• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting Olimar Technique

Evazan

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this has been discussed yet but I think it has potential. While fooling around in training I noticed that you can perform Olimar's U-smash while dashing. If you U-smash and simultaneously dash your pikmin will fly straight in the air and olimar will dash in the direction you told him to.

This technique also seemingly increases the horizontal range of the attack. Normally if you and your opponent are both on the ground you have to be very close for the U-smash to hit. If you dash towards them and simultaneously U-smash you can hit them from further away.

I can see a number of ways this could be very useful. If your opponent is coming down on you you can do this to hit your opponent while moving out of the way. Another interesting thing you can do is dash towards your opponent while doing this and then as soon as the dash is over you can do an F-smash.

As far as I know this seems to be the only attack in the game which can be performed while dashing but I am probably wrong.

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
wow this is interesting. thanks for pointing it out. hopefully i'll be able to use it to help my otherwise mediocre olimar game.

Evazan

Smash Rookie
all chars can usmash out of dash -_-
I probably should have checked that out before I came to the forums touting my new discovery. :dizzy:

Even so I feel like this can be more useful for Olimar then for other characters due to the nature of his upsmash.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Yup, its useful and very strong for olimar. however running in to an upsmash is not the best strategy for olimar to begin with, so its more useful as a method to keep people above aka if your juggling or they are on a platform also rushing to drop down from it. Also pockyD said it well, everyone can do this. So its cleared up, thread locked... *wishes we had a mod just for this =P*

-True

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I probably should have checked that out before I came to the forums touting my new discovery. :dizzy:

Even so I feel like this can be more useful for Olimar then for other characters due to the nature of his upsmash.
Olimar's Usmash has got good horizontal range anyways. If you want proof, start any online match so that you can go to the arena with the sandbag. From your starting position, an Usmash will fantom hit the sandbag, while taking even the tiniest step forwards will cause the Usmash to connect with it. Notice that the range on his Usmash could very well be greater than even the range on a few character's grabs.

You don't need the running Usmash because it's got enough width to the hitbox already, but you should probably not use the Usmash too much since it's got low priority.

Ooh, and Usmashing out of a dash is called "hyphen smashing" I do believe.

Top Bottom