• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intro to a story im writing

Smash Journeyman
Just the first part, paragraph, chapter, idk, to story I plan on actually finishing. I'm basically trying to create a character that lives a good and bad life. This part obviously isn't finished but just thought I'd post here to see how others thought I was doing so far.

That means critique it. It's not that long.

Personally I think I really need to work on the last seven sentances maybe. Also, where you see question marks is where I don't know what word to put in or if I should put a different word in. If a question mark isn't there that doesn't mean I don't want your opinion on that word. Rip it up.

My grandfather would take me to go golfing with him every weekend. He bought me the best clubs, as well as relevant apparel, and would teach me how to putt, and use a sand iron. "Matches are won in and around the green, Joni". I presupposed he was accustomed to seeing golfers soak in there anguish after giving up games they had all but won, in and around the green. Although my grandfather never was a professional golfer, he owned one of the most prestigious, and notorious courses in the world. Celebrity tournaments, invitationals, and heated rivalries with lucrative stakes were all common affairs at my grandfather's course. He abosrbed knowledge from watching his (????) compete, and recieved pointers through amicable conversations with them. My grandfather was wealthy, wise(?), and confident that I could be his successor, rather than his own son. My father was like a commercial failure in the eyes of his father. He was expected to rise up and replace, like I was, but amounted to nothing. Golf was dubbed too leisurely, and insulting to be called an occupation by my father. He much preferred the arduos, and ungrateful work of a coal miner. The only force that kept me from spending time with my father on the week ends, was my mother, who knew the mines were too dangerous for a boy. So I spent my time with my grandfather, which intrigued him, and infuriated my father. But he had no choice.

shadow-gate

Smash Cadet
i'm not sure what you meant by "intro" to your story, but it's very very very short. sounds like a narrated family-drama story involving golf. considering it's a narration, the word choice is fine, but it's just a start

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I would recommend against posting parts of your story to be reviewed. For one, it's pretty hard for someone to accurately review writing this brief, because there may be decisions that you've made as a writer that won't make sense without further context from the story. For example, if you asked someone to review a single page from Ulysses or The Sound and the Fury without reading the rest of it, that review would be very inaccurate.

More importantly though, it slows down your writing process if you're waiting for people to comment on a part of your story. Your first job is to get the story down; making it good comes second (through editing, revising and peer review), and can only happen after you've got the entire and complete story down in the first place.

I know it can be tempting to get instant feedback, but you have to resist that urge. Just write for now, and worry about fixing things later.

Smash Journeyman
Yea your definately right, because I can assure shadow gate it's not going to be a family-drama.

Thanks for the heads up. I really want to finish this thing so i'll post the the whole story when I finish it. (Might be a month or two)

Smash Journeyman
So I finished the rest of this story on paper and lost the paper.

Maybe i'll rewrite, but idk. It took me a month to find time to write it and will take another month now. idk.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, that DEFINITELY sucks when something like that happens. I usually can't bring myself to re-write it when I've lost a physical copy of a story. It's just too hard and I always feel like the story I'm writing can't be as good as the one I lost.

Smash Journeyman
The ironic thing is is that I always write stuff on paper instead of typing it on my computer because im afraid someone will accidentally delete it.

And now I think I might have actually thrown this story out.

Top Bottom