• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is 6-player the new 4-player? (Answer: probably not.)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The 50-fact was a little vague on this detail. The announcer first boasts that the game supports 5 players. Then he boasts that the game supports 6 players. From there, he talks about the game supporting 8 players as a separate mode, which also restricts the stage selection. That left me wondering: does that mean 6 player mode is legal everywhere else? Or does it drop clear back down to 4 players?

Any links/citations/evidence would be much appreciated.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
The 50-fact was a little vague on this detail. The announcer first boasts that the game supports 5 players. Then he boasts that the game supports 6 players. From there, he talks about the game supporting 8 players as a separate mode, which also restricts the stage selection. That left me wondering: does that mean 6 player mode is legal everywhere else? Or does it drop clear back down to 4 players?

Any links/citations/evidence would be much appreciated.
6-player is apart of the eight player section of course i would recommend watching gamexplains QA video

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
While I didn't hear anything definitive, it indeed sounds like the game is split into halves: 4P mode and 8P mode. The only encouraging detail was that the guy said he never got a chance to test 7P, 6P, or 5P to see if more stages opened up. That is really disappointing because I think 5P would work just fine on all stages. I'm OK with stages being progressively eliminated as more players join the group, but I don't want to be left with only ridiculously huge stages. :(

the8thark

Smash Lord
Is 5 and 6 players just part of the 8 player mode where it's 5-8 players or are 5 and 6 players allowed in other modes too?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Is 5 and 6 players just part of the 8 player mode where it's 5-8 players or are 5 and 6 players allowed in other modes too?
That's what I was trying to find out. I've seen pictures where only 4 slots are available, which suggests that 4P and 8P exist in their own buckets. :(

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
5-players and up are set strictly to eight player mode,classic and maybe all star from what ive seen but only eight player mode let's you accually play with eight people

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Yeah there'll be up to 6 fighters for the non-Versus modes like Classic and All-Star, but otherwise 5+ is only for 8-Player Smash versus fights, otherwise it's the standard 4. Which is fine with me, I like the mix of tradition and trying new stuff out.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
As long as I have the option to create a few new 8P stages, I can rest a bit easier.

Ike Tyson

Smash Rookie
When I looked at the video I counted about 12-15 stages that support 8 player matches for instances you can fight on the default Battlefield. They said 2 stages were designed specifically for 8 players.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Even if 8 player mode cuts the number of stages down quite a bit, I would still love it. I just hope 8p mode can be played with a matchmaking system online, and not local only.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Even if 8 player mode cuts the number of stages down quite a bit, I would still love it. I just hope 8p mode can be played with a matchmaking system online, and not local only.
The 50 fact video states it will be local only.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
The 50 fact video states it will be local only.
Ohhh I must have missed that. Oh wells. My first couple weeks will be spent getting good and confident with a couple characters before tackling online, and days I don't feel like playing online against people, I will go back to fighting 7 AI characters =)

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Okay hold the phone here.

1. All those highlighted stages have different layouts, which actually drastically changes gameplay for more than a sizable portion of characters. It changes who might have an advantage or not, changes how moving around the stage may behave, and ultimately Smash Bros., being a platform/fighter hybrid, ends up very much impacted by small layout differences.

2. EIGHT PLAYER SMASH IS GIGANTIC YOU CANNOT EXPECT SMALL STAGES TO WORK WITH THEM.

3. We're in the 8th generation of gaming, not the 7th.

4. Just because it was possible to mod Melee to allow 8 players on any stage, doesn't make the experience enjoyable. Going back to point 2, why would you WANT to cram 8 players on a small stage like Corneria? That actually makes for little more than a messy, chaotic cluster**** and while it might be fun at first, the enjoyment value of that can diminish greatly within a small window of time. Being restricted isn't always a bad thing, it allows you to focus your creative more on the things you are restricted to instead of having your creativity of play going in multiple different directions with no goal in mind.

That's basically the idea going on here.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Okay hold the phone here.

1. All those highlighted stages have different layouts, which actually drastically changes gameplay for more than a sizable portion of characters. It changes who might have an advantage or not, changes how moving around the stage may behave, and ultimately Smash Bros., being a platform/fighter hybrid, ends up very much impacted by small layout differences.

2. EIGHT PLAYER SMASH IS GIGANTIC YOU CANNOT EXPECT SMALL STAGES TO WORK WITH THEM.

3. We're in the 8th generation of gaming, not the 7th.

4. Just because it was possible to mod Melee to allow 8 players on any stage, doesn't make the experience enjoyable. Going back to point 2, why would you WANT to cram 8 players on a small stage like Corneria? That actually makes for little more than a messy, chaotic cluster**** and while it might be fun at first, the enjoyment value of that can diminish greatly within a small window of time. Being restricted isn't always a bad thing, it allows you to focus your creative more on the things you are restricted to instead of having your creativity of play going in multiple different directions with no goal in mind.

That's basically the idea going on here.

1. So are you saying that the theme/texture of the stage affects the gameplay without platform/obstacle/hazard changes?

2. What are these "small" stages you speak of? Did you watch the video? was there a stage not shown here from Melee that brings up this concern?

3. My apologees for that........I got the 7th gen from here http://www.gamefaqs.com/systems.html

4. Sorry, I thought enjoyable experiences were based on personal preference. I can say that I can put as much focus wherever I want without having restrictions.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Corneria is way too small to fit 8 players without it being a mess and your video shows that, actually. Unless there was a bigger version it wouldn't be enjoyable for extended periods at parties or large gatherings, which is the whole point of 8-Player Smash to begin with.

I see your point that it should be possible to just play on any stage, however, it's not a good idea unless they somehow scale with more characters added.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Corneria is way too small to fit 8 players without it being a mess and your video shows that, actually. Unless there was a bigger version it wouldn't be enjoyable for extended periods at parties or large gatherings, which is the whole point of 8-Player Smash to begin with.

I see your point that it should be possible to just play on any stage, however, it's not a good idea unless they somehow scale with more characters added.
What I'm saying is that everybody likes different things........what you see and don't like is not the same for everyone. In my opinion I feel that Corneria is one the perfect stages for such a match. There were separate fights going on the Great Fox due to the length of the ship. The Orbital Gates Great Fox seems to be bigger but for some reason they didn't include this stage with 8 Players.

Top Bottom