• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

instant uair

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I just want to hear your opinions about the instant uair and why I think we should utilize it a bit more. When I hear instant uair especially on the falcon boards its most likely apart of the shiek MU with the u-throw to instant uair at like 30% etc. But why do we only talk about it when shiek is brought up. I made this board because I saw S2J utilize this against a spacie

This blew my mind that instant uair was insanely fast into dtilt which opens for even more combos is nuts against spacies at mid %. Well tell me what you guys think about the instant uair and when you think it is good and where! thanks!! ;)

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Sh Instant uair ff lcancel is THE combo extender. It's speed just gets there. It's also kinda good out of shield since it's by far his fastest option, especially vs characters where the first hit of nair won't connect unless they jump into it. You can also jump out of it when you don't ff (1 frame link) so I imagine some kind of bait whre you up air their shield DJ stomp a shield grab, or cross up. It's soo so good for juggling. Just some thoughts.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
late Uair is an amazing poke, and instant uair can actually lead to a lot of really fancy aerial combos, tricky part is reading the DI (for example instant uair to single hit nair on the way down). I love using instant uair to get spacies off stage, as it can place them off stage in a way that leads to predictable recovery options. It's a good anti air or "Get off me" move to use against spacies when they're playing a little dishonest, and in a lot of match ups I use it as a mix up between nairs. Also, instant uair works well as a combo extender on almost all the cast, and even the fast fallers at mid-high percents. It's also +/- 0 on shield at the lowest point, so you can use it to poke and run away to keep applying pressure. I really enjoy using a mix of knee and uair to pressure shields all across the stage, as uair is neutral on shield and knee is +1 on shield. If you can land two knees on shield you can usually find a way to shield poke. After they learn you're pressure is on point, you can then condition them to be more conservative with their shield. This will eventually go away once everyone can PS on reaction though.

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
If you think of the mechanics of instant uair, it makes sense

It's fast, has really good range, and will hit standing Falco

I like also using insta uair to catch jumps or to invalidate FH aerial approaches, which Fox will sometimes do if they are not confident in their SH nair spacing or if they mess up the short hop

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
If you think of the mechanics of instant uair, it makes sense

It's fast, has really good range, and will hit standing Falco

I like also using insta uair to catch jumps or to invalidate FH aerial approaches, which Fox will sometimes do if they are not confident in their SH nair spacing or if they mess up the short hop
Yea it seems possible, I'm just wondering if they can get either another utilt out or shine before you can instant uair OoS. I feel it's guaranteed if you do this out of Power Shield, but out of normal shield stun I'd imagine it's insanely frame tight.

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Also whats your guys favorite method of insta uair? I'm trying to figure out the best method that I feel comfortable with and I just want to hear your guys methods and maybe try them out!

thanks guys!

coilerr

Smash Cadet
its definitely with A + up although its hard to be consistent with as far as Im concerned, long strings of insta uair can be hard. As for the c stick , I tested it with the frame counter and I can't get a frame perfect uair with it best I can acheive is 2 frames of jump before the up b comes out. things is for combos you usually need to hit a frame perfect uair for the first one and then switch to c stick for the rest as the % increases (becomes less frame tight).

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I use claw and I wouldn't have it any other way. I took it upon myself to learn it a couple years ago and aside from a few months relearning how to short hop, I'd say the change drastically improved my consistency and potency. My fingers never get tired anymore (however it should be stated I've built up a lot of dexterity through years of musicianship) and I have constant access to the c stick for optimal DI as well as complete control of my aerials. In short it's made any button sequence a breeze to learn, and has allowed me to maintain control in my hands even when I'm going HAM.

Oh yea and instant Uair is so simple when I have access to Y and C-stick at the same time

Last edited:

ShaVark

Smash Rookie
But claw is bad for all the rest and switching from one grip to another is extremely sub optimal imo
that's a really blinded mindset on claw grip... Many many players claw and it's very very easy on your hands and its super efficient and its used to be very accurate.

I learned claw grip after 2-3 years of looking at it with blindfolds on, my buddy plays Gannon, and he says its almost essential to use at the highest level.

I believe him now.

Claw is really good.

Last edited:

Myst0

Smash Cadet
dang... now you guys have me considering to change to claw.... the next 3 months would suck if I did....

ShaVark

Smash Rookie
dang... now you guys have me considering to change to claw.... the next 3 months would suck if I did....
I currently claw for many positions that become option selects. (On the ledge, Currently have a grab ect.)

But I still use a neutral grip for super fast movement.

Don't think having 2-3+ different ways to hold your controller as a BAD thing, it isn't.

The gamecube controller is an instrument, and there's MANY ways to play an instrument.

If you need notable players to confirm a bias, M2k Swap's his grip a lot.

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Leffen and M2K both switch to claw from time to time. Silent Wolf also claws alot. Before I learned claw (it took me about 1 month.... Sorry to the other guys. It honestly just about practice and persistence) i did my uairs with X slight up on the control stick and Z. They were frame perfect but i struggle to control my drift. And instant uair is amazing at chasing certain DI's on throws I also play marth so I struggled doing SH double fairs to the right without drifiting to the right. I definitely couldn't fade away.

So I learned claw to accomplish those. You just have to make the commitment to do this action using claw. The more you do it the faster it gets. I do every upsmash with fox in claw. I waveshine marth into dash jc upsmash and get it 90% of the time. I can even get luigi. After practice you can honestly go back an forth super quick) You don't have to claw every action. Just certain actions. I switch back and forth all the time without thinking about it.

Magus420

Smash Master
I switch between a 'normal' grip and bringing my index finger down from Z/R to press Y with the side of it to do instant c-stick aerials out of full horizontal jump/DJ (and float stuff if using Peach). I find it awkward to SH with my finger like that for the quicker characters, so to do full drift SH instant u-air I press Y/X+c-stick using the tip of my thumb for jump and hit c-stick up with the base of my thumb by moving my hand upward (sounds weird but it's easy to nudge the stick upward like this. not so much other directions). Claw for other instant c-stick aerials though like u-throw knee on behind DI, and for FJ u-airs.

Last edited:

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Wow I didn't know that people could switch back and forth like that! That's actually super interesting! thanks everyone for the great responses!

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
so to do full drift SH instant u-air I press Y/X+c-stick using the tip of my thumb for jump and hit c-stick up with the base of my thumb by moving my hand upward (sounds weird but it's easy to nudge the stick upward like this. not so much other directions).
So you do kadano's thanar grip method for those?? Seems perfect for those now that I think about it.

Astherath

Smash Cadet
For regular instant uairs, I use Y and cstick up, but for uairs OoS, double tap the cstick up very fast and light, you'll get a very fast uair OoS. This method caused me the least hand pain after hours of practice, and is also, for me at least, the most reliable.

As far as OoS aerial options are concerned, uair and knee are the best by far, as they're the fastest, but maybe not the most reliable.

Top Bottom