• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Initial testing and thoughts on Sheik customs

Tristan_win

Not dead.

Hey everyone, it took me some time but I finally unlock all of Sheik custom moves! Yay~
So here's some information I've been able to scrap up about them and some of my thoughts.

Needles
Regular needles are a great move in smash4 as they hold a decent amount of stun to them, travel super fast, when fully charged and thrown has a fairly large horizontal hit box while flying, can hit people more then half the distance of final destination away and have fairly little cool down and start up. Out of the three options for needles they do the most damage and none of the other custom are overwhelming better so overall they are never a bad choice.
  • When fully charged throws 6 projectiles
  • 11% damage full charge at point blank and up to 1 sheik backroll and three steps back
  • 7% at max range assume all needles hit
  • 1 needle does 1% at point blank or at max range.
Penetrating Needles

Penetrate needles act very similarly mechanically to regular needles but they have a noteworthy change and that's they don't stop when they hit someone or something. By it shields, people, items, other projectiles it doesn't matter the needle will continue it's path, because of this unique trait penetrate needles have a few nerfs when compared to regular needles but even more interesting it has few additional buffs as well making it it's own thing. Overall I don't think it's better or worst then regular needles but wonderfully balanced for any match up depending on your style of course.

• When fully charge throws 3 projectiles
  • 6% damage full charge at point blank to 1 sheik backroll and 8 steps back (almost it's max range)
  • 4% at max range assume all needles hit
  • Max range is just under half the distance of Final destination
  • 1 needle does 1% at point blank or max range
  • Stacks much faster
  • Less lag after throwing needles, initial testing show roughly the same stun/knock back on the needles themselves but a more in depth study could prove they are more combo friendly then normal needles.

Stun needle

Ahh, the stun needle. Moves like the stun needle is why customs moves should be made a part of the competitive scene as it completely breaks the mold of what Sheik needles are suppose to do. When you are thinking about this move you can't compare it to regular needles or penetrate but more to Zero suit paralyze zapper. Do you even dare to imagine what Sheik could do with Zero suit zapper? I haven't mess around with it too much yet but after reading @ _Tree _Tree thread it's definitely looking promising. Overall I think this move will be a medium risk, high reward move that will most likely be overlook until that one unique Sheik player proves how good it can really be.

• Can't be charged
  • 1% at point blank
  • 1% at max range
  • Max range is less then penetrate needle but only by like 2 steps..so whatever.
  • Difficult to use in the air as sheik needs to at least double jump to throw 1 needle on stage
  • High scaling for stun allow sheik to use whatever she wants when it lands
  • Cannot stun someone again in a short period (testing needs to be done to see how long exactly)
Normal Side B

Sheik normal side B is without a doubt interesting, with its large multi hitting wind box and explosion, good damage and its combo ability at any percentage if you’re willing to commit to your next move without confirming the hit is nothing to be scuff at. Still this move start up is a bit off putting when you compare to Sheik normal hype quick speed so it’s going to be rough to add to your normal play. It should still be worth it though and there’s already some creative ways to help add this to your play being noted like what @ Jackson Jackson pointed out.

• 12% if you don’t including windbox hits
  • Grenade has an active hit box, although very weak it can’t combo into its self
  • Large hit box with a muti hit wind effect before
  • Grenade explodes if hit
  • Kills roughly around 137% against a training dummy Mario off the sides.
  • Max range on stage is just over half the distance of final destination if you’re willing to double jump for it.
  • Max range on the ground is roughly instant dash attack distance or a dash grab.

Gravity grenade

Gravity grenade, it’s just the best. Moving on~ … Okay it’s not perfect but it’s insanely good. I’ve been able to combo a training dummy Mario with it into tipper usmash even at 300%. With that said it doesn’t have set knock back, just really poor scaling so this could mean DI/VI could affect this some. Here’s the thing though even if they could DI/VI up to avoid the usmash you could still do a uair or fair or whatever you want to hit them and in the low/mid percents they still won’t be able to escape the usmash much less any other combo continuer like ftilt or a grab. If it hits beyond its ‘point blank’ range it doesn’t combo so reliable into your normal close range moves though, but bouncing fish become guaranteed instead so that’s not something to really whine about and with Pisces it's even better.
  • 4% no wind box
  • Grenade does zero damage/no effects when it hits someone but it can still hit people so that’s good
  • Explosion smaller so you need to be more precise
  • Grenade explodes if hit
  • Shortest range possible is longer than normal side B so beyond a instant dash attack
  • Max range in the air is ¾ of final destination
  • Max range on the ground is half of final destination
Bouncing grenade
The bouncing grenade is my personal favorite with its delightful little bounces. What makes the bouncing grenade interesting is how it’s knock back is nearly horizontal. Both attacks speed and damage is the same with gravity grenade but with it sending people away it makes it perfect for setting up gimps. If you hit someone with a grenade after 60% chances are they are going to be off stage and in match ups where you feel Sheik could gimp much better than her smashes/bouncing fish could kill onstage this could be argue to be better. This is even more true if the gravity grenade is shown to be unable to set people up within killing percents of Sheik kill options.

