• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IQ 400: Tails flies onto the Battlefield! - Tails DLC Support thread

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I'd be risking huge disappointment not just for this title, but for pretty much every title to follow.
Look, I understand that you're just trying to be realistic, but this is a support thread. It really doesn't matter to me who you vote for, but if you're not supporting Tails as a fighter for smash, then why are you coming to this thread and telling everyone here that you're not supporting him?

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I would rather have Knuckles, but Tails is aslo ok.
I feel Tails deserves a spot more because of his status as Sonic's sidekick. I also like Tails a bit better than Knuckles anyway, but Knuckles is still cool, and he would probably be my second choice for a new Sonic character in smash

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I would rather have Knuckles, but Tails is aslo ok.
I actually voted for Knuckles in the ballot thing too since voting multiple times is a thing (along with Sceptile and Ryu Hayabusa). Knuckles is my preferred choice, though I feel that some people would probably be upset if he got in over Tails since Tails is a more major character overall. After that (fake?) Project M leak though, it got me wondering about Knux more.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I actually voted for Knuckles in the ballot thing too since voting multiple times is a thing (along with Sceptile and Ryu Hayabusa). Knuckles is my preferred choice, though I feel that some people would probably be upset if he got in over Tails since Tails is a more major character overall. After that (fake?) Project M leak though, it got me wondering about Knux more.
The project M Knuckles thing is real, they just haven't released it yet.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Eggman and Tails are the most deserving for new Sonic reps in terms of Iconic status. Though Eggman would be a bit more difficult unless they did something like make him a heavier Bowser Jr. with different weapons for the Egg Beetle. Knuckles is fine and he certainly wouldn't be as cringeworthy as including Shadow in there. But I think he should wait.

I think Tails could be made a Semi-Clone of Sonic by having him keeping the Spin Dash and/or the Homing Attack. Just he's lighter, slightly slower (Maybe faster then Little Mac, but about the same or less then Captain Falcon), less KO Power then Sonic, and a really good recovery using his two tails. So not only is he the iconic character to use, he might be a bit easier on the developers.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I think Tails could be made a Semi-Clone of Sonic by having him keeping the Spin Dash and/or the Homing Attack. Just he's lighter, slightly slower (Maybe faster then Little Mac, but about the same or less then Captain Falcon), less KO Power then Sonic, and a really good recovery using his two tails. So not only is he the iconic character to use, he might be a bit easier on the developers.
He would definitely have a few moves similar to Sonic, but he has plenty of his own unique abilities to set him apart from Sonic. He would definitely be easier for the developers to create, but he would be different enough that he wouldn't be considered a clone.

SonicMario

Smash Master
He would definitely have a few moves similar to Sonic, but he has plenty of his own unique abilities to set him apart from Sonic. He would definitely be easier for the developers to create, but he would be different enough that he wouldn't be considered a clone.
Yeah I definitely think Tails has what it takes to make him to Sonic what Falco is to Fox, or for more relevant DLC news Lucas to Ness.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I wouldn't mind if he was a semi-clone of Sonic, but I do think that Tails has great potential for a solo moveset. It would be interesting either way. A Fox/Falco kind of thing sounds very fitting.

SonicMario

Smash Master
It could really be a mix of Fox/Falco and Mario/Luigi differences really. Tails would obviously have a very different recovery options at the very least like Luigi and Mario. But stuff like the Spin Dash being slightly different is more like the Fox/Falco kind of thing.

