• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increasing healing amount, til it starts feeling like a threat. How high is too high?

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I don't play WFT but I was quite surprised how little percent she heals from Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing. I assumed since she's a healthful character, healing would have been a more prevalent unique gimmick. I expected no less than 10% healing from Deep Breathing, and no less than 5% from Sun Salutation (healing gets staled) but in reality it's much lower than that. Suggesting this higher amount doesn't seem nowhere near ridiculous nor does it feel like asking for too much. It's literally healing ONE U-air of Diddy's, and I don't see how this would break the character or make things unfair in anyway especially when compared to how good other characters are.

When I encounter Diddy's or Rosalina's or Sonic's online, I feel THREAT before the game even starts. Then the game proceeds and despite how mediocre they are, I feel stressed because without a doubt these characters have moves that dominate and overall the current top tier characters just have a lot of good things going on for them. WFT needs a serious buff, she needs something threatening. Even just this simple buff in healing would emphasize her uniqueness and appeal to more people who would have had been initially drawn to pick her up. I would even go further and demand all her taunts should heal 1%. See how many you can do and get away with it. Would give WFT more personality and really make her unique in very awesome ways.

What do you WFT mains think? From your expert point of view,
what's the highest amount of percentage you'd pitch Deep Breathing and Sun Salutation to heal before you yourself would feel guilty and admit, "this is ridiculous."

Last edited:

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
I think having 3 different meteor smashes is pretty threatening, but as far as healing is concerned...

Deep Breathing - 10% first time, 5% second time, -1 after that until reset.

SS: 5% by itself, 10% with Deep Breathing (causes Deep Breathing to immediately end)

Last edited:
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...ot-realized-how-glaring-wfts-flaws-are.382928

http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-fit-trainer-needs-a-serious-buff.381917/

We already have TWO threads in which to complain about WFT's flaws/suggest buffs.

Anyway taunts healing 1% seems like a nice and reasonable gimmick. Imo DB should heal like 7%, 5% minimum with penalties factoring in, and Steady should heal like 10%. SS's healing should scale linearly with the charge (the way the damage output does); .5% at minimum charge and 5% at full charge.

I think it would be neat if her pummels healed her by .75% instead of damaging the opponent. Her pummel speed is pretty slow, but not slow enough that 1% would be reasonable. It would make no sense flavour-wise though so I dunno.

Her idle crouching animation should heal 1% for every push-up. Healing could happen every time she pushes up, rather than after she pushes up then lowers her body, since the animation normally takes a while to begin and players would likely have little reason to use this for healing after a stock over charging a SS.

Every 10% you heal through DB/SS/pummel/push-ups would amount to .5S added onto DB's duration. Why should Little Mac be the only one to get a damage-based meter mechanic?

WFT could be a really neat character with a really neat gimmick but oh well.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is their first time implementing this mechanic in the series, so I... understand why they were being so cautious of how it worked.

But agreed, it could have been done a lot less conservatively.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...ot-realized-how-glaring-wfts-flaws-are.382928

http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-fit-trainer-needs-a-serious-buff.381917/

We already have TWO threads in which to complain about WFT's flaws/suggest buffs.

Anyway taunts healing 1% seems like a nice and reasonable gimmick. Imo DB should heal like 7%, 5% minimum with penalties factoring in, and Steady should heal like 10%. SS's healing should scale linearly with the charge (the way the damage output does); .5% at minimum charge and 5% at full charge.

I think it would be neat if her pummels healed her by .75% instead of damaging the opponent. Her pummel speed is pretty slow, but not slow enough that 1% would be reasonable. It would make no sense flavour-wise though so I dunno.

Her idle crouching animation should heal 1% for every push-up. Healing could happen every time she pushes up, rather than after she pushes up then lowers her body, since the animation normally takes a while to begin and players would likely have little reason to use this for healing after a stock over charging a SS.

Every 10% you heal through DB/SS/pummel/push-ups would amount to .5S added onto DB's duration. Why should Little Mac be the only one to get a damage-based meter mechanic?

WFT could be a really neat character with a really neat gimmick but oh well.
Cool ideas!

I don't even main WFT so I shouldn't have that much higher incentive to buff WFT than you guys, but I think 7% is still too little. Can you be WAY more greedy? I understand buffing healing have been discussed many times before but for the purpose of this thread to be a little bit more unique, I want to see how high is too high. Why do other characters have the luxury to hover around "almost broken" while you guys stay modest with suggesting a mere 7%?

Last edited:
DB makes you take less damage anyway (x0.9) and it has relatively low startup without any penalties. I probably should have mentioned that DB should reduce damage taken by 30% instead (x0.7 damage) since 10% is a pittance. I suggested 7% max taking the rest of my thoughts into consideration; SS would be a really reliable way of healing off damage and it has excellent offensive presence to boot. Also that healing meter would get filled by a single DB, thought I guess the necessary healing to fill it could be bumped up to 18% (so you don't fill it after one DB and a fully charged SS).

Idk, healing 10% with like ~30F startup and basically getting Shulk's Shield Art and a mini Buster Art without any drawbacks seems like it would be too good, but then again this is WFT we're discussing.

Last edited:

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
WFT is all about proper spacing and timing, even more than Captain Falcon because of her moves' properties. Getting hit is punishment for messing up said spacing.

People are already complaining about Smash 4 matches taking too long, so the last thing Sakurai should do is make her even harder to K.O. by buffing her healing on top of her Deep Breathing.

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Indigo Jeans

I feel that WFT's healing properties could have been expanded upon a bit more since she's pretty much the only character who's capable of healing without relying on outside forces (PSI Magnet requires projectiles, Robin's Nosferatu has to connect in order to heal, etc.)

imo SS should heal 5%, and DB should heal 7% (taking all other DB perks into account). I feel that's enough to where it makes an impact, but not enough to where I'd consider it broken by any means.

In addition to this, I feel the devs missed an oppurtunity in not giving her a custom move that exchanged the other DB perks for healing 13-15% in tow of something like Explosive Breathing. It would have been way more useful, lemme tell you

Zeito

Smash Rookie
It would be cool to see Sun Salutation get the Dedede's effect of charging but in the opposite (Healing 1% every tick). Maybe loosing the full charge if getting hit or maybe making her more suceptible to flying as a good punishment.

Xyless

Smash Master
All you'd have to do to make the healing feel more threatening is by barely increasing how much the moves heal. Sun Salutation healing 2% instead of 1% and Deep Breathing healing 3% or 4% instead of 2% turns the healing into somewhat reasonable options without making them abusable to the point where they could really sway the battle.

3% for Deep Breathing actually makes the most sense to me, since her attacks gain a 3% damage boost anyways.

EDIT: geez, some of your guys' ideas are way too ridiculous for something like Smash 4, they sound like great ideas for Smash 4 Minus if that existed though.

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I don't know why they bothered giving Sun Salutation healing if it only heals 1% when it's fully charged. It feels so pointless that they should make it heal 3% at least, and maybe an extra 2% if it hits.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I think Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing were given low healing rates due to the nature of how certain players can be ignored in FFA matches (4 players and 8 players, for example). Yeah, it comes off really weak in 1vs1 and FFA is mostly "for fun" and "gimmicky" not to mention not really balanced anyhow but I do understand that as being the reason behind the low values.

At most, I would say Sun Salutation should be brought to 2% and Deep Breathing to 3%, maybe 4%. That alone would make me happy lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom