• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Kill Up-B Glitch?

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
So I was just playing some matches with a guy I found on a thread b4 going with a friend to his house to help him move in(in his car now). So I play G&W and he plays Mario, and it's a three stock match, I just lost my second stock, he's at high percent and offstage.

I run to the ledge to wait for his recovery since I can't get offstage in time and naturally he does the Super Jump Punch to get back on stage after getting pushed off the ledge. I'M NOT READY FOR WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. He goes just a leeeetle bit over the lip with it, enough to get exactly one coin out of me, who was down smashing naively at the ledge. The red lightning of death appears and I die to a Star KO off the top in one second. AT 2%. WTF. Anyone of you Mario mains know what I just described? Below is a video.

Here it is in stunning 1080p, featuring the lovechild of Chris Tucker and Westballs...

Last edited:

Marioafied

Smash Champion
NNID
job181936
bruh its not a glich i have replays of doing that all the time

Marioafied

Smash Champion
NNID
job181936
Did u get stage spiked cause thats the only way u can tech it

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
As far as I know, there's a specific frame in Mario's Up B that has a set knockback, regardless of %, that only depends on the opponent's weight. Since G&W is a light character, the set knockback will be huge. Probably your opponent hit you with precisely that frame of the Up B.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
dying off the top at 2% does not sound like an intended mechanic for mario's up b

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It's not a glitch. It's a combination of a hitbox with high set knockback, rage, hitting Game & Watch while charging a smash attack, and Game & Watch's low weight.

You won't be able to get much out of this, hate to break it to you.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
It's not a glitch. It's a combination of a hitbox with high set knockback, rage, hitting Game & Watch while charging a smash attack, and Game & Watch's low weight.

You won't be able to get much out of this, hate to break it to you.
Do you know what the KB equation is in this game? Has it been found? This is like the biggest exploit of it I've ever seen.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Do you know what the KB equation is in this game? Has it been found? This is like the biggest exploit of it I've ever seen.
Well, as mentioned, it's essentially a version of the One-Inch Punch (the "One-Coin Punch," if you will ;)). It was a combination of factors, the main one being your smash-charging status and the lesser one being his high rage.

A few similar events to it have been documented: Luma's UTilt killing Bowser Jr. at like 15%, seeing red lightning from the first hit of Screw Attack on Jigglypuff (the rest of the hits connected, though), and the first hit of Toon Link's DSmash sending foes too far offstage to recover (not as extreme, but a horizontal example). With the exception of Luma's UTilt, which just has stupidly high base knockback, all the others are multi-hit moves that failed to link into the rest of the attack. It's kind if poor game design to not expect the moves to never fail to link but whatever.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
It's probably dependant of whether you're on rage state or not :p

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
This is very interesting! We know that Mario's up+b has a lot of hitboxes that attempt to string the move together based on many factors. I know that when Mario has rage, and you downthrow into up+b on some characters, they get the red outline around them that a character gets after Player 1 has launched them, but it is shortly cancelled out by another up+b hit, stringing many 1-3%'s into up to 13% or so (?). What happened here may be that he hit you with literally one frame (maybe one with high/the most knockback, as we know the final one isn't because this isn't common in complete up+b strings) of his up+b, and instead if linking to the rest of the move, you DI'd out of it and were only hit with the powerful frame, instead of being strung into the entire move.
I could be very wrong, so don't quote me...This is very interesting, though--thank you for sharing!

Top Bottom