Though yeah Tails does have the potential for a completely unique moveset. Though I just don't know if they'd go that far with DLC.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
Sonic "clone" or not, I'll still be happy if they do decide to put him in the game, unless they somehow decide to make him a legit clone like dark pit, which I highly doubt will happen. I mean, it's not like he's Shadow...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic "clone" or not, I'll still be happy if they do decide to put him in the game, unless they somehow decide to make him a legit clone like dark pit, which I highly doubt will happen. I mean, it's not like he's Shadow...
Absolutely no way they'd make Tails a Dark Pit-esque clone (Basically the same with the differences being VERY miniscule). His very design wouldn't allow him to be. If Shadow wasn't already an Assist Trophy I would be very scared that's what would end up happening if they allow extra 3rd Party reps through the ballot. Even if Shadow had an all original moveset I'd dislike him being present in the game almost as much as if not more then Dark Pit. I think until we get word that Assist Trophies can get promoted (I doubt Shadow would be the first one picked if so anyway). Shadow isn't really in competition against Tails for if this ballot allows another Sonic character to join the fray.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
Absolutely no way they'd make Tails a Dark Pit-esque clone (Basically the same with the differences being VERY miniscule). His very design wouldn't allow him to be. If Shadow wasn't already an Assist Trophy I would be very scared that's what would end up happening if they allow extra 3rd Party reps through the ballot. Even if Shadow had an all original moveset I'd dislike him being present in the game almost as much as if not more then Dark Pit. I think until we get word that Assist Trophies can get promoted (I doubt Shadow would be the first one picked if so anyway). Shadow isn't really in competition against Tails for if this ballot allows another Sonic character to join the fray.
I'm certainly not concerned about Shadow either, regardless of the size of his fanbase. Even with how many people may vote for him, I feel the developers know better than to put Shadow in over Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman. I could maybe see him becoming an alternate skin for Sonic at the very most.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Provided Tails is ever added to the roster, or a future Smash roster, I personally think that the Spin Dash is the only move that Tails should share with Sonic. All of his other moves have the potential to be unique. I would love to see what Tails the Fox could bring to the table in a Smash roster. Unfortunately there's still a part of me that believes he's greatly held back by third party limitations, but I guess we'll never truly know for sure until it happens and he's added to the roster someday, or Sakurai tells us no more than one third party character per company in an interview or something.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well for one thing the poll says just "Video Game character" if it just said Nintendo video game character. It would rule out anyone 3rd Party.

Granted even with how broad Video Game character is it obviously rules out characters that never appeared on a Nintendo console or they're exclusive to a competitor now (Poor Banjo & Kazooie fans).

But anyway, DLC is extra. I think there's a chance it can break some rules regarding representation because they're optional anyway. And I truly believe Tails has the best shot of being the first character to be an extra rep for a 3rd Party franchise. Cause Sonic now counts as a veteran franchise within the series now that's it's been in more then one game. I also think extra 3rd Party reps to an already represented series are a little more likely then actual new 3rd Party reps (Well other then maybe Rayman. Just because there are Rayman trophies in-game and he's going to be requested fairly enough after that fake leak may still be fresh in people's minds) given licensing might be an issue there.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Provided Tails is ever added to the roster, or a future Smash roster, I personally think that the Spin Dash is the only move that Tails should share with Sonic. All of his other moves have the potential to be unique. I would love to see what Tails the Fox could bring to the table in a Smash roster. Unfortunately there's still a part of me that believes he's greatly held back by third party limitations, but I guess we'll never truly know for sure until it happens and he's added to the roster someday, or Sakurai tells us no more than one third party character per company in an interview or something.
I agree. There are a lot of different moves that he can use to be a unique standalone character. He can use gadgets like the handcannon and can also fly temporarily so that could be used as his double jump or recovery. I like how he was handled in Super Smash Flash 2. It goes to show how much potential he really has.

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Ryu is truly coming to Smash Bros. later on as DLC. I feel characters like Tails just got their chances bolstered

Cause:

1. It eliminates the biggest obstacle in a 2nd Sonic Rep's way: That each company only gets 1 rep
2. While you could argue that 1 per 3rd Party Franchise is still intact. What's to say DLC can't break that unwritten rule either if the first unwritten rule was broken. DLC doesn't follow the same rules as Initial roster.
3. Who else from Sega would be chosen other then another Sonic rep that's more feasible as Smash DLC?
and 4. Sonic is a veteran franchise in the series been in 2-3 games (3 if you count Wii U and 3DS as seperate) of the 4-5 game series, and very, very, very popular. Even if there's something to do with Franchises. Nintendo and Sega may find it fit to make Sonic in particular an exception to it and use DLC to bring someone like Tails in to milk some money from Sonic fans.