• 4% Grenade is prone to hit multiple times if allowed
  • Max range and short, seem to be the same as normal burst grenade
  • Grenade can combo into the explosion but not always
  • Grenade can bounce up to three time, on forth it explodes.
  • Grenade explosion is smaller than normal side B but I’m unsure if it’s the same size as gravity grenade
  • Kills at 181% against a training dummy Mario off the sides
Bouncing fish

This move, THIS move is quickly becoming the identity of Sheik in smash4 with its good damage, knock back, cool down, range, combo ability, adjust ability, mobility and style. This move is just amazing for sheik to have and worth the removal of Zelda. …

Hey let me teach you a little trick in making bouncing fish over powered. Turn on your game
I’ll wait…. … Cool now go to battle field with platforms on, stand on the top platform and roll to the edge, it doesn’t matter which way just make sure you are on the very edge of the platform. Good? Okay now do a bouncing fish max range to the far side of the stage, make sure to be holding right the whole way to get the most out of it…. … Did you see it? You can edge cancel the bouncing fish. What this means we can do a bouncing fish on the stage with zero landing lag. Try doing it again but this time when you slide off do another bouncing fish, it will be nearly instant and you can go left or right. Heck if you’re good enough you can do another bouncing fish of the 2nd platform inside edge if you adjust it making it so you can do 3 BF in a row. Because we can greatly adjust the distance bouncing fish covers we can do this at any point on the stage not just limited to this one starting point.

Enjoy your new toy.

• 12% damage
  • Kill Mario on the far side of the stage at 111% with killing effect
  • If you spam b or A you can attack sooner
  • Attack sooner allows you to hit people if they are standing above you on battle field
  • Can be greatly adjusted by holding left or right, increasing the range or decreasing it in real time.
  • When you hit someone or shield spamming a or b is the fastest way to escape lag unless you land on a platform first.
  • Can wall bouncing
  • Can sweet spot, even after wall bounce
  • Can be cancel of ledges
  • Can be combo into even in killing percents
  • Can have a third hit if you land or bounce off a wall with the 2nd part.
Jelly fish

The jelly fish is an interesting choice for the down B, it’s not bad by any means but I think it will be match up dependent or heavily preference based. It is worth noting it does more damage and kills a lot sooner than normal down B. This move will most likely find its place as a anti air move or a good edge guard if your opponents like to recover low and grab the ledge as the kick covers a lot of vertical space. I currently can’t see how good this option really is until I try using it seriously but I would be a fool to say it’s bad. Other than that I’ll let my notes speak for themselves.

• Deal 18% damage
  • First hit has set knock back, combo confirm to work even at 999%
  • Kills at 90% with killing effect (I had Mario stand a bit before the edge to be fair as it would send him outwards with the first kick anyways.
  • You have a lot of control of when you can kick and where you can be when you land the kick on the 2nd part.
  • After landing both kicks it will send Mario behind you, thus making this harder to use for its highest killing potential on stage
  • Unable to perform the 2nd part if you land on an opponent who’s in the air, it has normal away from you knock back
  • Kill at 94% with killing effect if you land with just the first kick no follow up, this can only be done to opponents if they are in the air.
  • Can be edge cancel too, allowing sheik to have a amazing above edge and below control.
Pisces

The Pisces is a very different and after stun needle I feel helps break the Sheik mold the most. When I first started testing this move I thought it was ‘meh’ but as I dove deeper I begin to notice it’s outstanding potential. Sadly I feel the developer also saw some of its potential as well as it has a few built in flaws. Pisces allows sheik to move very quickly close to the ground at a slightly adjustable amount, its kick takes a bit of time to come out so for most of it Sheik is unable to hit anyone. This turns out to be a good thing though as it means this move is perfect for doing a sort of fox trot or if you need to quickly reposition yourself though your enemy you won’t have to worry about hitting their shield. This is where Pisces first built in flaw comes into play, when you do hit a wall, an opponent or shield you suffer from a gross amount of lag. you can shorten it a bit by landing but even so the developers figure this out and force Sheik to spot dodge (no IF) on landing. Because of this you want to very rarely use this move to damage or kill as it’s very punishable on shields. It’s 2nd flaw is how it sends sheik a crazy distance forward if you’re not careful after hitting a opponent, it doesn’t help either that it send them behind you. Because of this makes it not only hard to kill with near the edges of the stage but very risky to use for gimping. THANKFULLY you actually have a decent amount of control of Sheik after the hit and if you hold back toward where you came from you can drastically shorten the distance you travel. This move has a lot of potential with just how fast it makes Sheik, it's raw destructive power and it does have some combo ability although much more limited than the normal bouncing fish, this move could maybe one day be Sheik best down B option but as of right now I think all down B are about equal in usefulness with maybe jellyfish lacking behind only because it's useability isn't so obvious.

• 15% damage
  • Can kill Mario from the CENTER of final destination at 116% with kill effect
  • Can kill Mario standing the farthest side at 81% with kill effects (holy ****)
  • No 2nd part
  • Distance on the ground can be shorten if you quickly jump first, even doing it instantly after jumping will shorten the range which is good for a mock dash dance. The attack can also come out sooner
  • Hitting b or a will make the attack come out quicker
  • Can be edge cancel BUT good luck with that!
  • Can wall bounce and sweet spot.
  • Can cross all of final destination in 2 and ½ down B’s.
Vanish…. Okay I’m tried and I’ve been writing this for like 2 days now so I’m phoning it in.

Vanish

Good. Enough said.

• 12% damage first part
  • 5% damage 2nd part
  • Lots of wind on 2nd part now
  • Can kill at 112% on the farthest corner on FD with kill effects
  • Can combo into the 2nd part,
  • Has the biggest hit box of the three up B options and can hit people of the ledge.
  • Can be used to edge guard very well or as a mock counter USE IT AGGRESSIVELY DAMN IT!
Gale

Bad. Enough said.
  • No damage or wind
  • Travel the same distance as normal vanish,
  • lots of landing lag, it has no purpose, it's just faster and that has never been a issue for sheik up B.
  • Never use it, if you do use it I’ll ask you why and then say you’re wrong or you need to get good. It’s that bad.
Abyss

This one is my personal favorite as it can spike and I wish I had more data on it.

• Has a spike effect on explosion and the whole distance travel making for a rather large spiking hit box, possibly the biggest the game.
  • Less range for recovery then normal up B as it doesn’t have the initial burst of vertical lift but instead make sheik hover in place. Because she hovers this makes is even better for spiking.
  • You can still do all the normal up B tricks with abyss including gliding.
  • This move could be godly against people who want to grab the ledge as you could just hover in front of them with a spike that they have to recover into.
Done

Conclusion : All of Sheik customs are good in their own way excluding Gale which has no purpose in life due to it not increasing sheik up B range.

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I actually like gale, will have to mess around with it bit vanish being faster is extremely attractive to me.

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Abyss would be my go-to recovery variation every time if not for the fact that it lowers distance travelled by quite a bit. Sheik is a great gimper and excels at off-stage play in this game, so I really think the extra vertical recovery of the original vanish is needed in order for that playstyle to be retained. I don't see myself choosing it over the original vanish, especially with everything the original has to offer besides just being longer. But like you said, we need more info on it, and I hope my decision can change.

Great write-up though. Very useful that you added little notes about each custom.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I actually like gale, will have to mess around with it bit vanish being faster is extremely attractive to me.
But your giving up Vanish which can kill and be used as a wall against recoveries. It isn't worth it and the speed means nothing now since you don't need to beat people to the edge. In fact the speed could be a bad thing as getting to the edge first means they can just kick you off and bair you! If you need a respacing tool down B3 is much better and if you need to recover up-b1 is the best with it's equal range and a active hit box.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
One important thing to bear in mind with Jellyfish is that it cannot be used to extend your recovery; it forces you into a rapid fall and will kill you if used offstage. Pisces can put you at a positional disadvantage if the bounce puts you offstage, it's the only customization that's potentially unsafe on block onstage (landing lag is a *****), and it's a less effective finisher than the default.

I've yet to find viable applications for Paralyzing Needle; the startup time makes it impractical and the reduced range doesn't help either. It covers about 40% of FD whereas the default needles cover ~60%. Setups near max range are difficult until your opponent approaches kill percent due to the ability to mash out of stun. Default needles simply have vastly more practical utility. Penetrating Needles might be useful for matchups like Rosalina and Duck Hunt.

Side-b is... eh. Most of the time something else could do the same job just as well, and often with far less risk/commitment. I'm running Gravity Grenade right now just because I can't find much else to do with it. Maybe if you need to cover a recovery from just above the bottom blast zone?

Abyss would be amazing if not for the reduction in range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom