• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Interest Check] GameCube Sticks in N64 Controller for SSB64

BBnoah

Smash Rookie
So, I have been working on perfecting code that would allow the use of 1st party GameCube controller analogs in 1st Party N64 controllers. In order to to do it, I'd make a run of custom boards and custom plastic casings for the analog sticks themselves. It would be as easy as replacing the sticks with any other, just unplug and plug in the new one. This means that the sticks would be rubber topped and have minimal dead zones, very similar to the GameCube sticks.

Just wanting to see what the general Smash community thinks of the idea and if you'd pick one up. Price would probably be about $15-20 with free shipping.

Thanks

Zantetsu

Smash Master
If you could get the range to accurately represent an OEM N64 stick, then that would be nice. At the moment, what you are wanting to do has already been done, but it has issues with range. To quickly summarize, the N64 recognizes 128 different units for each direction but the standard N64 controller's gate and stick only reaches out to about 85, and most games are programmed with that in mind. So having sticks that reach the max of 128 causes issues with hitting sensitive inputs accurately such as tilting. There's apparently a mod to fix this with the current GCN sticks, but it still seems overly sensitive in my opinion.

Also, there are currently 2 people working on replacement sticks for the N64 as well, one who is doing plastic parts, and the other is doing steel parts. Having more options never hurts though, so if you can fix the range issues we have with the current "GCN style" sticks and make the gate accurately resemble an N64's gate, then I say go for it!

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Short answer - maybe

People have demonstrated countless times that there is a market for n64 sticks. Many people/companies have tried in the past to sell a GC style stick for an n64 controller. The problem often is that the sticks are significantly more sensitive, so an uptilt on an n64 stick might become a jump upair on a GC style stick. If you can fix this issue and make the stick identical I think there would definitely be some interest. If not, then I would ask how your product is different from the currently available options?

D

Deleted member

So, I have been working on perfecting code that would allow the use of 1st party GameCube controller analogs in 1st Party N64 controllers. In order to to do it, I'd make a run of custom boards and custom plastic casings for the analog sticks themselves. It would be as easy as replacing the sticks with any other, just unplug and plug in the new one. This means that the sticks would be rubber topped and have minimal dead zones, very similar to the GameCube sticks.

Just wanting to see what the general Smash community thinks of the idea and if you'd pick one up. Price would probably be about $15-20 with free shipping.

Thanks
There's no community, but I think it's cheating to use a GameCube controller. So I would definitely not 'pick one up.' N64 controller or no controller, simple as that.

D

Deleted member

I would buy this. The gc raphnet adapter handles the range very well, so it's a solvable problem.
For someone who has been around awhile, I must say, I am disappointed. But I can't say I'm surprised, when I find out that all these 'pro' players (whatever that means), are nothing but cheaters.

Always and forever <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
For someone who has been around awhile, I must say, I am disappointed. But I can't say I'm surprised, when I find out that all these 'pro' players (whatever that means), are nothing but cheaters.

Always and forever <3
what are you talking about? Are you implying anything but N64 controller is cheating? Speedrunning allows the use of Gamecube controllers for Zelda64, so why would playing smash be considered cheating to use a Gamecube modified stick?

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman

Always and forever <3
I fail to see what you're so mad about. Is it wrong for people to use the hori mini pad? what about using arcade sticks for other fighting games?

It's all preference, and if you lose to someone using a different controller than you, it's not because they're cheating, its because they're better at the game than you.

Thanks
Have you ever seen micro's GC n64 controller mod? It pretty much fixes all the issues with stock gc style joysticks. They probably won't be made anymore however, but he'll hopefully release all the relevant files so someone could pick it up and make more. http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

I'm pretty excited about the steel replacement parts as well.

Roboplodicus

Smash Cadet

Thanks
I'd most definitely be interested, I've been experimenting with different mods myself including putting a 1st party gamecube joystick in an n64 controller, but I've been having issues with mounting and calibration that I haven't yet worked out(though it's not that I'm out of ideas so much as out of motivation for the time being).

Top Bottom