While I still will be cautiously optimistic on it and won't count on it too much. The outlook on Tails being DLC in the future just got alot brighter.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I doubt the Ryu thing is real. Even if it is, it could've been that Ryu was the planned Capcom representative all along, but was scrapped for Mega Man.

If they did do some kind of equilibrium with SEGA and Bandai Namco about third party representation, I could see Tails getting in, but again, I am NOT counting on it.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I doubt the Ryu thing is real. Even if it is, it could've been that Ryu was the planned Capcom representative all along, but was scrapped for Mega Man.

If they did do some kind of equilibrium with SEGA and Bandai Namco about third party representation, I could see Tails getting in, but again, I am NOT counting on it.
It's definitely real, It was already confirmed by the highly credible tcrf hacking community.
source: https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/588467223833882627
Ryu's music is right with the other dlc characters' themes.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If sega was to get a second rep Tails wouldn't be a bad edition.

I will say he's got some stiff competition tho.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
If they go through with bringing in Ryu, I'd say Tails has a pretty decent chance. Sega and the Sonic series both have a history with Nintendo and the Sonic series is pretty popular. Truth be told, I'd highly expect a second Sega character to come from the Sonic series over a different Sega series since Sonic seems to be the only thing Sega cares about these days.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I definitely support Tails for smash. Even tho I really don't want Ryu in the game part of me hopes its real so that way it opens the floodgates of 3rd party characters getting more than 1 rep. I would say Tails has a very good shot if it ends up being true if enough fans could pull together and request him tho there are 2 huge things that stand in his way.

1) a lot of people seem to think he would be a Sonic clone even tho I know in MY heart that he has alot of potential to be a highly unique character (his tails, his gadgets, and people act as if Sonic Battle or Sonic Fighters never existed so of freaking course Tails has a moveset) good luck convincing others of that. It's basically the same issue Dixie Kong is facing now with the fighter ballot. Even tho she has alot of potential to not be a Diddy clone just because 2 characters look similar alot of people will yell clone and refuse to support. So it would be up to fans to draw out movesets to try to convince people otherwise.

2) Knuckles is Tails' biggest competition. I guess because "the fighting freak" knuckles has big fist and can punch things people think he he would be the most "logical" choice for smash a FIGHTING game. *sigh* Which I think is terrible reasoning in my opinion. Yeah Knuckles appears to be tougher than Tails because he can fight traditionally but I think people are forgetting that Tails can spin his tails so fast that they basically become helicopter blades that CUT and SLICE through whole robots. I think Helicopter blades are more lethal than a pair of fist... Just sayin'

I think if Sonic were to get a second rep it should rightfully be Tails all the way not only because Tails is my favorite character but honestly all bias aside I really do think Sonic and Tails is about as iconic as it get's for Sega. Sonic and Tails is Sega's Mario and Luigi. Tho I am sure majority of people don't see it like this and would still want Knuckles or even *cringe* Shadow...

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I definitely support Tails for smash. Even tho I really don't want Ryu in the game part of me hopes its real so that way it opens the floodgates of 3rd party characters getting more than 1 rep. I would say Tails has a very good shot if it ends up being true if enough fans could pull together and request him tho there are 2 huge things that stand in his way.

1) a lot of people seem to think he would be a Sonic clone even tho I know in MY heart that he has alot of potential to be a highly unique character (his tails, his gadgets, and people act as if Sonic Battle or Sonic Fighters never existed so of freaking course Tails has a moveset) good luck convincing others of that. It's basically the same issue Dixie Kong is facing now with the fighter ballot. Even tho she has alot of potential to not be a Diddy clone just because 2 characters look similar alot of people will yell clone and refuse to support. So it would be up to fans to draw out movesets to try to convince people otherwise.

2) Knuckles is Tails' biggest competition. I guess because "the fighting freak" knuckles has big fist and can punch things people think he he would be the most "logical" choice for smash a FIGHTING game. *sigh* Which I think is terrible reasoning in my opinion. Yeah Knuckles appears to be tougher than Tails because he can fight traditionally but I think people are forgetting that Tails can spin his tails so fast that they basically become helicopter blades that CUT and SLICE through whole robots. I think Helicopter blades are more lethal than a pair of fist... Just sayin'

I think if Sonic were to get a second rep it should rightfully be Tails all the way not only because Tails is my favorite character but honestly all bias aside I really do think Sonic and Tails is about as iconic as it get's for Sega. Sonic and Tails is Sega's Mario and Luigi. Tho I am sure majority of people don't see it like this and would still want Knuckles or even *cringe* Shadow...
I don't think Tails has to worry about Knuckles. If Sakurai wants another Sonic character, Tails is definitely the next in line. As others have put it, Tails is to Sonic as Luigi is to Mario. He's the sidekick and second face of the franchise. I have no doubt in my mind that if another Sonic character made it in one day, it would be Tails.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I don't think Tails has to worry about Knuckles. If Sakurai wants another Sonic character, Tails is definitely the next in line. As others have put it, Tails is to Sonic as Luigi is to Mario. He's the sidekick and second face of the franchise. I have no doubt in my mind that if another Sonic character made it in one day, it would be Tails.
Can't wait for that day if it ever comes! Yoshi would easily be tossed aside if Tails were DLC

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tails should at least share Spin Dash considering that mechanic debuted with Tails in Sonic 2. But yeah, Tails does have the oppurtunity to be unique. I want to wait to see what are some of the first choices from the ballot are first though. That may determine whether or not the staff are looking to easier characters to make or if they really will spend the time on a really unique movesets.

If they want easier characters they could still make Tails work simply by doing a combination of Luigi and Falco's differences from Mario and Fox. Have a few moves unique to him especially in recovery options like Luigi, and any moves he has similar to Sonic are Falcofied that make the moves slightly different and/or Tails shows a bit more of his personality in performing the move (Like how Falco kicks the Reflector intead of using it as a barrier around him)

But if they're willing enough to make him completely unique (Besides sharing Spin Dash of course) then that'd be awesome. But I doubt Tails is going to be our first character we get in the game through the ballot so we'll have to see what the staff are looking for.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
THIS. I have seen a lot of people say that Tails is a bad character because of how wimpy he appears and that Knuckles or that hedgehog is more suited for Smash, probably because they seem tougher. What a lot of them don't understand, however, is that while Tails may seem feeble, he can still fight. There are plenty of Sonic games where you can play as him and take down evil robots and all that stuff. Not to mention that Smash will let any character in, even if the character doesn't fight. Take a look at Peach. All she does in her games is get kidnapped by Bowser and in Smash, she can take down characters like Bowser with ease! They also added the villager from Animal Crossing as well! they said he would never make it into Smash because of the lack of fighting in his games and now he is a full fledged combatant! I don't mind people wanting Knuckles or that hedgehog in the game but when they say stuff like tails is not suitable for Smash because of such poor reasons it just makes me angry.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I'm surprised I've barely found this thread! I really want Tails now more than ever because Sonic needs to have a partner, now that Shadow is out of the question. I remember back in SSBB I was really sad to see him (and Silver, don't like Knuckles) as a trophy and cameo

And they basically did the same thing for SSB4, but at least I know they appreciate him at least a. little. bit...
If this whole thing Ryu along with Roy thing is correct, Ryu's inclusion would 100% legitimatize character requests for Tails

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Jesus Grandma. Are we really still at it?

Tails' background appearance in Green Hill Zone in Brawl is still active in the 3DS version of this title. They would NOT go back in and reprogram Green Hill Zone on the 3DS version to no longer use Tails just so he can become playable.

Even Optimus Prime is more likely than Tails.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Jesus Grandma. Are we really still at it?

