• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important [Index] A Link to the Threads - LOOK HERE BEFORE CREATING A NEW THREAD!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Find It Here!
This is an on-going project to bring it all together. Using this thread, you should be able to find everything you need to get the most out of Link in Smash Bros. 4! If you can't find it here then you probably can't find it anywhere. That's the level of information I'm trying to bring to this project. Please feel free to leave a comment for any findings you come across that you think should be added to this project.

The Goal of this Thread
We here at the Link Boards greatly despise accidental or intentional spam threads. Any unfortunate soul who needlessly creates a new thread or bumps an already dead thread will be subject to the wrath of Din's Fire. However, it is understandable that sometimes valuable resources can become lost amid the sea of new threads making it difficult to tell whether a new thread is needed or not. The purpose of this thread is to eliminate that confusion by creating an index of all the important threads found on the Link boards. So for your safety and our sanity, always be sure to check the index before creating new threads.

Navigating this Thread
This thread is split into five different sections. Each section is centered around a theme or idea in an attempt to make threads easier to find. The different sections are:
  • Introduction - This is where you are now. This section serves to teach you what this thread is about and how to use it.
  • Guides - This section serves to showcase all of the written guides concerning Link. They can be anything from broad character guides to specific guides focusing on a single element in Link's metagame.
  • Instructional Videos - This section is used to show all of the videos that deal with teaching players how to perform various actions with Link.
  • Discussion Threads - This section brings together all of the ongoing and completed competitive discussion threads for Link.
  • Miscellaneous - Anything that doesn't fit into one of the above categories can be found here.
  • Past Resources - This is where you can find useful resources that were made for past Smash games, but could still be applied to Smash 4.
Don't forget that you can use your browser's search function by pressing CTRL+F to search for words on your current webpage.
Special Thanks!
A big thank you to Costlow, the original creator and initiator of this thread. I hope that I can continue to update his thread in a way that would make him proud.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Guides
Some think that a hero's only responsibility is saving the day, but a little known fact is that a lot of studying is necessary to be able to pull through for your princess under any given circumstance. So listen closely to what these men of genius have to say.​

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Instructional Videos
Much like Link himself, Link mains tend to be men of few words so I'll get right to it. I can see you've read the guides, so clearly you've learned all the tricks to playing Link. I think that's pretty impressive! Should you ever lose your way, seek a vision of the path from the videos below.

General

Link's Changes from Brawl to Smash U - A Moveset Comparison
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corresponding Post
by Zelkam
SSB4 - Possible Bomb Footstool Loop
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corresponding Post
by BryE
Master Sword
SSB4: Jab Cancelling Tutorial
Corresponding Post
by FartKnocker
Bombs
SSB4 - Link's Phoenix Bomb
Corresponding Post
by Zelkam
SSB4 - Link's F Bomb
Corresponding Post
by Zelkam
Z-Drop Bomb Bair walls and Zair Bomb Aerials
Corresponding Post
by BryE
SSB4 - Link's "Soft Bomb Throw"
Corresponding Post
by IntroducingAdam
Boomerang
Smash 4 AT - Dair Landing Lag Cancel with Boomerang
Corresponding Post
by Jtails
Clawshot
ZLedge Boost AT
Corresponding Post
by Elessar

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Discussion Threads
What hope there is in our main is frail and dying...but there's still a group trying to do what it can. A group which meets at the Link Boards working toward the common goal of bringing Link the recognition he deserves.

Link's Metagame Thread
by Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Miscellaneous Threads
Looks like you've gotten bigger and stronger already! Just ahead lies many of the social hangouts for the Link Boards. The Link Main's are a very close community that protect one another tyrannical staff member and scrubs alike. Their door will not open for anyone except those who show courage and the ability to work hard. Let them see you Do Work!​

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Yo Costlow, amazing amount of work shown here dude. If it's not particularly out of the way in your schedule you are welcome to the missing pieces of my contact info.
Alternates::4marth:,:4myfriends:,:4megaman:

keep up the fantastic work man, Dein Garn bist ausgezeichnet!

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Nice. I've decided to switch alternates, though.
It's now:4tlink: instead of :rosalina:. Thought that he'd be a better counter to R.O.B than Rosalina should I happen to face one. Of course, :4megaman: is still an alternate.

