• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Indepth Questions on Replay Data

Mark_zerO_onE

Smash Rookie
Hello, I've been wondering this ever since replays were annunced at the Brawl website:
I know there is the Topic about Cracking Brawl Photo data, but what I want to know is never fully explained.

-How versitle is the save replay in Brawl?

I know you can save up to 3 minuts of repay, but how?
-Up to 3 min from each match (ex. 3 min in this one, 3 more in another match, total of 6 min worth of replay on the system)?

-Or 3 min total (ex: 28 seconds in match 1, 32 seconds in match 2, 2 min in match 3; totaling no more than 3 min)

-Also, when saving replay can you skip and record bits and pieces of a match (aka when cool stuff happens longer than the 3 min limit)?

-Most importantly: Are they in a format that is easily transferable to a computer and viewed there? Or is it like Halo 3 (where it can only be viewed on the Wii?) and not saved to a PC and viewable without stupied converting flie formats?

-Another point: is the replay data saved with the Smash save file or as separat individual saves like the photos in Melee?

Also what activates the recording?
Does it record matches automatically or do you have to pause it and record?
Nice addition

I do not have Brawl, but that is the most anticipated feature for me and many others. If anyone can shead light on this, that would be very enlightening. Thankyou.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it's 3 minutes from each match.

And no, it's not easily transferable to a PC from what I've heard:( Pictures aren't either

plasman

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. After a match is recorded, can you mess with the angles and zoom in/out and stuff like that while watching the replay?

usea

Smash Ace
At the end of a match on the results screen, if the match was under 3 minutes long, you get the option to save a replay of the match.

You can save more than one replay, but you can't save partial replays of matches that lasted longer than 3 minutes. The option to save a replay doesn't even come up unless the total time for a match was under 3 minutes.

The format is proprietary, only playable on the wii.

G&Wismyhomeboy

Smash Cadet
As far as I know, replay data is just an event list. It's not a video file; it's a script.

Replays will make it a lot easier to record matches, though. Instead of having to play with the tv capture card hooked up, you can replay the match later and record it that way through the normal tv capture card method.

Mark_zerO_onE

Smash Rookie
At the end of a match on the results screen, if the match was under 3 minutes long, you get the option to save a replay of the match.

You can save more than one replay, but you can't save partial replays of matches that lasted longer than 3 minutes. The option to save a replay doesn't even come up unless the total time for a match was under 3 minutes.

The format is proprietary, only playable on the wii.
Aw, dang. Thankyou anyway. I knew it was too good to be true....:(

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
So the only limit to how many replays you can save is how much memory you have?

From what usea said, it seems like if you really want to get your matches on your computer and/or on Youtube you should just record them with your computer directly.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
This is useless. Who wants to see a replay of 3 minute freeforall timed matches. Or even 3 minute stock matches(if offline replay data can be saved also).

usea

Smash Ace
Offline replay data can be saved as far as I know, I don't see why not. But any match worth seeing lasts longer than 3 minutes. So the feature is essentially worthless for recording/distributing competitive matches.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
Offline replay data can be saved as far as I know, I don't see why not. But any match worth seeing lasts longer than 3 minutes. So the feature is essentially worthless for recording/distributing competitive matches.
True.
The only 3 minute matches I've seen of competitive players are the ones where one guy gets owned fast.
A really good match would probably go 6 minutes or longer so I don't see how this feature is useful in competitive style. I guess it's back to capture cards. :ohwell:

Edit: This is my 408th post! Hahaha it's in my SN if you didn't notice.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. After a match is recorded, can you mess with the angles and zoom in/out and stuff like that while watching the replay?
I asked this from somebody and he said it's only possible to zoom at one character and angle the camera little bit around the character. There's no free camera like in Halo 3.

I haven't found a single video on the net that shows the replay mode in its fullest, though.

Top Bottom