• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intro, History, and Questions.

mistgun.fgc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin_Ghost
Hello, I'm Mistgun. I've made an account after lurking for forever because I need to take a more active approach to finding answers to the problem in my game.

History: I've extensively played Smash 64, Melee and Brawl growing up. I switched around the cast, but Samus was my original main and forever my pocket. In March 2014, I started to play Samus with a technical and competitive mindset. I've taken intermittent breaks from both Samus and smash in general, but I'm currently involved in my community, and I plan to take Samus play to the absolute highest level I can, whatever that may be. Currently, the biggest inhibitor to my growth is knowledge. I don't have any Samus teachers, and the others that are around aren't very intellectual in their approach. I find my approach to the game unique, but hard to learn with others. So I've come here for some help.

TL;DR - I've always played Samus, but no one around is better than me at her. I need some tips.

Problem 1: "Scoring a Solid Hit in Neutral"
I play to Samus' tanking skill a lot. My favorite skills are defensive. Sometimes that means I soak up a lot of damage, though. Many of my tournament sets come Dow to last stock, last hit.

- Assuming we are both at high %, what is the best way to score a KO hit out of neutral (as Samus)?

Problem 2: "PS1 Missile Camping Technique"
Missiles were one of the first techs I picked up, and I'm very comfortable using them in a myriad of ways. Unfortunately, I just can't comprehend how to do the Missle-camping inputs on PS1. I can drop through the platform and missile cancel, but I cannot get the lag/input/technique for jumping back up, missing, and dropping back through the platform.

- How do I set up the perfect PS1 missile camp?

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
If you are both at high %s, usually an ftilt into an edge guard is the safest way to ko. Ftilt is very non committal but can easily knock someone off stage.

PS missile camp simply requires you to short hop and immediately missile. There isn't much of a special timing here, you just have to be quick.

mistgun.fgc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin_Ghost
If you are both at high %s, usually an ftilt into an edge guard is the safest way to ko. Ftilt is very non committal but can easily knock someone off stage.

PS missile camp simply requires you to short hop and immediately missile. There isn't much of a special timing here, you just have to be quick.
Thank you for the quick reply. I follow your play on TLoc.

I was thinking of starting to employ hit-and-run with FTilt, but my wavedashes aren't done in the oven yet. (My movement isn't crispy.) For now I go for grab follow ups or just spam NAir OoS / Missiles. I'll try less committal tactics.

I tried that today. I just can't get the timing! In 1/2 time, I can instant double jump -> Missile -> No Impact Land. But in regular time, I'm still working on it. I have a minor arthritis and a history of carpal tunnel, so I try not to do too much too quick.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Interesting; the shorthop missile on stadium isn't that fast a timing. Slide your finger off X or Y and immediately press side b. There should be at least a 10-frame window between pressing jump and shooting the missile. Keep practicing, I guess? Good luck!

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of starting to employ hit-and-run with FTilt, but my wavedashes aren't done in the oven yet. (My movement isn't crispy.) For now I go for grab follow ups or just spam NAir OoS / Missiles. I'll try less committal tactics.

I tried that today. I just can't get the timing! In 1/2 time, I can instant double jump -> Missile -> No Impact Land. But in regular time, I'm still working on it. I have a minor arthritis and a history of carpal tunnel, so I try not to do too much too quick.
Just be consistent with your practice regiment. You don't have to get it immediately. Samus shorthop is pretty hard to get used to, but after a while it gets solidified. The PS missile spam is actually a good way to get it down. Give it about 15-30 minutes a day and you will have it in a week. Hella work on wavedashing as well. It's probably the most useful basic tech you can master with Samus.

Thank you for the quick reply. I follow your play on TLoc.
Idk whether to be honored or embarrassed lol. I get trunched on stream sometimes.

mistgun.fgc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin_Ghost
Interesting; the shorthop missile on stadium isn't that fast a timing. Slide your finger off X or Y and immediately press side b. There should be at least a 10-frame window between pressing jump and shooting the missile. Keep practicing, I guess? Good luck!
See, I know it's just a motor-skills thing. I just need to ease into the motion. Based on what you said, that gives me a better working diagram to use while I train. Thank you.

Just be consistent with your practice regiment. You don't have to get it immediately. Samus shorthop is pretty hard to get used to, but after a while it gets solidified. The PS missile spam is actually a good way to get it down. Give it about 15-30 minutes a day and you will have it in a week. Hella work on wavedashing as well. It's probably the most useful basic tech you can master with Samus.

Idk whether to be honored or embarrassed lol. I get trunched on stream sometimes.
I have a lot of down time most weeknights. I'm down to do that before bed for a week. I'll combine both of your pointers. My wavedashes are coming along, I'm just ironing out my consistency issues.

You go out and play Samus no matter what, and you've improved over the past year. No other Samus in your region is as similar to mine as yours. We also both play purple armor, so GG. I look forward to your appearance on stream.
:201d::201a::201n::201k::201m::201e::201m::201e::201s:

Top Bottom