• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

insects

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
if you live in the united states, then you know that summer will be arriving shortly. as i am sure you all know, summer is the time when you can go out and relax with your friends and take a vacation. you can also study as an intern or work with a summer job.

but summer brings another thing that winter tends to hide...
insects! pests! bugs! argh!
i already have moths and ants creeping around my house. pesticides, like medicine, will treat the symptoms of the problem but rarely the source. so i do not use them because they are poisonous to my health.

but ants and silverfish are the worst i ever get in my house. silverfish do not tend to come out until the later months of summer, and always in small amounts. very creepy though. i hate bugs.

do you have an experience with pests or insects that you'd like to share?

xX'Mitsurugi'Xx

Smash Ace
Yes, I spent 3yrs dealing in the buying and selling various pesticides and bug killer. Silver fish not to sure what to do about those little buggers, but ants.... you've got a few way you can take care of them. You can spread out some granular poison that they'll take back to their hill and it will evetually get the queen or (I found this to work the best) You can put down a bug killer called Terro. Awesome stuff, you should be able to find it in your nearest home and garden store. You could also do the alternative and hire an exterminator. :p

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i live in my house's attic (it could almost be a separate suite, lol) and i get LOT's of silverfish and wasps that sneak through the insulation and into my room. silverfish i generally ignore and let them die on their own but wasps i have to kill out of fear of being stung. so i just try to smack it with a Time magazine or shoot it with and airsoft gun. i use that ortho home defense once a month just to make sure there aren't any outbreaks of them. then i have to deal with ants in the kitchen in the later months of summer.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I get spiders and roaches throughout the year (not so much in winter though)

<3 bathrooms. The toilet is well acquainted with those two (I grab them with toilet paper and flush)

In Northeast Pennsylvania:

The ants start marching in spring. There's also bees and other "stay the hell away from" insects (wasps, yellowjackets, etc), which makes putting the air conditioning in fun. I see one and I run back inside.

I got stung by them twice, both when I was very young.

The first time was at the Philadelphia Zoo. I was walking up some stairs when one came in and stung me (it was a building that had holes as windows), and the second/last time was about a year and a half later in the parking lot of a local grocery store.

D13

Smash Ace
Ugh, I hate bugs. I try to avoid killing them, but I will if I have to. Hah, just the other day I had an epic battle with a fly that refused to leave my room. I eventually got it with a kleenex box while it rested in a corner of the ceiling.

:bee:

I don't see many spiders in my house, though.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Being deathly allergic to bees, I avoid them at all costs. There's a good four or five of those neon yellow bee traps around our yard and we had our house sprayed on Friday to ward off any spiders, bees, silverfish, etc. that thought they'd be making their way into the house.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Being deathly allergic to bees, I avoid them at all costs. There's a good four or five of those neon yellow bee traps around our yard and we had our house sprayed on Friday to ward off any spiders, bees, silverfish, etc. that thought they'd be making their way into the house.
I'm not, but I avoid them at all costs anyway. Let's just say I have a healthy respect for them. :)

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I must be blessed somehow. It's pretty rare for bugs to be swarming around me, and even more rare for the buggers to bite me.

Flies and mosquitos are the big thing down here. Mosquitos tend to get people a lot, and flies are just really annoying by themselves. We get some dragonflies too, but not nearly as many as the previous two insects...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
My town is near a swamp (haha, its called the Okefenokee Swamp, and it passes firefox's spellcheck!), so during summer there are all kinds of bugs and swarms of **** everywhere.

The worst are these things that we just call Lovebugs, they come for a few weeks and they swarm ****ing everywhere and mess with each other. they get EVERYWHERE and there must be millions of them. so gross.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
My house is quite devoid of bugs during winter, but summer's a different story.

The biggest offenders are ants and small spiders (which are arachnids, not insects, but that's not the point). These are easy to take care of; a shoe or some toilet paper or tissue to grab and remove them will do the trick.

For bigger spiders or bugs, I'll try to catch them in a plastic cup that my family has designated for catching bugs and throwing them outside (it's less messy than squashing and less disgusting than crushing in a tissue).

We've had a couple silverfish, which are creepy as hell, but I haven't seen one in a couple years.

My old house though, where I lived until like 2nd grade, that was a scary place. There were freaking centipedes in it. Centipedes, like 6 inches long. They all met an untimely death by RAID. Thank god I haven't seen one of those monsters in years. I hate bugs so much.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I know a kid that hates bugs... and therefore does not believe they are animals... plus his own idiot mother taught him this way.

Insects are members of the Kingdom Animalia and belong to the phylum Arthropoda which also includes crustaceans...

If there is one thing i hate its ignorance and stupidity

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Louisiana summer equals bugs EVERYWHERE. Great thing about LA, get bit by a mosquito, probably ****ing West Nile. And the Roaches, my ****ing god the roaches!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I live in the desert. I work outside, at nighttime. Scorpions, grasshoppers the size of my hand, and tarantulas everywhere.

...okay, so I've only seen one tarantula, and three scorpions in the four years that I've lived here, but still. They're out there.

Peeze

Smash Master
I Live in florida, bugs are year round. Summer months bring lovebugs in billions. They die on the front of your car and their blood is acidic so it eats away at your paint.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
In Soviet Russia, bugs step on YOU!

In all seriousness though, in New Hampshire, bugs are really rare up until the end of may. Then they're everywhere. Mosquitos, gypsy moth catapillers, spiders, bees, ticks, plain moths, they're EVERYWHERE.

Then in the summertime, the Japanese Beetles (June Bugs? I forget) come. God, these things just land on everything and start ****ing eachother. So nasty. We end up buying these japanese beetle traps, which are, essentially, big plastic bags that stink. The beetles love the smell, fly in, and can't get out. THen you have to throw the bag away when it gets too full. NASTY. I swear, one day I'm gonna fall on top of one of those bags and crush every bug in there, which would be disgusting. Imagine the crunching noise... *shiver*

Matux

Smash Apprentice
3 days ago, my neighbour got a bee swarm in his garden. I liked wathing the big swarm hanging on a potted plant. After 20min the beekeeper arrived and brought a beehive with. After 2 hours the complete bee swarm was inside the hive and the beekeeper took them away. lol children played arround the bees but no child recieved a bee-sting. We have friendly bees in germany. :D

(sorry if the englisch is bad xD)

Top Bottom