• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is alcoholism a disease, or a disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Hi all,

This is my first topic in the debate hall and I'm really stoked.

I'm curious as to what people think in here that if Alcoholism, or the addiction to alcohol is a disease of the brain, or is it a mental disorder.

Having recently being educated on the effects of drugs and alcohol this previous semester my professor would always relate alcoholism to the disease model.

The disease model states that the person cannot control their actions and the only treatment for alcoholism is to put your faith in a higher power. "Alcoholism is the disease that tells you do not have a disease".

Personally, I believe addiction is a personality disorder comprised of high sensation seeking as well as low tolerance for bordom as well as poor coping skills. I truly believe that if someone wants to change and wants help they can seek out services other than relying on "Alcoholics Anonymous" or any other 12 step program that adopts the disease model.

What do you all feel?

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
First off, a disorder and a disease are pretty similar, so i guess it really doesn't matter which you call it since the terms are interchangeable Also alcoholism is a psychological dependence, so once more, calling it a disease of the brain, or is it a mental disorder doesn't matter much since there the same thing. As for another program, I think there are others out there, but I can't name any off the top of my head.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I would go on it depends all on one's opinion. I've heard some people call it a disorder, due to the main fact that those who are alcoholics have a problem with drinking, and they cannot control the amount that they drink. I would call it a disorder for the fact that an alcoholic cannot control his or her drinking problem, and a problem that somebody has can be seen as a disorder.

I would not call alcoholism a disease, but it can cause diseases (i.e. Liver Disease).

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
A disease doesn't have to be a physical problem such as a cold or a virus, it can also be something that causes a lack of ease or order, like a problem in society or a disorder. But really, what it comes down to is opinion, like blue said.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Looking at the definitions for disease and disorder, it is definitely a disorder.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
First off, a disorder and a disease are pretty similar, so i guess it really doesn't matter which you call it since the terms are interchangeable Also alcoholism is a psychological dependence, so once more, calling it a disease of the brain, or is it a mental disorder doesn't matter much since there the same thing. As for another program, I think there are others out there, but I can't name any off the top of my head.
It does matter as the treatment modality is greatly effected. If alcoholism is viewed as a disease, then therapy cannot empower the individual to change/break their addiction. This is where 12 step models come in, that completely strip any identity that an individual has and makes them "powerless to change".

If it is accepted as a disorder, a variety of different therapies can be used to employ reduction in use and eventually total abstinence.

Also, you are incorrect about psychological dependence. If alcohol is abused enough and the person goes through withdrawal, the person can develop tremors which can turn into seizures, which in turn can kill that individual.

Alcohol is the only drug where the person can die from withdrawal.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
You know the little sprinkles you had on your ice
Actually, it's a disease. Any sort of addiction is a disease. Believe it or not, when you do any sort of drug, or drink alcohol, receptors in your brain recieve endorphines and block up those receptors. Thus making you need more and more of it to get that "high" feeling. If you try to stop, your brain doesn't get enough endorphines, and th results are usually painful. That's why it's so hard to quit.
BTW, it might not be endorphines that you get. I forgot what the hormone was.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Are you sure? (Not Joking) But what about Crack?... Cant you Die from withdraw? I smoke Crack right now and thats why Im scared to stop.
From what I know in class, overdosing on crack can kill you, like any other drug. Going through withdrawal will feel like hell from what I understand, if you need help detoxing, I recommend contacting your local physician, he or she would be better off explaining the cycle of withdrawal that you will experience if you are withdrawing from crack cocaine.

Actually, it's a disease. Any sort of addiction is a disease. Believe it or not, when you do any sort of drug, or drink alcohol, receptors in your brain recieve endorphines and block up those receptors. Thus making you need more and more of it to get that "high" feeling. If you try to stop, your brain doesn't get enough endorphines, and th results are usually painful. That's why it's so hard to quit.
BTW, it might not be endorphines that you get. I forgot what the hormone was.
The disease model shows that there is a link between the brain chemicals and use. However, there are ways to detoxify the body to rid an individual of the disease, but people still choose that drug seeking behavior?

