• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Instructional] Dash Jump Canceled KO Punch

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
As crazy as it sounds, not only do Peach, Link, Toon Link and Charizard house Jump Canceled moves with their Down B attacks, but Little Mac even has it, albeit strictly for one move, the KO Uppercut. This was discovered a long time ago by another person, but I think that I should give a run down on here about the PJC KO Punch, as well as how to perform it and when to perform it, and even combos that it has.

Initiating the Dash Jump Canceled KO Punch and Physics of the Attack:

So upon Little Mac's start up on dash, initiate it then press the jump button and then use KO Punch before the jump truly initiates, which is within 5 frames of activating the jump. 5 entire frames might not seem a lot, but once you actually perform it and get it down tight, Little Mac might just be one of the more dangerous fighters this time around. Now normally, Little Mac would go a short distance with KO Punch alone and often has to be very close to the opponent, but with this, he can actually go twice (and in some cases, 2.8x) as far as he normally would.

Depending on the couple frames after the jump squat, however, the dash could be shorter or could be longer. However, using this on anything after 5 frames of initiating the jump will only have it activate in mid-air, leaving Little Mac to be punished.

In the air, Little Mac gains a huge horizontal boost when he initiates the KO Punch while moving forward, but the wait would be too long to get to the ground. With the DJC KO Punch, you don't need to really wait to come back to the ground, and with the boost in range, this makes KO Punch even more satisfying on hit when it connects, because your opponent isn't expecting the attack to go that far.

There are many applications for this, including a surprise hit on opponents who are slow and try rushing in, as well as opponents who are shielding or even attacking. It can even catch airborne opponents off guard due to the fact that KO Punch has such a high vertical hitbox that, even if it merely grazes the opponent, will still hit them nonetheless.

Combo Capabilities and Combos:

F-Smash > KO Punch
The only combo so far, the KO Punch can actually be combo'd into via F-Smash (No Angle) at 8% to 25% damage (as tested on Ganondorf); however, damage is dependent on opponent, but the result is always the same. Since it can be combo'd into from F-Smash, a person who is fast enough will not only perform F-Smash, but before the opponent even has time to react, it would be too late as the opponent would already be hit by the DJC KO Punch. This makes guarding Little Mac much more important now, as Little Mac has an easy combo now thanks to this.

Conclusion:

It is very easy to learn and you can get it down pat within just mere seconds if you perform it correctly. This tech works wonders if you know how to properly utilize it, and if you're new to Smash and want to perform it, just follow the steps provided and you'll do wonderfully.

Last edited:

tomvanharmelen

Smash Journeyman
So it's dash into JC KO punch.
Calling it something else may be confusing a bit ?

Also, why would you risk DI with Fsmash at a percent where it will not kill anyway if you connected the KO punch?
I'd say there's better setups for KO punch that are actually guaranteed at kill percents..
It's good to spread the knowledge on the JC KO punch though, so good job man!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, the damage is so low on the F-Smash that DI would not even matter, plus, if the character lands, they have a full 25 frames to get up, roll or perform another action, that is if they do not tech. Also, the dash JC KO Punch results in a fascinating Frame Lock (as indicated by the opponent hovering) and then a KO hit.

The dash JC is not only meant to be used on combo, but also to be used as a surprise tactic on opponents, should they damage you so high and they have the sufficient amount of damage to be KO'd. Remember, this allows the Mac player to zoom across a bigger portion of the attack thanks to the momentum of JC'ing it.

And thanks, I believe this can be used competitively.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I used this during a Local Tournament this Sunday and the Jump Cancel helped me numerous times and landed KO's far out of Little Mac's normal KO Punch range and it covered their back rolls perfectly.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I used this during a Local Tournament this Sunday and the Jump Cancel helped me numerous times and landed KO's far out of Little Mac's normal KO Punch range and it covered their back rolls perfectly.
Well, it's a really tricky move (especially on Wii U game pad) because of accidental reversals. However, master it and it becomes one of the best tricks to utilize for Little Mac. This doesn't cover Back Rolls only, it also covers recovering backward, camping opponents, impromptu laggy attacks and many more options, even a jump from the ledge.

Top Bottom