• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inquiry About Zamus Mechanics and Custom Moves Optimization

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
So here is the deal: I have little to no experience with ZSS. I barely touched her in brawl and I only ever knew about her to play against her online/offline. With that said, I have trouble effectively using her grab tether in the air (not sure if it is even viable) and do not know anything to follow up with a grab besides Fair. Do not get me wrong, I do not want day one combos, I just want people, who have played the character in Brawl and tested her mechanics in SSB4, to give me their two cents on the matter.

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
ZSS has changed a LOT since Brawl, so the skills that worked in Brawl will not transfer over too well.

Her Zair is like most Zairs. Hitting it will take practice and is more useful against some characters than others. Characters like Jigglypuff will not be good characters to use it on. Bigger characters like Bowser will be good targets. The easiest time to use it is against characters that frequently use short hopped aerials. If you really want to know about Zairs though, you might want to poke around the Samus boards. They'd have more info.

Following up with throws gives you a few options. At mid/high percentages, Fair is the way to go. This will generally put them off the stage, and put them in an awkward positions.

At lower percentages, see if you can run forward just a bit, and then go for an up air. Up air is easier to follow up on (with another up air most likely). You can also choose to not follow up directly. You can wait on the ground, try to bait an airdodge and punish with Up B if they're at KO percentages (120 or so).

Basically, you have tons of options, so mix it up depending on the character and situation.

Again I'll repeat, ZSS is an entirely different character in this game. Her spacing game has been nerfed hard, but she has far better mobility options. She has some really interesting options that will be tough to deal with.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
ZSS has changed a LOT since Brawl, so the skills that worked in Brawl will not transfer over too well.

Her Zair is like most Zairs. Hitting it will take practice and is more useful against some characters than others. Characters like Jigglypuff will not be good characters to use it on. Bigger characters like Bowser will be good targets. The easiest time to use it is against characters that frequently use short hopped aerials. If you really want to know about Zairs though, you might want to poke around the Samus boards. They'd have more info.

Following up with throws gives you a few options. At mid/high percentages, Fair is the way to go. This will generally put them off the stage, and put them in an awkward positions.

At lower percentages, see if you can run forward just a bit, and then go for an up air. Up air is easier to follow up on (with another up air most likely). You can also choose to not follow up directly. You can wait on the ground, try to bait an airdodge and punish with Up B if they're at KO percentages (120 or so).

Basically, you have tons of options, so mix it up depending on the character and situation.

Again I'll repeat, ZSS is an entirely different character in this game. Her spacing game has been nerfed hard, but she has far better mobility options. She has some really interesting options that will be tough to deal with.
Thanks man! I see how strong the UP-B is and I'm practicing hitting the Uairs at lower percentages.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
I tried that and it actually works! The Uair knock-back is abysmal until higher percentages so combo'ing into UP-B is possible. I'm going to test and see how high % I can get with different size characters.

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
I tried that and it actually works! The Uair knock-back is abysmal until higher percentages so combo'ing into UP-B is possible. I'm going to test and see how high % I can get with different size characters.
Cool. The question is if it works at percentages where the Uair can KO. Maybe if you stale the Uair.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
As of now it does not link with the KO'ing kick at higher percentages. It's still good for racking up damage.

K Buns

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0146-9868-4081
I'm pretty sure the KO component to the up-b will work off of a double jump up air if you space it properly. I've been able to land it at ~90-100%. But of course, it's DI dependent.

Top Bottom