Tails' background appearance in Green Hill Zone in Brawl is still active in the 3DS version of this title. They would NOT go back in and reprogram Green Hill Zone on the 3DS version to no longer use Tails just so he can become playable.
You forget that is a past Stage where they just kept the extra stuff from the past stage because they were there before. If the team felt like adding Tails out of the suggestions I don't think they'll say "Alright guys let's begin development on Tails! Wait a sec... OH NO! Tails is on the Green Hill Zone stage in Brawl and we ported it to the 3DS version. Looks like we'll have to disappoint ourselves and all those who put their vote in for Tails and say that's the reason why he can't be DLC. Gosh darn it, why do things that the Brawl developers did have to prevent us from providing the DLC of a character. We clearly don't have any contradictions between playable characters already in the game that take part as a background element in stages or other reasons*"

*Blue Falcon on Mute City, Villager(/s) on Animal Crossing stages, Toon Link (even if not the same link in context with the games, they still bother to use Alfonzo) on Spirit Train, Miis on Tomodachi Life and Wuhu Island, ROBs as Subspace enemies, Fox and Falco in Arwings on the Star Fox Stages, and if Ryu and Roy DLC is coming the fact there is already the Koopaling Roy who even has Roy's old crowd chant ("Roy's our boy!")

Even Optimus Prime is more likely than Tails.
Please don't talk to us as if we're Miiverse users voting for Goku or Shrek. There's many other characters that have support threads on here that make Tails look more credible as a choice in comparison. I won't name any for the sake of not starting a flame war, but by now especially if Ryu is coming later. Tails isn't that farfetch'd of a choice. It's downright rude to say anything like this otherwise in a support thread anyhow.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If Sega & Namco get a second rep.
And it happens to be Tails & Klonoa.
You gotta think that would be a pretty neat opportunity for a crossover reveal trailer...
They would go together like PB&J.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You gotta think that would be a pretty neat opportunity for a crossover reveal trailer...
Yeah, if we did get a second Sonic character, it would be Tails, but I think a rep from a different SEGA franchise would make more sense since the leak depicts Ryu and not a second MegaMan rep.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind Tails, but I'm just not too optimistic about it.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I didn't think there would be anyone else who wanted both Tails and Klonoa, even at the same time
Heres a brawl hacking video that has both of them. it just goes to show the love people have for them and how much potential they have :)
Skip to 5:26

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah, if we did get a second Sonic character, it would be Tails, but I think a rep from a different SEGA franchise would make more sense since the leak depicts Ryu and not a second MegaMan rep.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind Tails, but I'm just not too optimistic about it.
I for one think it's not all that likely they choose a different Sega franchise character over a 2nd Sonic rep should Sega receive another character. There's no other Sega franchise that's as prominent on Nintendo consoles as Sonic. The only ones that even are a teensy bit are NiGHTS which had a Wii game (That wasn't very successful but one nonetheless) and to some extent Bayonetta although Sega doesn't actually have full rights to her as it turns out as the only role Sega had with Bayonetta 2 was an advisory role. So Bayonetta doesn't quite count as a Sega rep. The only thing I could see is possibly some sort of ATLUS rep, but I wouldn't know a thing or to at all on who would be the most likely should Sega allow an ATLUS character to come in.

Ryu does have the excuse of being really prominent on Nintendo Consoles at one point and in fact his franchise put fighting games on the map in general. Sakurai himself was even a competitive Street Fighter player once.

I also think if anyone is added to Sega that isn't another Sonic rep. You'll have alot more "...Who?" messages. You don't want DLC characters you're adding to get the response of "...Who?"

I know you wouldn't mind seeing Tails, but you are kinda underestimating him as if he's a really obscure character. He's nearly, if not just as iconic of Video Game Sidekicks as Luigi and there would be plenty of Sonic fans who play Smash who would appreciate another rep. If Sega is to get another rep through DLC, I say Tails would be top billing.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Someone once said that it was a miracle that Einstein's intelligence didn't make him go crazy. If this is true, then that means...

Tails might be bat**** insane. :troll:

Top Bottom