internet, you'd hardly touch the military with a virus... Then you'd die for being a cyber terrorist.
Well, if it's on a timer, and is completely undetectable up until a certain date, it shouldn't be too hard.

Top Bottom