I have a suggestion: how about putting in a "notable feat" or "something he/she's known for" (if they have any) in the text box? It doesn't have to be related to Sm4sh, and it can be something like discovering a new glitch, being a top ranking player in ____, or being in the Olympics.
EX: Notable Feat- Discovered "Animation Storage" (AKA Turtle Skip) in A Link Between Worlds
That would be my feat, btw.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Nice. I've decided to switch alternates, though.
It's now:4tlink: instead of :rosalina:. Thought that he'd be a better counter to R.O.B than Rosalina should I happen to face one. Of course, :4megaman: is still an alternate.

I have a suggestion: how about putting in a "notable feat" or "something he/she's known for" (if they have any) in the text box? It doesn't have to be related to Sm4sh, and it can be something like discovering a new glitch, being a top ranking player in ____, or being in the Olympics.
EX: Notable Feat- Discovered "Animation Storage" (AKA Turtle Skip) in A Link Between Worlds
That would be my feat, btw.
I'm looking at that section as a bit of a Link main bio collection, so if you want to add more to it just say the word and I'll add to yours. I just added what was readily available to me. I know that certain people always play with a certain Link color, so I put that in some of them. I'll add your suggestion to the list of things for others to consider including as well.

Edit: I decided to call that new section "claim to fame". This way it doesn't have to be something you've done so much as anything that you think gives you some sort of bragging rights. :) Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I'm looking at that section as a bit of a Link main bio collection, so if you want to add more to it just say the word and I'll add to yours. I just added what was readily available to me. I know that certain people always play with a certain Link color, so I put that in some of them. I'll add your suggestion to the list of things for others to consider including as well.

Edit: I decided to call that new section "claim to fame". This way it doesn't have to be something you've done so much as anything that you think gives you some sort of bragging rights. :) Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Cool! Thanks a lot! Can't wait to see what our Link players have to say about that!

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Sure thing. Once I get the Q&A over here you can lock the old one if you want. Question though. What should I name this thread? Keep it as the Hyrule Royal Library or should it change to reflect that the Q&A is here?
I reckon just some basic title about what the thread does. Tourney Results, Q&A, Player Finder, Important Threads.

Thanks for all the help :)

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Ok. I made an overhaul to the OP and added the Q&A section with a few tweaks to it as well, to make it fit in more with the look of this thread. I'm trying to find some good images to add to the OP and other sections. If anyone has anything they think I might like to use, could you please give me a hand? Also, I'd like to make the Link Network a little more filled in so I think I'll just go start up a conversation to get some info for it. :)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Ok. I made an overhaul to the OP and added the Q&A section with a few tweaks to it as well, to make it fit in more with the look of this thread. I'm trying to find some good images to add to the OP and other sections. If anyone has anything they think I might like to use, could you please give me a hand? Also, I'd like to make the Link Network a little more filled in so I think I'll just go start up a conversation to get some info for it. :)
People could write up bio's about themselves if given some good questions.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm on it. :)

EDIT: In anticipation of the Wii U version release in just over a week, I have a question for anyone reading this. Up until this point in time, everything we've done to discuss Link's abilities has been done in the context of the 3DS version. So, I just want to ask... should I create a new version of this that is for the wii U version? I was thinking that maybe I'd move anything that came from the 3DS, to a new location and then make room for the wii U content, or I could just leave it as it is and simply integrate the Wii U stuff into the mix with the 3DS stuff. What do you think?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I've been "overly dedicated" to the video thread, so the video post might take some time to finish, lol.
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm on it. :)

EDIT: In anticipation of the Wii U version release in just over a week, I have a question for anyone reading this. Up until this point in time, everything we've done to discuss Link's abilities has been done in the context of the 3DS version. So, I just want to ask... should I create a new version of this that is for the wii U version? I was thinking that maybe I'd move anything that came from the 3DS, to a new location and then make room for the wii U content, or I could just leave it as it is and simply integrate the Wii U stuff into the mix with the 3DS stuff. What do you think?
I say make a new thread and merge all of the 3ds content and WiiU content into that thread. This thread is starting to look cluttered with all the new posts you're adding, so it'd be a good chance to clean up some things and organize the posts a little better. Make sure you reserve around 7 or more spots since the WiiU content might take a couple posts (or sections). This thread is looking great, and I can't wait to see it look better when the WiiU version come out!

