• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introduction/ format testing

Dark Socks

Smash Rookie
NNID
turtlebizniz
3DS FC
3325-2131-5764
tl;dr version: Read the parts that aren't tones of purple or lavender.

So a week ago
I fought someone at an anonymous forum via a Smash Thread I make every now and again.

I got slaughtered; it wasn't even close.

It's one of those fights where the winner says "good games" out of sheer courtesy even though we both knew that it was pretty one-sided.

I asked how he had gotten so good and his response essentially boiled down to a few key things:

Very active in a thriving tourney scene in real life
Has obtained far greater knowledge about fighting via experience
Access to reliable information resources

My smash training background paled in comparison.

At most I just fight a few random folks, tried to memorize some patterns, and watch some Youtube videos about characters and their ATs.
I knew for a long time that this wouldn't cut it in facing people within a competitive scene but I was, and still am, very unrefined in terms of how to approach making progress.

But perhaps
the most significant piece of advice that this "illusive smasher" shared with me was that in the end, I needed to learn "how to learn to play the game".

It really struck something in me. I felt for a long while that
even though I may pick up a few things here and there, I was essentially drifting around, no solid structure to build upon. I play the game without a clue as to what to do, constantly second guessing myself and it's gotten to the point where I am afraid of playing because smash now causes me so much stress and turmoil. Not from being defeated but from not knowing what to do next.

I realize that this is perhaps a very negative way to present myself and I apologize in advance.

I want to improve, and I want to start enjoying smash again. I feel that this is a good place to begin, which is why I joined.

I hope we can play a nice game of smash in the future.
Happy smashing, everyone.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, you chose the right place to "learn the game".

Welcome to Smashboards, the most experienced and biggest Smash forums and I wish you a merry Smashing!

Dark Socks

Smash Rookie
NNID
turtlebizniz
3DS FC
3325-2131-5764
Well, you chose the right place to "learn the game".

Welcome to Smashboards, the most experienced and biggest Smash forums and I wish you a merry Smashing!
You work fast. Thanks for the greetings, mate.

Last edited:

Dark Socks

Smash Rookie
NNID
turtlebizniz
3DS FC
3325-2131-5764
Welcome to the boards!
Thanks. It's good to be here. I like how welcoming the community is towards newcomers. Now if only I could find something like this in real life. :ohwell:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks. It's good to be here. I like how welcoming the community is towards newcomers. Now if only I could find something like this in real life. :ohwell:
Indeed it is. Too bad it isn't like that IRL. Oh well.. but still, it's great to have you here. Enjoy your stay!

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Top Bottom