A disease destroys the body, it does not change behavior. Alcoholism while it has physical effects, changes the person's behavior. That would be a disorder, more specifically a personality disorder.

Saying that alcoholism is a disease and not a disorder, alleviates any sort of responsibility on the user. "Its not my fault, I have a disease" is the EXACT opposite of what an addict needs to hear. Studies have shown that remission rates are higher in programs that promote personal responsibility over the disease model.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
A disease destroys the body, it does not change behavior.
Exactly. What does drinking do? It kills your liver. What do drugs do? They mess up your brain. That stuff destroys the body. The substances themselves don't change the behaviour, the brain does. It wants more and more of whatever you gave it because of the chemical imbalance. The change in behavior is a symptom of addiction, not the problem itself.

Just because that it's (or it could be) a disease doesn't alleviate personal responsibility. I don't even think that it's proper grounds for a good alabi. It just means that it will eventually cause death or something far worse. Testicular cancer!

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
dis·ease (dĭ-zēz')
n.
1 A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

2 A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.

3 Obsolete Lack of ease; trouble.

dis·or·der (dĭs-ôr'dər)
n.
1 A lack of order or regular arrangement; confusion.

2 A breach of civic order or peace; a public disturbance.

3 An ailment that affects the function of mind or body: eating disorders and substance abuse.
Looks like a disorder to me.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whether you choose to call alcoholism a disease or disorder is purely semantic. What I take issue to is when people try to use "Alcoholism is a disease" as an excuse for their actions. As if they have no control over it, as if it is some disease that they contracted and cannot be held responsible for the things they do while drunk.

No johns. If you have a problem, fix it.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Exactly. What does drinking do? It kills your liver. What do drugs do? They mess up your brain. That stuff destroys the body. The substances themselves don't change the behaviour, the brain does. It wants more and more of whatever you gave it because of the chemical imbalance. The change in behavior is a symptom of addiction, not the problem itself.

Just because that it's (or it could be) a disease doesn't alleviate personal responsibility. I don't even think that it's proper grounds for a good alabi. It just means that it will eventually cause death or something far worse. Testicular cancer!
Alcohol causes Cirrhosis, the person does not necessarily experience this if they are an alcoholic. Drugs and Alcohol cause disease, but are not disease themselves.

Just because it is not a good allabi does not mean that people do not continually use it day in and day out in rehabs and other clinics. Practically, calling addiction a disease is pretty much puts the addict in a "Win-Win" situation.

Situation A: "I am no longer actively using" The person will feel happy that they conquered the disease, as well as receive praise for their feedback and hardwork.

Situation B: "I have a disease, therefore I cannot stop myself from using" Addict will externalize use to other things that are beyond his or her personal locus of control. Will use the "ITS A DISEASE" defense to rationalize their poor choice in behavior selection. Will still recieve praise and support for trying even though they utterly failed.

The addict is typically the most selfish individual on the planet. They want YOU to believe that anything they do is not their fault so that they can find ways to get resources of the people around them.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
BUT the fact that someone can't do something just burrows under their skin and keeps eating at them until they actually do something. Yes, they recieve praise and support, but they know that they can't quit. They just say that they can't do anything about it because it's a disease. Yes, they're selfish, but not so much that they don't want to help themselves. They look at the people that have actually quit using the substance, and want to do it themselves. That's why clinics are so effective. They use that to their advantage.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
BUT the fact that someone can't do something just burrows under their skin and keeps eating at them until they actually do something. Yes, they recieve praise and support, but they know that they can't quit. They just say that they can't do anything about it because it's a disease. Yes, they're selfish, but not so much that they don't want to help themselves. They look at the people that have actually quit using the substance, and want to do it themselves. That's why clinics are so effective. They use that to their advantage.
Clinics effective?