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Double post. Welp. Link video guide needs to be updated since it's still the old video. Don't like having to click on the annotation to go to the updated version.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Double post. Welp. Link video guide needs to be updated since it's still the old video. Don't like having to click on the annotation to go to the updated version.
I'm on it. :)

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Since Wii-u smash is out, and if you're not too busy, Nintendo ID could be added to the contacts listing
You're right, and I was going to add that once the Wii U version was released. Thanks for the reminder. :)

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
So, Idk what the format for submitting is, but I just got 2nd out of 71 last night with Link. It was called Super Smash 4 Jack in Omaha, NE. My tag is Jester and there's a stream of the tournament here http://www.twitch.tv/camtendo/b/591387974.
I don't show up on stream til a few hours in because I lost round 1 and had to tear all the way through losers haha.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
So, Idk what the format for submitting is, but I just got 2nd out of 71 last night with Link. It was called Super Smash 4 Jack in Omaha, NE. My tag is Jester and there's a stream of the tournament here http://www.twitch.tv/camtendo/b/591387974.
I don't show up on stream til a few hours in because I lost round 1 and had to tear all the way through losers haha.
Nicely done! great to see Link take a top spot!

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Love this!
Main: Link Costume Fierce Deity Link
Secondary: Ike Costume Black.
NNID: Thegodlink
4Glory Wins: 321 Losses: 91

Ima upload my Link in serious action later!
Awesome Thread bro!

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Updated my profile?
I haven't found any great Link Players that can beat me.....
So would any1 good want to play?
Profile was a bad word for it. I was referring to the information in the wifi section. I'm not a great Link player either, sorry. I'm a scrub in training at this point. lol

Ariel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Late-Edition
3DS FC
0946-2355-0177
Hey, I'm looking to contribute as a Link main, so can I please be added to the network?

I main regular, ol' green Link, but also have fun with Sheik and Zelda. I've been playing Link since 64, I never played Melee, but continued throughout Brawl and now into 4.

I consider myself quite good with him and I think now my loyalty has payed off because my strategy works a lot better in Smash 4.

I do quite well with him online and have yet to encounter a character he can't handle. That is, if I do poorly, I do poorly as Sheik and Zelda too.

If anyone wants to go Link v. Link, I think they're the funnest matches to play. Thanks.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Hey, I'm looking to contribute as a Link main, so can I please be added to the network?

I main regular, ol' green Link, but also have fun with Sheik and Zelda. I've been playing Link since 64, I never played Melee, but continued throughout Brawl and now into 4.

I consider myself quite good with him and I think now my loyalty has payed off because my strategy works a lot better in Smash 4.

I do quite well with him online and have yet to encounter a character he can't handle. That is, if I do poorly, I do poorly as Sheik and Zelda too.

If anyone wants to go Link v. Link, I think they're the funnest matches to play. Thanks.
Ill play!

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Signing myself up for the Link Network @ CostLow CostLow

• ScreamPaste
  • Ontario Canada
  • Blue or Dark Link
  • I second Palutena and can play ZSS reasonably. (My ZSS is scub tier)
  • I'm usually free after 9:30 EST on week days, excepting Mondays. Weekends I am free all day.
  • I do have skype, PM me for it if you don't already have me.
  • I invented Beer Cancelling, administrated our old xat for a long stretch, and am generally impossible to offend.

Tristan's Rule

The Link of SoCal
Slippi.gg
RULE#492
I would also like to be added to this list :)
  • I go by Tristan's Rule
  • WiiU NNID - Tristans_Rule
  • SoCal, USA
  • idk if I can put multiple, but I usually run Dark Link, if not, then Blue and Fierce Diety
  • probably pikachu, jiggs and Samus for now
  • Most times anyday
  • Message for Skype
  • Youtube, Twitch, and Twitter
  • >90% win rate on FG, Won my first Sm4sh Tourney using link. (Local)

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I'll add you guys later today. I have a pretty nasty Honey Do List to complete today so I'm just checking in to see what I need to do later. lol

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Update my info:
Times: Nights during the week and afternoons on weekends

DonSclario

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonSclario
3DS FC
1907-9441-5859
Link-bro joining the ranks.

Skin:

NNID: DonSclario
3DS FC: 1907-9441-5859
Time available: 8pm-12am weekdays, 12PM-8PM weekends. Pacific Time.

EDIT: Link-bro not my name, just a way to call all of us "link-bros". Also, fixed my times and added skype. Thanks

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Link-bro joining the ranks.

Skin:

NNID: DonSclario
3DS FC: 1907-9441-5859
Time available: 8pm-12am weekdays, 12PM-8PM weekends. Pacific Time.

EDIT: Link-bro not my name, just a way to call all of us "link-bros". Also, fixed my times and added skype. Thanks
lol Gotcha. I thought that maybe you went by that in some other smash community. I'll make the changes right away. ;)

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I was gonna have you add me to the Link network, but I see you've already done so lol. Here's some other stuff you can add if you like.

Character skin: Skyloft Link
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ZelkamTV

Top Bottom