• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is a secondary a good idea when maining Marth?

(LOX) AdapT

Smash Rookie
NNID
CubeGames
Hey, so I play competitive Smash 4 and I want to get into Competitive Melee. I have decided I want to play Marth but, in order to cover Marth's bad match-ups I thought -why not have a secondary?- but I don't know who would be a good support for Marth. Any input is greatly appreciated.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
You really don't need a secondary at a low level, but i'd recommend one of the spacies (Fox or Falco).

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
You shouldn't have a secondary until higher levels, but I definitely recommend Falco.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
The problem with a secondary is that it forces you to develop multiple reflexes for even basic things. For instance, different wavedash timings, different ledge dash timings, different dashdance lengths, different tech chase setups... in short, picking up a second character makes it much more difficult to have clean movement and tech skill unless you've already mastered Marth.

As far as how much Marth needs a secondary... it's not strictly necessary, but it can be helpful. Marth can beat every character in this game, but all of the top tier matchups can be tricky to some extent. He's also noticeably weaker on Dreamland in Bo5 sets, especially against floaties. I would recommend playing Marth alone for a while, figuring out which matchups you personally struggle with, and picking your secondary based off of that. For instance, I dislike playing against other Marth's and Falcon's, so Sheik would be a reasonable secondary for me. If you found yourself struggling against Sheik and Peach, you might pick up Puff instead.

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
You really don't need a secondary at a low level, but i'd recommend one of the spacies (Fox or Falco).
Why would Marth need one for the spacies? Marth is arguably the best counter to beating those characters. What you would need a secondary for are ones like Sheik and Falcon, Marth's hardest matchups at most skill levels.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Why would Marth need one for the spacies? Marth is arguably the best counter to beating those characters. What you would need a secondary for are ones like Sheik and Falcon, Marth's hardest matchups at most skill levels.
I was recommending a character for him to secondary, and spacies deal with Sheik and Falcon very well.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
i used to be a falcon main, and when i switched to marth i hated the falcon matchup so i kept working on my falcon and i usually just ditto falcon players. the only other matchup i hate with marth is puff and for awhile i played zelda just to screw around with a low tier and i found that my zelda beats most of the puffs i know. but for you you really need to see the matchups you have a problem with and go from there. that will take time because you might think you need a secondary to beat a character but you might not. for me that was sheik, i could never win so i wanted to pick up a new character (bad idea). i just kept working on the matchup and im getting a lot better at it and should have spent the time on marth rather than falco cause i dont play him anymore.

for now im just cheesing my way through puff and falcon but im only working on marth now so i wont need a secondary for those matchups. there is still a lot for me to work on with marth

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
i used to be a falcon main, and when i switched to marth i hated the falcon matchup so i kept working on my falcon and i usually just ditto falcon players. the only other matchup i hate with marth is puff and for awhile i played zelda just to screw around with a low tier and i found that my zelda beats most of the puffs i know. but for you you really need to see the matchups you have a problem with and go from there. that will take time because you might think you need a secondary to beat a character but you might not. for me that was sheik, i could never win so i wanted to pick up a new character (bad idea). i just kept working on the matchup and im getting a lot better at it and should have spent the time on marth rather than falco cause i dont play him anymore.

for now im just cheesing my way through puff and falcon but im only working on marth now so i wont need a secondary for those matchups. there is still a lot for me to work on with marth
You bring up a really good point at the end. "There is still a lot for me to work on with Marth". A lot of people like maining Marth because he's "not as technical" as the other top 4. However, he is rather technical, just not as much in terms of hand speed.
Marth is an extremely precise character and one who has to do a lot of adaptations because he can get predictable. He is, in my opinion, more of a mindgame opponent than the spacies or Sheik. However, he's definitely a difficult character.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I don't think you need a secondary. It is best to focus on one character.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
I don't think marth needs a secondary, because all of his matchups in top 8 are even or super close to even(except sheik might be 4-6 and peach is pretty free). A spacie is allright for a secondary though.

Top Bottom