• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

instant uair

sam:)

Smash Cadet
how the hell is this done? i can do it in singleplayer but what method is best for it to be done in a match?

how i usually do it is i input slightly up on the joystick (like you would for a tilt) then sh with x and press a immediately. the problem is that it takes too long to set up. is it better to move your thumb super saiyan fast to the c-stick?

Last edited:

Astrumqt

Smash Rookie
that might help some yeah, but the issue isn't how fast i move my finger from x to a, it's the joystick positioning.
If the problem isn't how fast you input the aerial, is it just that you don't have your analog ready in the up position fast enough? If that's the case, then literally the only thing I can tell you is that yes, you need to preemptively have it point up before inputting the aerial. Just like any other aerial really.

Usually when people have trouble with instant uairs, it's because they can't input A/Z/C-Stick Up after the jump fast enough.

Last edited:

carnivore

Smash Cadet
how could it be faster to move your thumb to the c-stick when youre left thumb is already on the control stick

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I recommend C-stick. Much harder, but if you master it, it will be easier to chain instant Uairs at lower percents.

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
I bring my pointer finger over from the right trigger/z and use it to jump with Y, then i input the instant uair with the C-stick. Took me a while to get the speed and control to be able to sh instant uair and follow up, but i can do it now its fun times.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Use c-stick, either by clawing or using your palm. You get full control of your horizontal momentum that way anyway.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
If you short hop with the control stick, then you make it virtually impossible to do inital dash -> instant Uair.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
Dash, sh with X/Y, tilt up-A.

This is the method all the best Falcons I know use. I use it as well. This works OoS and from a dash.

Don't use the c-stick. Trust me.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
Yeah, I think it's more important to do that OoS (which seems impossible with c-stick) than to be able do instant up airs with backwards momentum (which seems impossible with analog stick) but I haven't found a use for that yet.

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
Hitting a standing fox is a good benchmark. Once you can do that try Ness. I'm not sure if any shorter characters can be hit with it.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
^^That's what I do. Comes out instantly, even oos. Difficult, yes, but gives you perfect control over your momentum.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
I use the method zhea stated

IIRC I think the lowest or shortest instant uair can hit is standing game and watch.

Mario, Doc and Ness can also be hit in when standing.

running instant uair and pivot instant uair are something worth considering applying and messing around

fastfalling lcancel isnt really necessary but can be done

iirc 2 frame difference between fastfall l cancel and auto cancel

Last edited:

CriticalRibbon

Smash Rookie
There's a trick for this that not everybody knows due to the fact that control stick motions ARE NOT READ during jumpsquat. Essentially you can shorthop with x or y, ram the control stick to the fully up position DURING your jumpsquat, and then press Z the moment your jumpsquat ends. It requires no extraneous hand motion, doesn't mess up your control, and frankly it's not that difficult.

carnivore

Smash Cadet
Is there a benchmark for knowing your uair is instant? Hitting crouching *insert character* for instance...
The absolute benchmark that you did an instant uair perfectly is to not fast fall after an instant uair attempt and press up on the control stick when you're about to hit the ground. if your double jump comes out it means you did an instant uair.

EDIT: turns out this is wrong lol. standing ness or game and watch seem to be better benchmarks. I think the double jump test has a two frame window

Last edited:
Top Bottom