Sir, it takes a person usually 4 to 5 times in a rehab before they quit, I hardly call that effective. Over 90% of individuals who go to rehab their first few times often go back to using.

How do you know whats going in the mind of an addict? Research has shown that areas with a heavily addicted population shows increase in crime, particularly burglary and murder as well as obvious consumption of illegal substances.

Addiction is pretty much a disorder that encapsulates individual with high sensation seeking, low threshold for boredom as well as poor coping skills. Using the disease model traditionally will not address these issues. They will try to get the individual to put their faith into a higher power, which is ridiculous. Only by accepting it as a disorder and forming treatment appropriately can you get an individual who is addicted to become not addicted.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
If clinics aren't effective, then why does either model (disorder vs disease) really matter? Basically you just said that four-fifths of drug abusers are hopeless, even more considering that some of them don't even go back to therapy. What are you trying to prove?

Besides, you just basically stereotyped out the wazoo. Seriously. Most of them are just people that can't stop using it. The raised crime rates are because of the dealers on the corners of the streets and people trying to get money. Even so, not all of the raised crime rates are due to the drugs. You have to look at the size of the city and where the crimes are taking place. Look at the number of people without jobs and homeless people living around the area. There are a number of factors that affect the crime rate, not just drugs.

It's truly not their fault that they got into it (though it can be argued that it's their fault that they even tried it in the first place), it's their fault that they can't stop. It is hard to break any addiction, but it IS possible. Therapy and clinics are just catalysts that help them quit.

Besides, if it were a disorder, it would either disappear with time or stay there until death. It's a disease because they can get rid of it if they really wanted to.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
If clinics aren't effective, then why does either model (disorder vs disease) really matter? Basically you just said that four-fifths of drug abusers are hopeless, even more considering that some of them don't even go back to therapy. What are you trying to prove?
The model matters because it directly drives the treatment goals. Most rehabs use the disease model, which involves 12 step programs. My point I am trying to prove is that the present rehab situation is TERRIBLE and I would attribute that to the disease model

Besides, you just basically stereotyped out the wazoo. Seriously. Most of them are just people that can't stop using it. The raised crime rates are because of the dealers on the corners of the streets and people trying to get money. Even so, not all of the raised crime rates are due to the drugs. You have to look at the size of the city and where the crimes are taking place. Look at the number of people without jobs and homeless people living around the area. There are a number of factors that affect the crime rate, not just drugs.
Sorry but those are the etiologies that have been researched over and over, if you feel I am unjustly generalizing, than I suggest you provide an alternative etiology. The raised crime rates came from a study of a methadone clinic. They found where there were meth clinics, there was less crime to put it shortly. Areas where there was just drugs and alcohol had higher crime rates.

It's truly not their fault that they got into it (though it can be argued that it's their fault that they even tried it in the first place), it's their fault that they can't stop. It is hard to break any addiction, but it IS possible. Therapy and clinics are just catalysts that help them quit.
Everyone has a choice when they decide or not decide to do drugs or alcohol. Addiction is tough, however what people need to do is find the proper treatment model.

Besides, if it were a disorder, it would either disappear with time or stay there until death. It's a disease because they can get rid of it if they really wanted to.
Bit contradictory there, as you say it is a disease that it can be gotten rid of, but yet its hard to quit. You make it seem like its something a magic pill or surgery can cure, and thats simply not true.

The right kind of rehab (preferably using behaviorism) is the best option in my opinion. In order to beat an addiction you need to replace the behavior with something of equal value.

For example, if you want a person to stop using Heroin, methadone is a prime choice as it makes the person "normal". Unfortunately, thats replacing one drug with another so on top of that, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy can be used to address the issue of addiction, as well as teach new coping skills for an individual. Help the person successfully withdraw from the methadone, and then they should be clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom