• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Innovation Idea - an XLS International results archive containing character Data

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Ok, seeing the end of the melee period for my private SOI(Smashers Of Israel) community archive that contains all the tournament placements from our community with dates,nicknames and personal contact information, I am inclined to propose a similiar treatment to the international community as a whole, and seperate it into 2 parts.

Part 1 will be a list of players, each player having his first+last name, his nickname, his location(physical) and results he obtained at various tournaments, the tournaments themselves will be dated and chronologically ordered, and I might consider creating diffrent sheets for each month\period\year, depending on how big the archive gets.

In time, or if the project takes fruit, I will divide the players into a sort of tier formation according to tournament achievments and winnings and participation rate, but this is still far from being part of the initial idea.

Part 2 will be a chart dividing character winnings into tournaments, while writing down the top 8 best placed characters for each tournament, with player nicknames to indicate who they were used by, using this format, you can then create a chart of character placements in tournaments and use that for tier list data.

what do you guys think?

also, for those of you that wish to see how our file looks like, you can try this link for the israeli database file, which contains 23 Melee tourneys with 87 participants, and 1 brawl tourney with 16 participants.

our file is not character oriented, but if I make an international file, it will be.

the criteria for appearing in this file should be minimum prize money for the tournament, which IMO should stand at 100$. meaning tournaments with less than overall 100$ prize will not be in the file, to make it cleaner and more efficient.

also, if too many participants are in it, I think it's appropriate to count only the top 16 of each said tournament, and thus get more refined data, but accuracy will drop.

the Japanese community also holds similiar charts, one for the Kariya smash tournament(Karisuma in short) which had 9 incarnations, and one for the Kansai Ranking battle(Ketsubato) which had 14-15 incarnations, other Japanese tournaments have not ranked themselves in any way that I know of. the diffrence here is that Japanese tournaments hold no prizes, and are relatively small(biggest had ~100 participants), so holding ALL participants is not a problem, but when looking at the International community as a whole, you don't have the luxury of doing that.

comments? opinions? suggestions? if the calling for this is serious and competetive, I will put my heart and soul into it.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hello!

I've actually been running something like this for the past year, "tia tournament archive". It takes results from my tournament program, "tio tournament organizer", and lets players tie their tournament appearances together into a Facebook-like social networking profile. The archive had ~300 tournaments in it from all over the world.

Of course, tia is no more, having transformed into All is Brawl, but the tournament archive is intact and as powerful as ever. A few examples:

Super Champ Combo results (200+ tournament in Sept 2007)
Cort's profile with tournament and social networking features

Check it out, I think you'd like it. One of the most convenient features is that the system uses the same data file you created when running the tournament with tio (which you should be doing ;)), so you don't have to spend lots of time updating Excel files and figuring out bracket matchups or anything silly like that.

Top Bottom