• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Invincibility Frames on Reflector

ShinKaigan

Smash Rookie
Others have noticed this in the board but it hasn't really been discussed as much as I thought it should be.

Wolf and Fox's reflector have invincible frames during the start of the move.

When I first noticed this I thought I was mistaken but I've tested it against Ike's forward smash, Samus' charged laser (Passes right through as opposed to reflected), Marth's FINAL SMASH, Snake's C4 and other things and it does in fact grant complete invincibility. This makes the reflector the ultimate anti-pressure move (not that it wasn't already).

I was just wondering why this isn't really talked about. In the Olimar forum they were going crazy over how his whistle has super armor frames but that still makes you take damage. This makes you invulnerable AND it gets them off you.

Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, we need some clarification for starters. Does the begining of down b (an already amazingly fast technique) grant you Super Armor frames or invincibility frames?

Both seem unlikely to me as the attack comes out so quickly SA frames seem unnecessary, and an attack giving you invincibility... well, that's never even been heard of.

I think it is some impratical glitch until I get some clarification or more information.

ShinKaigan

Smash Rookie
It is definitely not super armor at the start of the move. In testing, I have used snake to plant a C4 on Wolf and detonated it as I hit down+B and Wolf took zero damage from the move. The same happened when I used it against Marth's Final Smash. Marth did the slash but Wolf took no damage.

It could very well be a glitch though. I'd post a video but I don't have anything to record with.

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
I play a lot against my friend who plays Ness, and a lot of times I go to Shine a PK Fire and it goes through me instead of bouncing back I him. Kinda like a dodge.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Huh. I could try this and make a video of it, but I'm a lazy ******* and I don't think it is necessary.

Well... I think it is, for lack of a better word, a glitch. If it is invincibility it should still you hit, you just shouldn't take damage. However, the fact that you don't take damage coupled with the fact shots such as Samus' charged blast go THROUGH you, make me wonder.

Either it is A. A glitch or B. Faulty programming where Wolf doesn't exist for a period of time between activating the attack and not.

Depending on how many frames this has, it may be practical, but it may not.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I've had times where projectile go through me if I start the shine a little bit too late. It's just in the starting frames of the move Wolf just seems to disappear, granting him invulnerability.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Jeez, another wolf glitch? Between all the weird Illusion glitches (and please, lets not have arguments that Wolf clipping through the stage or the move magically cancelling itself was placed as intentional for the "tournament community" by Sakurai, because he doesn't give two ****s about competitive Smash Bros). Is this practical at all or is the timing too close to be consistent?

ShinKaigan

Smash Rookie
I managed to obtain a camera and I recorded something really quick to demonstrate the technique. In the first two cases, I used down+B to dodge a move and then got hit by the move to show that I wasn't out of range or some other odd reason that I didn't get hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBksdd5zg0

ablizno

Smash Rookie
That is pretty sweet i could never figure out what the shield did before it became a reflector for projectiles, but now i know, thank you for the video

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
okay i didnt ever know what it was but its not so much invincibility as it is a dodge, it protects you from any attacks and it seems to be more effective in the air, try it vs zeldas side-b or samus's missle and youll notice they pass right through you, its really just a dodge that is much harder to time, but comes with an attack as well, and vastly reduce lag time given it's performed in the air

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Wow. This has the potential to be huge. An almost lagless background dodge with a built-in counterattack. Wolf is looking better and better.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
In theory it sounds great. It also looks great (dodging Marth's final and all), but if the timing is too whack it may be impractical unless you can fine tune it like, for example, Super Wavedashing in Melee.

KingShade

Smash Rookie
the timing doesn't seem too hard to get , to me it seems just basically activating it as if you were using the reflector to attack.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
The timing isn't too hard. I just got it down right now (on marth's final smash).

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
an attack giving you invincibility... well, that's never even been heard of..
Actually, invincibility frames in fighting games is a common occurrence. Best example of this is the Shoryuken in Street Fighter. It is invincible on the way up.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's not even unheard of in Smash; Jigglypuff has invincibility frames on the startup of Rest.

AntonieFC

Smash Cadet
I've noticed this too, I'm leaning towards a glitch, but still a practical one. I don't think it will be to hard to time once it's exposed and we know exactly which frames and how many of them, but I think this has potential.

As was stated before it's a near lagless dodge move with a built in counter attack.

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'd never heard of this till I visited the boards (I've kinda been unable to come here as it was), but now I'm glad I did. Another reason for me to keep Wolf as a main. Good find, really.

Top Bottom